"New" Duncan Freehand II AL Personal Opinion

Is it weird that after a few minutes of playtesting with the Duncan Freehand II AL, I don’t like it in the slightest? It doesn’t feel like it has enough gap for effective/accurate tricks, and with having a similar shape to the Duncan Cold Fusion GT and a build like the Duncan Freehand One AL, but being hollow aluminum like the most Aluminum Duncan Yoyos makes it feel like it has poor stamina and even poorer trick capacity. It is a nice addition to my collection, but it plays like it has the worst features from both the mentioned yoyos, I was was really hoping for it to have more outward/centrifugal force, so that way it could maintain a bit more spin time, but it just ends up feeling like a Cold Fusion GT with the weight distribution of a Duncan Freehand. Honestly, needs something to help its weight and stamina and increase the gap by like 2-3MM, and I think this thing could be noteworthy then. Maybe I am being critical, but I just had a lot of expectations for this release.

5 Likes

a freehand ii al with a 7.05mm gap would be breathtaking

2 Likes

How much time have you spent with an original FH2?

2 Likes

Thanks for the write up. The weight scared me away.

At only like 65.77 Grams this thing doesn’t bolster enough weight, I mean, I could technically put a Wide “C” size bearing in it for that extra space, but it still feels too light for my taste.

Note that this seems to have been a throwback to the original freehand 2, and for those who weren’t around during that era, the FH2 has some quirks. It did feel a bit strange with the weight, it didn’t have the most power or balance ever compared to other yoyos, and it never really was anyone first choice when it came to contest or grinding out tricks, but despite all that, it had a special something to it. It was a rounded shape that felt good, it had its flaws of course, but that brought about it’s charm.
I think anyone going into buying this yoyo should try to keep “performance” behind and instead understand what this yoyo represented for its time, and maybe give yourself a different mindset and expectation.
This is a very cool yoyo for a lot of people who were from that time period, and I love it for the nostalgia. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I understand what you are referring too, but for the $65 I paid, I expect it to also “perform”. This is an honest opinion, whenever I get my hand on a new yoyo my thoughts are always “I wonder how this will perform”.

2 Likes

I think ultimately it’s one of the yoyos that falls into the category of being a modern release where the expectation of performance needs to be put aside. Instead of paying 65 dollars for a performance based competition ready throw, you’re paying 65$ for a modern take of a throwback that plays similar (but also slightly better) for the sake of feel and fun.

I get what you’re saying for sure. Just isn’t a yoyo for everyone in the end.

2 Likes

I get what you mean, it is legit just sitting on display on my shelf, nice addition to my collection, but I don’t believe I will ever throw it again.

1 Like

Buy / Sell / Trade my friend :slight_smile:

trade it for somethin you’ll use!

1 Like

Honestly might do that. I bought the Osaka Red version because the Black/White Samurai Edition wasn’t available, even after only 15min of the release. I kinda want something more “functional and modern”

Complete opposite for me most yoyo I buy I have no expectations of performance and I’m sometimes pleasantly surprised but often performance isn’t the goal for me. So many neat quirky yo-yos. Love me an odd gimmick or just a super comfortable throw even if it’s not the best player.

3 Likes

That understandable, just not my taste of a yoyo. Will lean towards something different in the future, I also recently acquired the YoshikudaX in purple/gold. I honestly really love it, performs amazingly. Might lean towards something along its form factor in the future.

1 Like