No inventory (ever)

Scheduling doesnt work because drops are already a hectic thing:

• As a manufacturer you really don’t have much insight on when your order will be complete, mainly due to shipping delays to manufacturer delays plus not knowing where you are in the queue although you can usually estimate x amount.

• Then once the yoyo’s are in depending on the size of the run QC testing can take a while.

• Shipping A/B-grades to team and getting them ready to build hype for the product while coordinating reviews also sucks up time as well.

When you add marketing tactics like artificial scarcity there ends up being a lot more pressure on the drop and on those buying in. For most shops, selling out is a good look, artificially created or not.

^ not accusing anyone here just a tactic that is used sometimes by some companies. Speaking generally.

There are definitely plenty of brands that are accessible, while making amazing yoyos and If we look at their drop hype it’s less based on FOMO. Typically folks are more invested in the team overall as well I’d say.

Good examples of the latter bunch being: GoodLife, Thesis, MK1, Dressel, the list goes on.

5 Likes

Might have been said before, but smaller boutique brands only have so much money to spend on inventory at once, and there is a huge turnaround time between orders and restocks (there’s been a current trend to just do 1 run and be done as well)

If a design does well it could be half a year after sell out (or longer) between stock depending on order time, testing, ano, etc.

9 Likes

I think being dumb is the whole brand… and I love it. Would they get all this hate for the pricing if they weren’t such polarizing figures?

2 Likes

I’m sure they would. And yet they could bring the price up to $199 usd and still sell out in minutes lol

I don’t know if I’d call it “hate”, more like valid criticism. $120+ for a monometal aluminum yoyo is ridiculous at this point regardless of who’s making or designing it. I think it’s more debatable when it comes to custom/intricate anodization or unconventional finishes. You’re right, a-RT has really made a name for themselves with a unique combination of dumb jokes, counterculture, and crappy QC. Some people love it but I prefer to let other people buy from them so I know what I’m getting before I pay up.

9 Likes

I wouldnt call supporting hate speech and using slur’s at the puns of jokes as dumb jokes. It’s wild that A-RT is somehow immune from their actions because they are “cool”.

12 Likes

They definitely aren’t immune, they lost paying customers when people saw what Chase had been up to after the Inhaler release. I’m not sure I agree with the idea that the company deserves to fail based on offensive things they’ve said on social media, which is what I believe I’m seeing implied by a few people here and elsewhere.

1 Like

I’d like to point out I never mentioned anything about cost or quality. Just inventory and organization. :man_shrugging: This spiraled out quick.

5 Likes

Haha. Sorry dude. We’ve collectively been a little prone to rabbit trails this past month…

3 Likes

To clear it up at a basic: Delays + marketing + run sizes vs demand can make it hard to keep inventory. Making more isnt always an option as well.

5 Likes

That’s fine. I’m just trying to say that might be something potential buyers would like to know. Or if there will be more.

2 Likes

I think they said it is actually 7075 in a comment that they left on their insta

1 Like

They used to have stuff in stock on the regular, but there has been an insane boom in the demand for monkeys over the last couple years……

5 Likes

In 2019 i recall a gelada 2.1 sitting at a retail store for a month or 2…i actually bought 2 from that store cause it was there for so long.

1 Like

Right. Fire Devils we’re in stock for weeks.

1 Like

#oldmanyoyoing!

4 Likes

Hey I resemble that remark! :rofl:

2 Likes

Only to the consumer. It has to be business for the manufacturer or they won’t be in bussiness for very long…

7 Likes

it’s just not a high volume business. People really like the smaller boutique companies and smaller runs are just the only way to make it work. I do agree some of the websites could use some retooling taking this kind of business model into account.

Personally i would be lying if i said i didn’t enjoy the collector aspect of it all.

1 Like

Why is OHandyJenkins’ posts being removed? Most of the posts received many up-votes. So why the removal?

These kinds of removals need to be explained when others have already responded positively. I personally have seen my abusers flag replies to their abuse in order to stifle dissent. Also; way too much inconsistency in these removals. Certain users are allowed to say anything (cough *yoyodoc *); while others are flagged for responding to insults and bullying.

Oh; and I am sure this will be removed as “off topic”; or some other passive-aggressive reason.

1 Like