No inventory (ever)

I’ve noticed quite a few companies that never carry inventory. I understand the benefits of that, but why have a “online store” that lists multiple products that you can never buy from the site. One company flaunts having two stores, one for the public and one for members, but I’ve never seen a actual product for sale. And why doesn’t anyone list their production schedule so people can see what’s coming up? And if you’re not going to produce more, why not say it’s out of production and take it off the “store”?

5 Likes

Well I hope that works for them. It doesn’t sound like good business to me.

7 Likes

You have no idea how useful this is for finding the specs of older yoyos. I wish YoYoExpert would do this, but they usually remove old yoyos that are sold out and won’t ever see a rerun like the Jazzyo Regulus II. I love stores that do this, they make specs very easy to find. I absolutely detest looking up G2 yoyos because of this exact reason. The specs of quite a few of their yo-yos can’t be found anywhere, some are hidden within review videos that you have to skimp through to just get the specs. It’s extremely annoying. The site has a page for all of their yoyos, but it hasn’t been updated in years and every single G2 yoyo after the Elite 2018 is not on there. They said they were going to update it but I have no idea when that day will come.

15 Likes

I’m all for leaving products on the site for reference purposes but wouldn’t it be nice if you know they had no plans to produce more? Or something saying temporarily out of inventory?

3 Likes

Yoyoing is about fun firstly and business secondly.

3 Likes

I mean it’ll definitely be great to have some sort of indicator to say that they’ll produce more, but the thing is such an indicator is difficult to do. A lot of times, it’s about looking at the demand for yo-yos. For a restock, a brand will need an indication that there is sufficient demand to sell out the yoyo to make it worth the cost of making another run. Most yoyo companies can’t take the hit of a run not selling well, just look at ThrowDown with the Lucha Libre. That yoyo literally bankrupted the entire company because they couldn’t sell any and had to refund those that purchased the yoyo because of durability issues. For lots of yoyo companies, doing a run of yo-yos is a pretty big risk to take and they have to be accurate in predicting how well a yoyo would sell in order to continue staying in business. That’s why they work on releasing new yo-yos, because new yo-yos are more likely to sell better since they’re new and no one has tried them before. Plus, there’s usually a lot of hype generated in the build up to when a new yoyo is released, which would sell quite a number of yo-yos by itself already. By doing another run of an old yoyo, there is no hype and no novelty to help push sales, which makes rerunning yo-yos quite risky, unless the company knows for sure that the yoyo is legendary and is extremely sought after, like the Top Deck or the Kuntosh 5000QV. That’s why you only see popular yo-yos or yo-yos that sell well get reruns and most others will be a run and done type thing. If you want a rerun of a yoyo, you could try emailing the company and maybe once they get enough emails, they’ll do a rerun, just like how OneDrop is doing a rerun for the Top Deck because @yoyodoc emailed @da5id and pointed him to this thread.

6 Likes

The store you’re talking about actually had 2 yo-yos drop in the last day. I like that they keep up the stock because once its gone you won’t be able to see them unless the owner post a photo.

2 Likes

It would be nice if you could select “in-stock” when viewing or searching.

4 Likes

I also dislike the game of chasing drops and having to follow people on social media, but I do understand that these sort of lean manufacturing processes are what enable such a wide variety of throws to hit the marketplace from boutique shops that run on relatively tight budgets.

This is way better than the mechanical keyboard community, where you might preorder a product based on a render, wait a year, and then be told that it’s never going to be delivered and your money is not getting refunded.

3 Likes

its funny we aren’t bringing up MFD by name but its crazy how cheap he sells them for

3 Likes

That’s cause Ray is the best dude around!.
He knows he could charge $200 but he wants to be fair to his fan base. Gotta love the guy.

6 Likes

The BST is a great way to avoid the hassel of drops. Sometimes for cheaper sometimes for more. Usually only 5-10$ more (most cases). And theres usually a few that sell afyer the honeymoon period

1 Like

BST is the only way I’ll buy from these vendors. I’ll let someone else do the leg work for me and get it after the honeymoon for a reasonable price.

2 Likes

Still made by one drop

4 Likes

I saw they are claiming their new yoyo is “7069”

A material I am unaware if it even exists. As a US based manufacturer, I am unable to find even 7068, which i find interesting.

3 Likes

On ig it says 7075

2 Likes

@UnluckyOwl53 I see the new post, their website still claims it’s “7069”, what a “funny” joke. I stand corrected.

3 Likes

They’ve used this for previous releases too, like the B7. It’s just another “edgy” thing they like to do.

42069 funny number

6 Likes

To a real manufacturer it makes them sound quite dumb.

7 Likes

Including the Quail and Inhaler? I’ve used a Quail before with some vibe that I would doubt One Drop would allow out of their shop, then just seeing some of the flaws on the Inhalers makes me doubt they are still using One Drop for at least these models.

Edit: Ok I was wrong. They list out on their website under the models of which ones are made by One Drop. Some models don’t specify so probably using other shops as well?

1 Like