My New Favorite Paper Airplane

For anyone interested in paper airplanes, this thing is AWESOME!

I like to make all kinds of paper airplanes with my kiddos. We will spend hours some days exploring different sites like this. First, my oldest will pick a design he wants me to fold, I fold it, and give him the maiden throw. Then I pick a plane I like, fold it, and give it its maiden throw. Then we repeat.

Kind of on the difficult side to make, but this one has a very impressive hang time! And it’s durable too.

https://paperairplaneshq.com/redwood.html

I have found that throwing it hard, straight up in the air gives it the best and most acrobatic flight. Also, gently curl up the corners on the back.

22 Likes

Expert mode eh?

3 Likes

If I don’t get any work done today it’s on you Chad.

12 Likes

You “work” at a yo-yo company, does that even count?!? :wink:

12 Likes

Difficulty: Difficult

Sounds difficult.

5 Likes

Lol difficult might be putting it lightly. I didn’t know paper airplanes could be so complex.

I watched the animations that show you the folding process. Wow. Looks incredibly complicated and exact

Props to you on being able to pull that thing off for the kiddos, Chad. Sounds like a good time

1 Like

It’s not that difficult. If you can unresponsive yoyo, you can paper airplane (imo)

6 Likes

It counts if you guys want yo-yos!

13 Likes

Somehow I love this thread.

Gonna make this one later with the kids.

1 Like

Gotta make one!

1 Like

When I had an office job figured out how to make a bird that flaps it’s wings. I’d take something like a basic glider

And work the wings till they were nice and loose. Cut slits in the back of the wings about 3/4" deep. Kinda makes it look like feathers. I’d work those loose too.

Now here’s the trick. Take 1 or 2 pennies and stuff them in the nose. If I made the lip big enough I’d just stapled them in, but tape works too. And then you have to throw it a pretty hard; distance is key, but it will flap it’s wings like a bird when you throw it.

That job sssssuuuuucccccckkkkkkkkeeedddddd…

4 Likes

I made one

8 Likes

Oh nice! haha, I’m digging the artwork too :wink:

@YoYoExpertGarrett @photogeek @beherenow, any luck with this?

1 Like

Realized half way through that this is wayyy to many folds for card stock lol. Pretty happy with it over all though.

3 Likes

Nailed it! haha, it definitely works better with regular printer paper

1 Like

5 Likes

Nice

2 Likes

I just made it and I’m looking forward to trying it with my boys! What are some of your other favorite designs?

I made a 1000 piece modular origami swan for my girlfriend (Christmas present), so I’m not afraid!

4 Likes

This one also works pretty great. Same kind of throw, almost straight up in the air. It has a pretty impressive hang time too. It is the world record airplane after all… haha

Plane_

Oh yeah, did you ever get to fly the Redwood?

4 Likes