My IBMYP Personal Project

If anyone is interested in visiting my Process Journal, it can be found here:
http://lacphanibproject.blogspot.com/ (I think off-site links are allowed, as long as there is no selling/buying/forums)

I’m about ready to make my choices, maybe over the weekend.
Any other comments/suggestions will be appreciated before I get the yoyos  :smiley: (EDIT: Any string recommendations? Blueprint/Kitty?)
Thanks again guys.

There’s a responsive version of the surge at yoyoexpert as well if you want something a little heavier and different

Thanks for the suggestion. On my other thread about strings, I found that Kitty String only lasts a short time before you have to replace it. Are there any good strings out there that can last longer? I’ve never replaced string before (my yoyo has had the same YYF string for about 2 years)

Change of plan, guys. I talked it over with my parents, and I can’t spend over $30 for the unresponsive yoyo. Any good yoyos that are under $30 and will be good for the Trick Ladder? (Hopefully metal)

EDIT: For metals under $30, I can’t seem to find any except the YOYOFFICER Kilter, and the N12 on Amazon. Any tips?

not metal - but I can’t imagine you going “wrong” for an unresponsive yoyo if you get a protostar/northstar. ($35)

for metal, the only sub $30 on YYE are the following:
the Yomega Maverick/Dash, (garbage),
Duncan Metal Drifter (also garbage),
YYF PopStar (tiny, and not suited for Trick Ladder),
C3 Token (awesome, but also tiny and not suited for Trick Ladder)
and the YoYoOfficer Kilter - never played before so I can’t say, but YYO seems like a decent brand.

I’d honestly say that you’d be better off looking for a high-performance plastic… but it’s up to you.

What plastics would you suggest? The YYJ Classic I already have in mind for the responsive side of the Ladder

The YYO Kilter is the best yoyo under $30 on YYE

UPDATE: I bought the Magic Yoyo N12 along with the Yoyojam Classic. The N12 came with a couple strings and a glove. Thanks for all the help, guys. I will keep you updated on my project.

UPDATE: Finished Tricks 1 through 8, Sleeper through Split the Atom. So far so good. Tricks Sleeper through Braintwister were really easy. Trapeze was pretty hard to get it right on the string, as well as throwing the yoyo right. I got it in the end though, and I can now get it 3 out of 5 times. Split the Atom was kinda frustrating because the video was confusing and I was always unsure where to place my hands. Chugging on quickly enough, though. :slight_smile:

I did almost this exact same thing for my personal project; learning the trick ladder. I ended up using a few different unresponsive yoyos that are definitely out of your price range, but for the tricks requiring a responsive yoyo I used a YYF Loop 900. Here are my ladder videos if you are interested: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLh9auatBCq2CkzjQRb4zMNt6gMQAqlR2F
And feel free to message me by pm if you have any questions.

Good Luck!

1 Like

Hey! That’s really cool! What Unrespsonsive did you use?

I’ve been throwing for a couple years, so a few; a different yoyo for each video. I used a CLYW Canvas, YYJ Hitman Pro, and a One Drop Cascade as well as the Loop 900.

Wow, you’re right. I can’t afford many of those :stuck_out_tongue:

Update: I’m kinda stuck on Cold Fusion. I know how to do it, but I want to master all the tricks (getting at least 4 out of 5 in a row right). I keep either missing the Double or Nothing because I throw it at an angle, or when I do the ending I miss the Trapeze. >:( Back to practicing, then!

-I can do Cold Fusion better and more tidy now.

Hey again guys, I need help on something. I am stuck on Pop N Fresh, because my yoyo (Magic Yoyo N12) cannot do the pops because whenever I pop it up it snaps back to my hand. How is it responsive all of a sudden? I tried 3 different strings (the given string, YYF Whip String, and YYJ Classic string, EDIT: also, Zeekio string), and they all seem to make it responsive. I experimented by throwing a sleeper, and when I tried to pull it up like a responsive, it came up 3 times out of 5.
Or am I doing something wrong when I try to make it pop?
Thanks. (If this is not the right place, I’ll post a thread in the help subforum)

First of all when you do a trick, make sure that there is no little knot by the bearing (this can happen without you knowing sometimes, creating responsiveness). Next, make sure that no unneccessary strings are rubbing the response the wrong direction causing the yoyo to bind during play. If none of these things are the problem, the bearing could be to blame. Sometimes bearings will become responsive and need to be cleaned and/or lubed. Here is a great link on cleaning bearings: http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,871.0.html

Hope this helps.

1 Like

There are no knots. Stringwise, I am only doing what the tutorial says for Pop N’ Fresh. It is only responsive when:
-I try to pop the yoyo up during Pop N’ Fresh
-I flick the yoyo up hard during a Sleeper to see if it comes back up

I am going to try to clean the bearing. What are Mineral Spirits? Also, I’m pretty sure my bearing is de-shielded because I can see the 10 small balls in it. I don’t have any lube or anything to clean it with. I’ve read that thread you mentioned, and it says compressed air can work. Does blowing work?

Thanks for the help

Magic yoyo bearings are either really good, or garbage. If its concave and you can actually see the balls, its probably good.

3 ways if cleaning: paper, solvent, air

Paper: you fold paper into little points, put it between the balls, and slide it. Good at removing hard, gritty dirt. My favorite. It’s very effective.

Solvent: Putting a bearing in acetone or mineral spirits and shaking it around. Acetone is nail polish remover or paint thinner. Mineral spirits are similar. You put it in a glass jar with the bearing and shake. Good at removing grease and oil quickly, and loosening dirt. Afterwards, I normally paper clean. It removes the leftover solvent and any remaining dirt.

Air: get an air compressor or canned air and blow it in the bearing. Try to hold the bearing by the inner race. Good at dust and hair. A lot of people use this to finish off solvent cleaning. Blowing won’t work, and will probably get spit in you bearings.

Lube makes your bearings quieter and smoother, and makes them last longer, but it decreases spin times. You certainly don’t need it. I rarely use it. When I do, I normally apply it by dipping a piece of paper in the lube, then sliding it around, like paper cleaning. Much more consistent and faster break in times compared to a needle.

It’s been some time. I didn’t want to make a new topic, and I wanted to keep you guys updated:

Finished from Pop N’ Fresh to Kamikaze. Some of them were really fun to learn, but most of the time they were so frustrating :smiley:
I am behind on writing a paper about it, so I will probably have to stay up way late today to finish he rough draft that is due tomorrow.
I’m almost done with the whole thing. I’m pretty glad I had the chance to do this, I would be probably lazy if it wasn’t for the IB project.

Nice! Now learn the rest of the tricks on this site and start making some combos :smiley:

1 Like

If Spirit Bomb is killing me right now, I don’t know how I’m going to survive the rest of these tricks unless that was the hardest one.
Combo-wise, IDK but I feel like they’re all taken (new tricks and combos), unless I have come creative revelation (which will not be soon, I’m running out of juice here making my report!)

Thanks for the support :slight_smile: