How can i start making yoyos and where can i get them manufactured?

Im thinking of making my own line of YoYos and would like to know where to start. Im decent with 3d modeling and good with basic models. Where should i get them manufactured and what price should i expect?

1 Like

See my post here which has some links to information about the process & what’s required in your CAD drawings to get something manufactured: Modeling a yoyo for manufacturing - #3 by MarkD

There are many options for a machine shop, you can expect to have to pay $400-$800 for prototypes made in China, eg. at FPM.

I also enjoy talking about yoyo design on discord here: MK1 YOYO CLUB

6 Likes

I don’t mean to hijack the thread, but I’ve been curious about manufacturing as well. Mark, do you know if the prices you mention for prototyping a per piece amount, or does it include a certain number of revisions or any finish/anodized samples?

The amount I listed is typically for a single batch of 5~ish identical assembled yoyos, anodized in a single solid color. The cost comes from setup time, so any changes to the design require a new order and will likely cost the same amount, again.

Some machine shops only produce raw yoyos for prototypes, some have different prices and minimums - you’d have to contact one to ask them your questions, as they each operate a little differently.

3 Likes

Ok so maybe i dont start a line just yet. 400-800 is an insane price for prototypes that may never see the market. Once i thurn 16 and get a job i may decide to start one but as of right now i have no income source.

$800 is indeed high, but I’ve paid that much before… most models will cost closer to $400 for monometals and $600 for bimetals. depending on the machine shop’s availability at the time.

You can always start learning CAD and other skills that will be useful in the meantime.

$800 isn’t too bad in my world. My clients often spend 5-10x that for prototypes in the electronics industry.

That being said, learning CAD is the best thing you can do to speed up the process of development. Fusion360 is easy to learn, and is what I’ve been using to design mine.

Another consideration is that development takes a long time, so don’t feel the need to rush directly into a prototype. I’ve been working on my fixed axel design for 3 years now, and I’m just now nearing the final prototype stage.

if you are young
I’d echo what the man above says

learn fusion 360 (they have free versions) and maybe save up for a cheap 3d printer

you can design yoyos and its a great skill to have
if you want a career in mechanical engineering
structural engineeirng or even in just 3d design for digital media

if you get to make some cool yoyos later down the line when you have more disposable income that’s an awesome bonus

maybe you could 3d print some fingerpsin cups for an existing yoyo
or some weight rings
go crazy

1 Like

My HS offers a workshop class so i plan to do that. Explain to me how i could make finger spin cups? I throw an Uppercut so i dont exactly see how i could attach it. With my yoyo journey just starting, i dont have access to others. I want to go into development for my degree but manufacturing is a skill ill need for company marketing.

check the entire playlist too, its imo the best source of information on how to design a yoyo

Thanks ill be sure to test it out after i learn freeCAD. I wonder if i could design my first yoyo as a 3d printed design. I could use the size C YYF stock bearing and axel from my uppercut to test it. It my be light but it will give me a feel for basic yoyo design.

@MarkD did a good job with the details on getting through the process. i’ve worked with fpm several times and have only had positive experiences with them. they are a bit more expensive than other manufactures, but i was very happy with their customer service, low bgrade percentages, promptness and prioritization.

1 Like