New USA machine shop?

Hey all I havent been active here in some time but that may change. Cooking up some new possibilities.

I recently moved states and am in a new location where I may have the opportunity in the near future to do a short run of in-house (USA, west coast) manufactured yoyos. I now have access to some bar feed lathes and even live tooling, but time would only allow for a short run at least for now. I already have a anodizer in mind whos more on the artistic side of finishing, but… The only problem lies in my old cad designs, they are outdated and rough. I need to play around with modeling some more myself… wheres Wayne with @yoyoworkshop_wayne when you need him! Haha!

Anyways I’m coming here, specifically the CAD Prototyping thread, for a lot of inspiration on design, so thanks everyone. Im thinking it would be a mono 6061 yoyo, probably organic. Big shoutout to all the good knowledge here and feel free to reply with any ideas or insight. I may update this thread with more info or movement.

Mario

23 Likes

Mario! Great to see you back man, I still remember you from DXL a few years back. You had the pelican case of MMC’s which was pretty sick lol. Just wanted to say what’s up, and that I’ll be cheering you on in this endeavor :call_me_hand: Excited to see whatever comes from it!

3 Likes

Yo dude, great hearing from you! It would be really cool one day to get a sample in your hands, you have great insight.

Appreciate the words of encouragement!

1 Like

Ayo, this sounds exciting! I’d be down to work with you on something.

Send me a message, let’s talk design and specifics!

5 Likes

I’m happy to draw a design for you if you’d like! Shoot me a DM

8 Likes

I’m still learning yoyo design but I’d be down to draw something up as well. Shoot me a dm and give me your gut feel on what you want. I’m also well versed in cnc manufacturing so we can rock and roll. Not trying to one up trt or dd, dudes know their stuff just throwing it out there.

Also I was just curious, when you say live tooling and bar feed are you referring to a Swiss turn? Those machines are sick to run. Time wouldn’t be any issue with those, just the carbides (tooling) life. So bloody fast.

1 Like

As someone who runs a yoyo modification business using a lathe and recently access to a 3D printer I’ve been working on a few things. Have a yoyo I’d love to see recreated as it only had one limited run.

3 Likes

The machines are HAAS ST20Y and they are bar fed up to 2.5in.

I’m glad to see people from the community like you and @pyrotechnic replying with support and ideas, luckily I’ve got some time to plan our a possible design, I’ve DM’d Dressel and TRT, this thread is open for any ideas, and anyone can DM me also. Thanks!

We have a tumbler too with all kinds of media so I’m playing around with finishing ideas as well.

4 Likes

YO, I checked out the machines just out of curiosity, definitely not a Swiss turn haha.

1 Like

Yup they are some good workhorses for turning, but they are no swiss machine. The live tooling on them is cool as well.

1 Like

Yeah they look like they can get the job done in 1 swoosh with the b-axis with the live tooling. Spit out half of a Yoyo without needing to rechuck it is pretty damn cool. I never knew about these machines, I’m way behind the times haha.

The last lathe I worked with was a single axis haas bar feed 1 1/2” , mill was a monster 5 axis haas. Awesome machine. If I stayed in school one more semester (which apparently one of the professors thought I was going to) would have had me setting up 2 Swiss machines with 20 foot bars that were donated to my school via a company that made screws/plates/other instruments used for bones. Crazy stuff.

Sorry for the run on, back to throws, trt or dd making a design for you? A Dressel would be killer. I have one of my last throws up on the forum. You already posted on the feed so if you wanted to you could flow up to it, call it a comfortable/organic horizon, 3A throw sort of. I have another one in fusion I’m still messing around with, much more organic while still having a U/V inner.

2 Likes

Excuse the brass, but here is one of the lathes. I also brought some favorites for the crew to see.

One could say it’s a full circle moment for these throws.

Things are cooking up, I will update.

8 Likes

Can’t believe it doesn’t have a chip auger, what the heck…..ok that looks like it’s gonna be fun

nail down the design your gonna work with? I’m excited to see the end product.

1 Like

Turner Return Tops, Dressel Designs and I are actively discussing the design currently. I’ll update here when I can.

I’m definitely still open to peoples ideas, we’ve only just begun the process, and maybe we can get feedback along the way.

10 Likes

Right on, good to hear.

Short question, you said you had old CAD drawings you wanted updated. Have you done that yet by chance? I’m using fusion personal so I’m not sure I’d be able to export a dwg (should) but I’d be happy to update one for you.

I’m a fan of Haas machines because they are made in USA, and not only are they work horse, they have been slowing building a long lasting motorsport legacy, namely in Nascar (which I cant stand anymore) and Formula 1 racing.

I enjoy following on Instagram…@titansofcnc
Titans of CNC prides themselves on utilizing the most advanced machining equipment on the planet…wow!
3D printing and 5-axis machines routinely blow my mind.

Although I very rarely yoyo anymore and have completely degraded my reputation & status here as low grade community member. I’m still very brand loyal to YYF, whereas, I wish YoYoFactory wasn’t just a design & distribution company, but rather a “Real Factory” as there company logo suggests.

Keep tools cool~I look forward to seeing your yoyo design.

4 Likes

So awesome, great hearing from you. Those titans of cnc guys have done a lot for exposing the more cutting edge side of the cnc industry to normal folks. We use 3d printers and 5-axis at my shop as well and I cant imagine working without it now! Plus the industry needs new talent more than ever, and seeing these safe, clean, and advanced shops making chips is much more motivating for newcomers than the shops of old where the work just looks brutal and dangerous.

Also, since the inception of the Summit yoyo documentary, that has been the only real footage ive seen out there of a yoyo properly being turned in a CNC. It inspired me, so I hope to document and share some of this new process as it develops!

2 Likes