my first yoyo build

That is a very pretty look with the rings. My only concern would keeping everything tight. As I mentioned before if you recessed the axel so it get torque from the halves as it turned together. You have gotten such a great amount of learning out of this your first endeavor. Keep it up.

Why would anyone hate on you? They are idiots, and if any of you are man enough, say it here. For your first yoyo, this was a pretty darn impressive job. Also, unlike a lot of others, you made this by yourself. Now that my rant is over, Iā€™m curious, what are you planning on doing with the bearing seat? Itā€™s different from what Iā€™ve ever seen. One last thing, the axle system wouldnā€™t be considered the best for a yoyo, try threading the axle right into the yoyo, it looks like it can still take a M5 sized axle. Will be unlikely to strip considering itā€™s 7075 grade aluminum.

I say go with this system and innovate on it. :wink: I think itā€™s going to initially prove tough to keep the halves snug after a bunch of throws and spinning, but only testing it will show! A ā€œthroughā€ system is in principle a perfectly fine idea; look at One Drop SEā€™s. :slight_smile:

Thread longevity could also be addressed with steel helicoil inserts like Spin Dynamics uses.

ive now had a few throws with it and it seems ok to me lol. not brilliant but for my first shot itll do.

number 2 can now be thought of, ive got a million and 1 ways to build on now lol.

The axle will be changed for sure!

I Have 2 throws now and another 6-7 in the post so i can get a true feel for differant weight distributions ect.

Ive had a few people pm about my bearing seat so ive done a quick sketch. again its differant but its one aspect of the throw that im happy with :slight_smile:

I love this seat.

The only problem I see with that seat is that there is a 0.5mm gap between the wall just outside of the bearing and the outer race of the bearing. It probably wonā€™t be a huge issue with a bearing that either has very square edges (SPEC bearings for example) or is grooved like a konkave or similar bearing.

The standard modern bearing seat extends the lip that is just outside the bearing to hang over the the outer corners of the bearing ever so slightly. This prevents the string from slipping beside the axle.

Overall, your work is looking really nice. The brass really gives a lovely accent to the aluminum. I wish my lathe work would turn out that nicely the first time around.

Looks amazing, the rings add some color (some), and the axle looks like a SE sorta.

This has been a exciting thread to read and I canā€™t see why anyone would pm somebody anything negative on the subject. h8rā€™s gonna h8 I guess.

A friend of mine just started renting a place way out in the country, and by luck one of the out buildings has a small lathe. Something like this has been on my mind for a few weeks since I saw it. Still, Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s a good enough lathe, got enough / proper tooling to work aluminum or if I even have enough understanding to complete a project like this.

Unfortunately iā€™m moving 1200 miles away in a few months so Iā€™m already busy scrambling to button up things around my house. So I suppose on that note Iā€™m going to live vicariously through your lathe, you MUST continue to update the thread. Itā€™s imparative to my mental stability.

I miss this guys posts!

So do I, supposedly he finished I want to know how it is