Need help? Shoot US a question!

The sport ladder consist of haveing to perform specific tricks in front of judges. Typicallly more inexperienced players do the sport ladder, youll raely see a pro do it. The tricks become harder and harder.

For example, you must do these tricks (just an example, not a real sports ladder, but a a real one is more or less like this.)
Tower
Rock the baby
Trapeze
Double or nothing,
Matrix, 2 revolutions
Buddhas revenge: 2 revolutions
suicide: 2 succesful catches in a row
White buddha
Spirit bomb
Black hops

The judges score you on if you land the trick, and how cleanly you land the trick. The winner usually wins a gift certificate or a yoyo.

1 Like

Great thread!!! I appreciate what you are doing here.

General Yo does and has been doing this for a while with the Axle. Ernie has them so there is basicly no room for the axle to move (.05mm wiggle room I think)… So no float… Does this have anything to do with his yoyos being so smooth?? I think it is a factor in the mix yes. I have had yoyos (my Wrath comes to mind) that you can screw the axle all the way into either side in either direction (of the axle) and have it be dead smooth. So I guess it can be a bit of both. I like the General Yo way more as it seems more precise but as I have stated above it really does not matter in the end. A well made yoyo is a well made yoyo.

1 Like

answer my question

yes they do.

I’d write to tell you that “freestyle” is, in addition to being distinct from “ladder,” is a remnant from a time when competitions included “compulsaries,” which were a list of tricks competitors had to complete in order to advance, but I know these questions are for dynikus to answer.

I’d also chime in about the floating axle allowing for adjustability of halves to attain concentricity - yoyo halves typically aren’t perfectly symmetrical and need to be lined up in such a way as to produce a smooth playing yoyo, which is why some companies with yoyos that do not have floating axles spend a lot of time matching halves until they find a pair that plays smooth; a floating axle allows any two halves to be lined up in a multitude of configurations, which is how “tuning” works - but I don’t want to butt in. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This all makes sense to me; I guess it’s the original premise that still contains an unanswered question, then: how is there a large enough discrepancy in CNC-machined halves to warrant hand-matching and providing floating axle systems?

Not that I don’t believe it’s true, but rather: what are the factors to consider in having mismatched halves from the same billet and same CNC program?

The short answer is that even with the highest precision lathes the machining process isn’t perfect, there’s a lot of cuts being made, tools wear, the machine itself requires adjustment as it operates and warms up and cools down and such, etc. There really doesn’t have to be that much discrepancy to create a vibe that can be felt.

1 Like

Can you describe the meaning of mid to fullsize, midsize, fullsize and undersize? I’m assuming it has something to do with size, an I’ve heard these terms used a lot, I just don’t know the exact definition.

What’s a regen? I’ve seen youo battles saying “no regens allowed” or “regens allowed”. What does it mean??

Physically moving the yoyo from one machine to another and putting it on a jaw that could be nano-millimeters from being flush but i have no idea. That’s my guess. I like this thread though… getting some nice answers to questions I’m sure I’d have down the road

The performer was free to choose whatever they would like to do during that period of time. Hence it is freestyle.

Compare it to this concept I have, which will never take place:

With 1A, preliminaries are a mandatory part of many contests. There are so many prelims at CalStates and BAC that we have to hold them in a side area while the 2A,3A,4A and 5A portions go on the main stage. Each 1A preliminary is also a freestyle, but it’s more concentrated on tech.

Imagine if we changed the preliminary format to a compulsory format? Standard music, list of tricks that must be performed in a certain order, BUT, how the player ties the elements together is up to the player. That would NOT be a freestyle. Bu,t this concept won’t work as it limits what can be shown and too many people would pass to the next round. This concept is used more for things like ice dancing and gymnastics, but it part of of a larger set of performances.

Full size is a yoyo with ~54-57 mm in diameter
Midsize is ~54 mm
Under size is ~ 54mm, usually around 50 mm

A regen is a type of bind where the yoyo is re-thrown before the yoyo returns to the hand. I would recommend looking up a video that features regens.

will kendamas take over the yoyo culture?

do magic yoyos take the same size pads as yoyorecreation?

what if caribou lodge makes a delrin yoyo?will you buy it?

did anyone will a contest with a mini yoyo (besides the token)?

will andre compete again?

thank you so much! :slight_smile:

one person do use a mini yoyo In a contest Inb4 c3 token http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-oJNrl67Hs

sorry for not keeping my pledge to make helpful posts. Homeowrks been pretty heavy, and ive been really busy.

Ill try my best though! Thanks to all others who posted here :smiley:

I really like this thread…

In other Hobby Communities I’ve seen threads dedicated to asking simple questions like this. Usually they’re stickied… kind of like the Need Help sub-forum deal but one thread dedicated to simple questions.

So why would a regen not be allowed in a contest?

i think it’s kinda considered cheating?

I can actually fully answer the axle thing… there are a lot of ‘sorta answers’ in the thread so far so I’ll fill in the gaps.

Tapping is not a process that is as precise as you’d think. Because the hole is drilled and then a tap is run down it, a tiny little variation in the hole, a variation in the condition of the end of the tap, the actual tap used and the shape of the tip, how the tap happens to catch in the hole, etc… can all vary the end condition of the hole. That means the thread may not end cleanly, or that it may be a tiny fraction longer/shorter than desired.

So, if you sized axles to fill the holes -exactly- then you’d very often end up with axles that were off… either the yoyo would close properly, or you may end up with an axle that snags in the bottom of a ‘bad’ hole and is torqued off center slightly. There is a tiny bit of ‘play’ built into threads… you’ll notice most axles will jiggle just the very tiniest bit in the thread. This is done to prevent the axle from seizing against the metal, or cross threading from sloppy assembly. The more you thread the axle in, the more it centers itself and that goes away, but if you slam it into the base of the hole, and that hole isn’t perfectly finished, it can possibly end up not being all that straight.

Is it possible to get every single hole absolutely perfect? yes… but it’s also exceptionally expensive.

It’s -far- easier to just make the hole longer than necessary and solve the problem entirely.

Are there any downsides? not really.

The only potential downside is that it allows space for people to over-tighten their yoyos… that’s about it.

Any notion that the axle being slightly more on one side than the other causes imbalances is purely nonsense. Let me say that again, it’s a total load of crap. You’re talking about moving a small fraction of a gram from one side to another, directly along the axis of rotation, in the absolute most stable region of the yoyo… it’s not going to do a damn thing to induce vibration.

That particular misconception came from the whole ‘tuning’ movement, which was necessary when some companies started putting out very expensive yoyos with very questionable quality. Moving the axle around in the threads did impact how much vibration the yoyos had, and some people jumped to the conclusion that this was because of the axle shifting back and forth. In reality, as somebody has mentioned in this thread, it’s because it changed the alignment of the halves in relation to one another… and since the halves were pretty poorly made, you could try and balance them out and align them better.

So quite simply, the reason there are longer threads than the axle length, is because why bother doing it any other way?

Kyle

2 Likes