Need help? Shoot US a question!

You are good at this Supbreh’. I have lots of questions only for you, but all related to the same subject.

Dear Supbreh’,

I have a bunch of throws, and it is hard to keep track of what brand bearing is in them. Sometimes the bearings are marked, as I believe the Dif-e-yo KK is, but other times, they all look the same.

I think that bearings should all have an engraving on them, so that you can easily tell one from the other. I have a lot of yo-yos and order different kinds of bearings. It is hard for me to tell one from the other sometimes. When I buy new bearings, I set them aside in a little zip lock baggie and write with a sharpie what kind it is. But, I’ve had them fall out of the baggie and I can’t remember what they are. Also, the bearings that come stock in my yo-yos, I forget which ones they are sometimes. It would also be good to know when selling yo-yos, what bearing is in them.

Do you think it would be a good idea if all bearings were engraved with a distinctive mark? If so, do you think this would add to production costs and the bearing would cost us more? Is there a resource somewhere about how to identify all kinds of bearings on sight? If there is no resource out there, who do you think would be most astute at creating a reliable one?

I am poor at bearing identification. Your help is appreciated.

Signed,

S.O. Minithrowz

I also wish all bearings came with markings!

I took a page out of Terrapin X’s book and started identifying them by coloured sharpie. But that only works if you also have a spreadsheet of identifying marks… and since I was making a spreadsheet of identifying marks, might as well also add columns to just track which one is in each yoyo… :wink:

1 Like

Hey TA… There are tricks of the trade with bearings or a “code” of some sorts :stuck_out_tongue: once you got it… They are all very easy to identify… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Here is a question> should be able to answer with one sentence>

Why was the Yoyo a FAD (hearing that makes me. >:()

@mgiroux77. Easy for you to say :smiley: You identified the last one for me…the 10 ball. I’m trying to give you a break from offering me free bearing identification services. Besides, I have to take a photo to show you when I need your services ::slight_smile: Thanks for helping me out on that one. ;D

@GregP…I have an engraving tool. I think Dremel makes it. Do you think this will cause any damage to the bearing? There is a lot of vibration from that tool. Also, bearings are very small so I’ll have to find a way to get a good non-slip grip to get it done. I’d have to go through all my throws and mark them though…which will end up taking forever like the photo project :-\ I’d also need a spreadsheet for codes like the one you created. :-\

1 Like

Not all questions are that simple to articulate, without first putting them in context, to let the person answering have some idea why you are interested in the subject. Knowing the context helps steer the answer in a certain direction. In college someday, you might be asked questions that are not one-liners, and they will require that you answer in essay form, and sometimes those answers will be pages in length. Not that we are that deep here on the forum, but it just explains why question/answer can be way more complex than that. Some of us are not just interested in the answer, but we are interested in information about how the answerer arrived there. Perhaps the answerer wants to share their basis of knowledge or expertise that most people don’t have, and that might give the answer more credibility. I know long posts bore some of the younger folks, but I’m old, and I appreciate a well thought out and articulate answer to a question. As long as every line has value, I’m fine with it.

Supbreh’ and the others are doing a great job in here.

I’m around Expert 1 /2 here, so I’m just wondering, how good do I have to be compete in a Ladder competition, or just even any 1A competition?

Why are Green Triangle tricks so popular?

Since there’s a record for longest sleep time, is there a record for consecutive suicides?

sleep time the c3 BTH

That doesn’t answer the question. :wink: I expect there’s a record somewhere. Nick Gumlaw holds the record for consecutive Iron Whips, for example. Not sure specifically about suicides, though.

whats better: gorilus lubricus lube by mfd or vfm lube by onedrop?

Oh wow, I found it!  Some guy named Jesse Christe did 56 consecutive Suicides on a Skywalker.  Here’s the link to a whole bunch of records:

http://www.yo-yos.net/world%20records.htm

… actually the most consecutive Iron Whips is 193 by Brett Ferante (assuming the source above is accurate).  And, the longest sleeper is 21 min on a YYF Buddha King 2.  Crazy.

1 Like

The c3 BTH holds the record with 30:28.30

Hmmm, maybe that website is a little outdated.

Really? I haven’t heard of anyone toppling the C3 record yet. Not that such news gets around like wildfire or anything, but…

Oh no, I mean that records website hasn’t been updated to show the C3 record of 30 minutes. It still shows the Buddha King record of 21 minutes. Maybe they just have different criteria for it being an “official” record. :stuck_out_tongue:

Aha! Gotcha.

i really dont understand the differences between all these yoyos. besides the shape and the sleep length what makes one better?

AND HELP PLZ!!!

i used to have a fast 201 yoyo just to do some simple tricks then i was looking to see what the best yo yo on the market was so i bought a dark magic 2. but i just bought it a few days ago and i put in the speed bearing and it only slept for about 40 seconds and was unresponsive. so i read online that when they ship theyre yoyos they have old lube on them from the factory. so i put on some new THIN lube and when i tried the yo yo again it was MORE responsive . and i couldnt get it to sleep for more than 45 seconds even after 2 hours of use. what should i do? is it broken? (please dont say that i have to just throw it straight, i know. even if its a great throw i get 45 seconds max.) thats not normal rite??! cuz i read online about people getting 3+ minutes of sleep time

Thin lube makes a yoyo MORE responsive. You have 2 choices
1- break in your bearing my playing with it
2- clean the bearing

what about spin time though?