Ninja Changing Manufacturing Country of Origin; Ethical?

Can you track down the video and post a link to it here?

1 Like

On it!

1 Like

Sometimes I think I’m the only one that doesn’t care if a yoyo I buy isn’t glass smooth.

3 Likes

@codinghorror if you can’t find the video,
I also recall he posted on the forums about going from a trash rate (not even B grade) of around 50 percent to an A grade rate of around 90 percent.
With results like that, how could anyone be mad at him?

2 Likes

Finding this was much easier than finding the video :wink:

6 Likes

Apparently the entire run machined here in the US had issues!

4 Likes

Machined in and Made in are not interchangeable. I still spend more money and time on the products in the USA. Hopefully that helps.

6 Likes

I think maybe people are fine with it. I just prefer to only sell glass smooth stuff.

8 Likes

Unless they are anodized seperately (which they might be), then I don’t see how this is the case. The machining of a yoyo is effectively the “making” of it. Machined in “x” means made in “x” quite frankly.

2 Likes

Agreed. Machined and anodized would end up under made in classification.

3 Likes

Ok, well has there been any price cut whatsoever since the move to China?

2 Likes

Neat swag / goodies with every yoyo.

If there hasn’t been a price cut you can see (at least some of) the money saved on G2’s end going back into the whole “unboxing / overall shopping experience”.

4 Likes

Honestly why would it matter? If it was worth $120 (or whatever) before, and the “A grade” quality was identical… why would it suddenly be worth less just because due to the change of machining? This means Jake’s life got easier and heck even YOU the G2 customer’s life got easier… Jake can ship more yo-yos, because more of them are A-grades, so a winner is you!

More G2 = More Win

14 Likes

i wanna updoot this comment so hard right now

1 Like

If you can’t see the obvious reason why, then I’m not going to bother explaining it.

1 Like

Goodies are good.

1 Like

I haven’t been around long enough to be able to answer that question, nor do I know where to find past prices., unfortunately. I definitely understand where you’re coming from; if a company switched from a American to an overseas manufacturer and reaped much more profit because of it, I wouldn’t think too highly of that company. I don’t think that’s what he’s doing though. We have no idea how much cheaper the overseas manufacturing is compared to American, nor do we know how much of his revenue goes into producing more yoyos. It would be unfair to assume that the manufacturing switch was malicious or profit-driven imo.

But honestly, if he’s making a little more money than what he used to, I’m all for it. With that money not only can he make more yoyos, but he also has more motivation to stay in the yoyo business and put out G2 yoyos that many of us love. The great part is that if you don’t want to buy a G2 yoyo, you don’t have to!

4 Likes

The reason is because Glen wants dirt cheap G2s that beat, in value, the huge company YYF that can produce dozens of models and 1000s of yoyos even though his QC is far higher and has far less help.

He also wants a Ti-Vayder for under $100 :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

I’m not gonna deny it, Chinese manufacturing is FAR cheaper than American. 7075 and bimetals were extremely niche and mainly an Asian thing years ago was because for 7075 to be made in America, it’d have to be close to $200. A $155 2Sick American made Knight was a huge deal when that was released.

I agree with what you said though. Jake’s a great guy, he’s probably making a little more profit but so what? With all the yoyos he tossed AND being American made AND being decently priced for being American made, he was probably barely scraping by before. This whole thread is about supporting a country but people don’t want to give a little extra money to support PEOPLE. I don’t understand. CLYW was definitely overpriced years ago too but there was still huge support for the company because of who was behind it. This is the same situation.

7 Likes

Not only that, but G2 (and CLYW and a lot of other companies that have switched to Chinese manufacturers) sponsors players and injects a lot of that money back into the community, not just into their pockets or further runs/designs.

There was a whole thread earlier this year discussing how the current market saturation of small, boutique companies hurts the community overall because many of them don’t necessarily sponsor players or contests etc. G2 is a pretty small company but I think it’s awesome that Jake makes the effort to sponsor players and YouTubers. If he can gain larger profit margins to more easily do that by outsourcing to non-American manufacturers, then that’s awesome and I personally don’t mind paying a little extra to support that.

8 Likes