Need Help Deciding? Suggestions for those looking into buying a yoyo.

Hey guys, don’t know which yoyo to get? No problem, the friendly members of Yoyoexpert are here!
However, you may not end up with the yoyo you are happy with sometimes.

Let’s say…I’m looking to purchase a “good” yoyo around $40. The people on this forum suggests me to buy either a DMII or a DV888. Both are around the same budget, both are great looking, and both have an amazing reputation for their playability and quality. People have different preferences though. I personally like the DV 888 better since it fits perfectly in my small hands due to its undersized shape. I often incorporate chopstick tricks in my combos, and the DV888 plays an advantage here. Other people prefer the DMII over the DV 888 because the DMII is heavier and feels more stable. Because of its heavier weight, combos last longer. As you can see, we all have different tastes, and you may end up with a yoyo you are not wholly satisfied with. So, here are some suggestions that could help US pick YOUR yoyo!

1. Give us your price range ($____) !
    Let’s say you want a “good”, metal yoyo that is stable. There are many yo-yos that are “good”, made out of metal, and are stable. I can recommend something like…a Turning Point Positron ($190) which can be way out of your budget.

2. Give us your size preferences (pocket-size/undersize/fullsize/oversize/etc.)!
    Like I said before in the Dark Magic II vs DV888 comparison, size is very important when it comes to preferences! There are hundreds and thousands of great throws out there, and by give us your size preferences, the people at Yoyoexpert can help you find your “perfect” throw!

3. Give us your Shape Preferences (H shape/classic shape/V shape/etc.)
    Shape is a very, very important factor in play and in comfort. Certain people don’t like how modern H-shape/V-shaped throws are sprouting up everywhere now. As for me, I can’t play with classic-shaped throws anymore since I’ve become spoiled by the large gaps of modern throws :DD

4. Give us your Play-style (1A/2A/3A/4A/5A/etc.)
    This might be a smaller case, but if someone comes to me saying that they want to start in 1A, I would recommend a One, Kickside, or a Lyn Fury. However, if that person is specific and wants to begin 5A, I would recommend a Freehand or a Pinnacle. Some yo-yos are designed specifically for 5A (YYJ Destiny), some yo-yos can play everything decently (Freehand 2), some yo-yos are only for 2A (Loop 900s).

5. What kind of finishes do you like best? (Beadblast, sodablast, clear-coat, grooves, no-finish, etc.)
    Do you like to grind? Or maybe you just like to admire and touch your yoyo. Anyway, I sometimes look for finishes in yo-yos. Some throws have special finishes that allow the yoyo to feel smoother for grinds or aesthetic purposes. Some people may recommend a yoyo that has an amazing blasted finish when you’re only actually looking for something that is fast.

6. Tell us whether or not you like accessories!
    These include side effects, hubstacks, Z-stacks, matador spikes, and more. Things that can enhance your yo-yoing experience by offering different play styles. Most of the times, these accessories add center weight, which can affect your yoyo’s performance.

7. Appearance! Tell us your favorite color!
    Color, laser engravings, and annodizations. Let’s say there’s this throw that everybody loves and raves about…except they only make that yoyo in the only color you despise (for me, it’s orange…I refuse to play with anything that’s orange). 3yo3’s clear acrylic throws are breathtaking. SPYY’s Ronin made my jaw drop. One of the main reasons I bought a Trident is because of its laser engravings.

8. Material (YYJ Hybrids, YYJ Bi-metals, Wood, Metal (aluminum), Plastic, Delrin, Titanium, etc.)
    Some plastics can perform better than some metals, but there’s always this kind of…charm to metal yo-yos.

If you don’t know what your preferences are, that’s alright. Every yoyo sold on Yoyoexpert are not “bad” yo-yos. Don’t have preferences? Go for the one that everybody praises about. Stuck among a few choices? Go for the one that looks the best to you. Didn’t like that throw? Sell it at BST, and now you know what you are looking for in your next purchase!

And that concludes my post. This is almost everything people would need to recommend a yoyo. You can also conduct a poll to narrow it down to a few yo-yos that you think that would fit your criteria.

*A big thanks to Mr. Jokers10. I couldn’t find his thread about deciding which yoyo to buy on this forum, so I modeled this post after his. I thought about asking him if I can use it, but he hasn’t logged on for a year now. I guess that’s alright since I didn’t completely copy him as I made it more relevant to 2012.

It looks like a nice thread, but there’s something I want to say here. A lot of people looking to buy a yoyo who post for help, probably don’t have any or don’t care. Most of them are new, and just want something that is generally considered good. Sometimes, its best they try something different from what there used to. Preferences can be useful, but they are not always necessary.

1 Like

I’m new, I’ve asked for help, and I’ve put restrictors to help guide people to stuff I might like. I can’t say I’ve been displeased.  The problem isn’t the information, it’s the volume of information and figuring out how to process it. It can be overwhelming.

Now, I’m no expert, but I’ve kind of given up on asking people for help like that for now. I cruise the store, go “wow, that looks neat” and then if I like it enough, I just go buy it. So far I’ve been super pleased. I also buy stuff that lots of people have so I can enjoy the “shared experience” and know the community as a whole better.

However, the best advice:

1: Figure out how much you want to spend

2: Go here: http://shop.yoyoexpert.com/storefront.php

3: Buy something at the money value you determined at #1

4: Wait for it to arrive.

5: Open the Box.

6: Enjoy the “new yoyo smell”

7: Throw it!

8: Enjoy it

Unboxing videos are optional.