New throw, new problems

Hi all! So I’ve been out of the game for quite some time now (Since around 2012). And I decided to get back into it this year. I figured I would get a higher end throw. The other mono metal I have for comparison is a dv888 from 2011 with a concave bearing. I’ve never lubed or cleaned this bearing. My brand new “upgrade” with a center trac (which was considerably more expensive than the dv888) has a worse bearing spin time than my nearly decade old bearing. How is that??

Bearings these days usually have issues with a brand new throw within a couple hours (sometimes even less than an hour) of initial play. I believe it has to do with the way they are packaged for storage before the get installed into a yoyo.

You should be able to remove the bearing and clean it and it will fix the issue you’re having. Do a search on the forum here for bearing cleaning and there’s a great thread on how to properly clean and maintain bearings.

Edit: here’s a link to one thread I found on bearing maintenance: How to Clean Your YoYo Bearing

Oh, and welcome back to yoyoing!

2 Likes

While I was unscrewing the two halves for the first time there seemed to be a grinding near the end of the threads. Almost like there was tiny pieces of metal on them. Wondering if this also got into the bearing…

But hey thank you for the welcome! And I’ll check that out and clean it then see the result.

With yoyofactory throws the bearing seats can be a bit tight. Depending on the new bearing the tolerance might be a little smaller which caused your problem.

The hardcoat dv888 was even more picky with bearings I found in terms of fit.

The problem was not with the yyf throw. I will not name the manufacturer of the new throw to maintain their rep with community.

The dv888 is my old one. I just bought a new yoyo within the last two weeks. One that is considered to be a lot “better”

If there was one thing I could change about yoyo in general it’s this. Busted bearings on a brand new throw hurt the soul…

You think I should just buy more bearings? I’m at a loss I would’ve never expected to buy a brand new yo-yo and it be like this.

Lol that’s what I do. I’m bad at popping the seal and half the time when I clean it nothing changes anyway. They reccomend compressed air to blow on the bearing but I’ve never tried it

I would just clean it, probably has too much lube and when it was sitting waiting to be bought probably had some stuff build up .

I would just deadwood sit in acetone for like 10 minutes dry it off with compressed air then let it air dry . I run my dry usually unless I am feeling frisky and want to try and get the lube perfect.