New addition to one of my other crazy hobbies

So I’ve been into fossils for awhile now and finally tracked down a wonderful Keichousaurus for my collection. This guy makes me really happy. Sharing what I posted to Facebook…

— snip —

New addition to my fossil collection, a really well prepared example of Keichousaurus Hui, a small marine reptile (dinosaur) that lived in China.

Keichousaurus are around 240 million years old and went extinct at the end of the Triassic. This little guy would have been about a foot in length uncurled. If you look closely you can see his little needle like teeth and even what appears to be the remains of his last meal (maybe a small fish?) in his belly.

I know I’m not supposed to feed my collection habits for awhile, but Alice (my wife, some of you may remember her on the forums as ‘spottedbanana’ who used to annodize with me) agreed he is cute.

20190505_215406

20190505_215947

Keichousaurus_NT_small

36 Likes

That’s really cool, my wife’s family has a house near Aurora NC. They mine phosphate over there and they pull lots of fossils and they will let you dig through their discard piles. LOADS of dolphin teeth, shark teeth (including Megalodon) that’s the huge downfall of sea based recovery. Usually it’s only teeth and shells that survive. But that it’s VERY handsome.

6 Likes

What a handsome fossil!

2 Likes

Super cool! Hard to beat the feeling of finding a fossil or cool mineral! It’s like landing a hard trick that first time or something. Here is a small portion of my Fossil and Mineral collection! These larger pieces sit in front of a tiny house I built last year and use as an office. Most of these fossils were found during stream restorations in TX!

9 Likes

This is just a fraction of literally thousands. That’s a One Drop 10 ball for scale

11 Likes

That’s amazing Jason. Have you ever checked out Heritage?

3 Likes

Wow very cool! Not at all what I was expecting either lol.

3 Likes

Wow! That is one awesome fossil!

2 Likes

That’s awesome! I’ve always wanted a full megalodon tooth. HUGE shark geek right here :nerd_face:

3 Likes

These aren’t the illegal fossils from China, I hope?

(Not saying it is, I don’t know, just curious.)

1 Like

That is so cool! I’ve collected MANY invertebrate fossils while on my usual rockhounding expeditions but never a vertebrate. Of course I normally go rockhounding on public land so I can’t collect vertebrate fossils anyways. But it would be nice to be the one to call it in.

2 Likes

http://aurorafossilmuseum.org/post/1/collections.html It’s a cool place.

3 Likes

Dude. Thats epic!

2 Likes

I don’t believe so:

“Order No. 11 of the Standing Committee of the National People’s Congress effective as of November 19, 19822. Article 2 states in Part”…Fossils of paleovertebrates and paleoanthropoids of scientific value shall be protected by the state in the same way as cultural relics."

Keichousaurus Hui is a very common fossil in China, in fact, it’s one of the most common vertebrate fossils regularly found in China. (You can literally find roughly prepped fossils for the price of a titanium throw.) These fossils have been well studied and I believe hold little new scientific value, but since the laws do not define ‘scientific value’, I suppose this could always be debated.

3 Likes

That is so cool!! Looks like a mini Nessy.

3 Likes

Oh sure sure you aren’t showing us your T. Rex fossil from china :wink:

3 Likes

lol I like the idea of having a “mini nessy” pet like water dogs or water cats.
taking them for walks would be a pain though (for them)

2 Likes

No T.Rex, but I do have a Triceratops vertabra! I believe it’s from North Dakota or something like that… I need to find the papers. Note the clean spinal column hole.

4 Likes

I tend to purchase my fossils from www.fossilera.com. But Heritage has some amazing stuff! I’ll keep an eye on it.

Ironically it was Jason Weeks, the illustrator for CLYW and other yoyo companies who turned me on to Trilobites years ago.

4 Likes

Jason if you ever make it to this neck of the woods we have an active fossil site you can visit. gfs.visithandson.org

2 Likes