New release from Zero Gravity - The Basilisk D!

From Zero Gravity: One of the main characteristics of the first version of the Basilisk was it’s traditional V-shape with a hint of U-shape that allowed moving some weight towards the rims and, at the same time, reduced friction between the string and cup.

The new Basilisk-D keeps such characteristic and its incredible finger spin capability. The dimensions of the finger spin hub and the shape remain identical. The two additional features we added this time are stainless steel rims and size D bearing.

One of the additional benefits that the stainless steel rims bring is the increase of the face of the cup area which facilitates finger spinning even more.

Releasing Wednesday 11/24 @ 8PM EST.

14 Likes

I hope there isn’t a trend developing where manufacturers just wack a D bearing in everything just for novelty. That’s a lamo reason to use it in my opinion.

2 Likes

I’m really enjoying the D bearing, I’m not maD at it

5 Likes

Oh I’m not maD with D bearings either. I just like them to be well integrated into the design function. A top example is the Dressel Designs 50/50.

3 Likes

Given the success Zero Gravity had with The Don, I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they know how to design for D bearings. The Don is one of the best full-sized D bearing yoyos I’ve thrown.

I’m also really looking forward to the Rhino.

1 Like

Look at those beautiful throws!! I know where Im going to spend my money on tomorrow :fire::fire::heart_eyes:

I mentioned in other posts that I was totally impressed with the Don. It jumped right away to the top of my list. I have no doubt those guys from zero gravity know exactly how to deal with d bearings :wink::wink:

2 Likes

Yeah , my post was probably a bit jerkish.

People can use D bearings wherever they please, nobody is worse off for that.

5 Likes

I see where you are coming from though. D bearings are becoming pretty meta. And if a company just takes the same throw and slaps a D bearing, then did that with all the models as a way to get a quick buck that would be pretty lame.
But you can see this has been redesigned as bimetal and adjusted in ways.
I personally think its important to bring up questions, issues or concerns/ opinions.
IIRC- ZG first throw was the winglet and was designed and prototyped and given out for some reviewers to try. There was some issue with the way it felt on the string and the catch zone. People voiced there opinions and concerns. ZG turns around fixes the issue and drops a banger. Which maybe would have gone unchecked if people only said positive or nice things. Then he continues to drop really good, fun, interesting and different designs. The Don is on the list of many peoples favorite throw of 2021 (a D bearing) including mine). There are many other companies that drop yoyos that are really similar to “competitors” and price because thats what other companies price at.
ZG continues to drop new and different designs with prices that are really fair! And in this case supporting and sporting a new string company legit strings. THEN, has a program to give free yoyos to people all around the world in multiple continents. Not to mention @jeduardo is super chill down to earth and easy to talk to.
I see your point, but I don’t think this is that case… I think he just sees that the D bearing is popular right now and is integrating it Into his business model.
I also don’t want anyone to feel ashamed to give constructive feedback or pressured into only saying positives things. Constructive criticism is a huge part in the art community of all types. And ZG yoyos are art. But IMO, he’s killing it!

6 Likes

Holy smokes @hobby_master what a great summary you did. You left me speechless. I would not be able write this myself. Thanks very much for this and thanks everyone for your support!

6 Likes

We are so excited for the release of the Basilisk-D tonight!!!

5 Likes

I agree with everything in your post except your history of the Winglet is a bit revisionist.

When the company was announced and a picture of the Winglet CAD posted, Garrett noted that due to the 90° angle there would be string catching on the response bump:

This advice was not taken into account for the first production run and the sharply angled response bump was left as-is:

Then, as expected, people experienced string catching on the response bump leading to a clicking sound and feeling. This is just one sample of someone who experienced it. yoyojoe1 also noted it in their review and I had a first run Winglet and experienced it as well; it was fairly annoying tbh and one of the major reasons I ended up listing mine on the BST (along with my preferences shifting more towards organic throws)

It wasn’t until the Winglet SE and second run of the 6061 Winglet that this was addressed, after the full first production run had gone out to consumers. It’s unfortunate because this flaw was noted early on and pointed out before machining had begun, yet the advice about it was ignored when it could have been prevented entirely.

It was eventually addressed though. And I have to say that the wood stand it ships in is really quite nifty. And aside from the string clicking it was a very smooth and stable yo-yo.

5 Likes

Great points @Isaac. The corner was actually the issue. By adding more fillet to it, the ending angle of 11.5o increased to 12o and the issue was gone. This is the art of designing yoyos.

We also stopped making the wood stand due to the higher volumes as it required a lot of work and waiting time. We will keep using as much of environment friendly packaging as possible.

Cheers

7 Likes

Yea thanks for giving a better and more in depth example. But I think what I was trying to say still stands. Being able to give negative feedback , constructive criticism, or questioning is important to creating better in the future.

4 Likes

I got my basilisk D a few days ago as a preorder. I enjoyed the basilisk C and the D version is a significant improvement in terms of my preferences. I especially enjoy this one because it is reminiscent of the YYJ phenom and the sturm panzer models that followed the phenom, the basilisk is more comfortable and a better performer. The price is a bargain compared to a sturm panzer or a good condition phenom. Excellent work @jeduardo!

7 Likes

Snagged a Dactyloidae! Excited!

6 Likes

Me too! This will be my first ZG - the colorway sold me on it.

6 Likes

Snagged the teal and orange one!!! :fire::fire::fire::fire:

5 Likes

Thanks for all your support!!!

4 Likes

ordered mine on Wednesday ppl, im freakin stoked because of how much I love the OG basilisk

4 Likes

Only 9 left!

2 Likes