New from Yoyorecreation! The ALMIGHTY!

At 67g it seems kinda heavy for a hybrid to me. But whatevs.

2 Likes

It doesn’t feel that heavy in play, I actually went to weight it again to check that was right lol.

2 Likes

Not this again… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Umm, huh?

1 Like

The whole “It doesn’t (subjectively) feel as heavy/light as its (objective) measurements indicate” thing, as discussed in another thread.

1 Like

Calm down Mr Spock :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yup all very valid points. I would be overly concerned if were tying rocks on the end of a string and holding them there. The heavier rock would both objectively and subjectively be heavier.

But since we are talking about gyroscope on the end of a string both spinning and being moved through space, then the objective weight works in a very different way. The placement and distribution of that weight makes that gyroscope spin differently and move through space differently.

So the “subjective” feel of how it performs given its weight, its distribution of that weight, and how it moves through space or changes direction makes a noticeable difference.

1 Like

You would think the people that run the store and took the pictures and listed the item on their store would … mention this… in the item… description… maybe…? :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure they did:

3 Likes

Are we sure that’s not the current copy which was recently edited? :thinking:

2 Likes

Oh, I have no idea. Better late than never, eh? :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Indeed. However, the primary impact of weight distribution is to determine mean angular velocity (and the power of the gyroscopic effect), which determines its resistance to precession. This will lead to the sensation that a yoyo is more or less stable (or more/less maneuverable), but that shouldn’t be conflated with the sensation of how much it weighs.

Unfortunately we don’t have a standardized measure/unit of planar stability (or resistance to precession), and so it never goes into the specs. This leaves people only talking about the one tangentially related spec they have on hand, weight, even if it isn’t really the right measurement to focus on.

3 Likes

But using weight to describe the sensation on the string is totally valid. I thing you did a fantastic breaking it down scientifically. However it is valid in subjective descriptions. A flat piece of paper feels lighter in your hand than a balled up piece. A proper hiking pack feels lighter when loaded than a poor pack that is not distributed well. They both weigh the same but feel differently.

I am over simplifying these comparisons for the purpose of saying when someone is describing or reviewing a yoyo, weight is not a poor way of describing how it feels on the string.

A small dense yoyo feels heavier in in play than a larger yoyo of the same weight. Generally speaking. A yoyo that hits the string with more of an impact or thud will feel heavier than one that hits softly. Again subjectively, but by stats alone we may not know how it reacts.

3 Likes

Sure, but using weight to discuss that difference is like using weight to discuss why a penny hits the ground before a ping pong ball when dropped from the same height.

As I said, I chalk this up mostly to a lack of easily available terminology. If manufacturers and reviewers took the time and made the effort to come up with a term for what is really going on (in terms of the sensation that weight distribution presents in play), then I just think we’d all be better off for it.

I don not disagree. Maybe we can use this platform to come up with an appropriate term. I agree it is not the best terminology. I think it is known as a subjective descriptor and it doesn’t impact people when they use it. But, let’s come up with one.

that plastic really is smooth

Yeah I just edited the description when I noticed it was plastic lol.

I think you’re getting too hung up on the technical terms. I said it doesn’t feel that heavy in play for a very specific reason - It doesn’t feel that heavy in play.

6 Likes