No Jive axle diameter?

It’s a slightly sloppy 9/64th, with a 6-32 thread.
It doesn’t fit a 1/8th hole in my drill gauge.

Looking at screw sizes:

For a number 6 the nearest size fractional drill is 9/64

3 Likes

Sloppy how? Is the axle not entirely round?

I mean it’s too big for a 1/8 hole and a bit of a loose fit in a 9/64 hole, which is the nearest fractional drill size.

Looking at the spec, it gives a diameter of .13 in. for a number 6 screw. A 9/64 drill has a .14 in. diameter.

3 Likes

What a pain in the rear. I was hoping to get a drill bit to make axle sleeves for a good tight fit.

Actually, it looks like that equates to 3.5mm which is actually easy for me to find. :+1:

Thanks for your help!

4 Likes

That would be a 9/64th bit. The wood sleeve is not a tight fit on the axle.
(or whatever is convenient for you to get)

Actually, 9/64th is the recommended clearance hole for a number 6 screw (which the axle basically is).

later…

Yes, persactly :roll_eyes:

I’d like it to be more tight. Crushing can be more easily avoided that way, as long as it’s not overtightened of course.

I don’t thank that is really a problem. If it were subject to crushing it would be more of an outward type of excursion than an inward, which the axle “might” alleviate. In any event you’re only talking a few thousands in the dimension.

1 Like

Yeah you’re right, I’d just like tighter tolerances.

The sleeves themselves are really sloppy. The are ovoid in shape and the hole through them is also pretty rough. I guess it must not matter so much.

The thickest part is (very approximately) 7.4mm. I’m not sure why they aren’t made with the entire sleeve that thickness, I would have thought that would improve response.

I’ve got some sleeves where the hole isn’t even centered on them. They don’t seem to have an effect on the yoyos. But I’d love to buy some decent axles when you get them made. I’m getting a little low on my stash of them.

There’s one way to find out…! :wink:

No problem. I have some other orders to do first, but I will be able to turn you some.

1 Like

Turning a few for @Rosenberg between making yoyos.

Original is on the left, then European beech, cypress pine, merbau and purpleheart.

20190120_145827

7 Likes

Wow this is super cool Glen. I saw @yoyospirit made aluminum and brass sleeves for No Jives but I kinda think the response would be mega weird with a metal sleeve.

3 Likes

It was very weird haha. Metal axles are very slick, so they require some response system with them, wood is not responsive enough.

3 Likes

Love the sleeves you made!

What do you mean that wood isn’t responsive enough? The wood sleeves?

1 Like

Haha I just read my reply and I was a bit confusing. I meant that the wooden surface of the yoyo doesn’t provide enough response for a metal axle to be used. Wood axle are perfectly fine tho!

3 Likes

Haha, yes that makes more sense.

2 Likes

Turns out the 3.5mm hole was just right for the axles as tested by @Rosenberg.
20190121_210429

8 Likes

Excellent! I might need some of these in the future :wink:

1 Like