My first 3D Printed YOYO "M-Theory", Yet needs help

Hey EveryOne

My school recently got a 3D Printer. SO I decided to play around with it a little. And Of course, I designed a YoYo with solidwork to test it out.

So basically the 3D Printer will Print an object with ABS plastic. It is not perfect, and mostly only good for Prototyping stuff, Nothing “REALLY” serious.

Here is the result:

Although this is section is NOT the final. But as you can see, I put a lot of mass out the outer edge. And created this Modifish Butterfly Shape YoYo. It feel pretty good on hand, and Looks OK. I used the Drop One side effect Axle… for this Prototype (because I am too lazy to find the parts)

The Only problem is that… It doesn’t really work… for some reasons… haha

It wobble so much that move like a sphere, or at least that’s how it looks like when it spin. Of course stop soon after… So I put a metal ring spacer between the YoYo and the bearing (size C). It works out much better, at least… it spins… haha… but the funny thing is it wobble every OTHER second… so for one second, it spin fine, and the next second… it wobbles… then it spin fine…

It could be the two half are unbalanced or the axle is off or something… I have no idea what really goes wrong. But for Now I added another Metal Ring Spacer on both side, and install the Flowable Silicone for the respond system. So at least, it will have a better throw, but I still have no idea would it wobbles or not in the end. still waiting for the Silicone to dry.

Hope things will turn out alright… Hope it spin correctly

All Material is copyright to me (Foolz). So You are welcome to share any of this materials for non-commercial purpose. And please credit me (Foolz).

Thanks for advance for all your help and input.

awesome i want one

What I like about this is you show the CAD-type drawing AND the finished piece.

I can’t relate well to the drawing alone, I need the “object”.

So for this, great job. However it’s made out of ABS plastic, What would it weigh if it were made of aluminmum?

It would be roughly another 2/5 time heavier. it would some what over 70gram. It is around 50ish gram right now. didn’t weight it when all the bearing and stuff got put together. Although I would love a metal version of it. haha.

But keep it in Mind, This design is mean to be a Plastic YoYo. That why it is what it is. And now I confirm it is the unbalance axle placement cause the wobble. I can get the yoyo to a much more stable stage simply by twisting it around a little bit, but it still wobble a little bit, well enough to effect hardcore yoyo play. So… I think if I can get unbalance issue fix, it would be a pretty smooth yoyo.

Suggest on how I can possibly fix it are always welcome as well as all the other comments.

So, you’re designing it to be all plastic. It’s got a metal look to it, or at least something I would expect in a metal. That would also explain the HUGE mass of plastic at the edges.

Then I have to ask how accurate is the weight going to be if done in say, celcon, delrin or polycarbonate? 50 grams is going to be way too light. I think you might want to find a way to bury a weight ring inside your rim to pop that weight above 62 grams or more. Then again, I like heavier, but it seems to me anything under 60 is just way too light, at least in those type of dimensions.

As far a fixing the axle placement, I’m clueless. I’m guessing that the printer is more for proof of concept and initial testing. Aren’t we just basically shooting a resin onto a powder, laying down another layer of powder and repeating until done? I think the whole concept, as cool as it is, is intended more for one-offs and prototyping, not production accuracy that would involve very precise molds. I think you answered your own question there. Then again, maybe you weren’t dead center when cutting your hole for the axle? Or maybe it’s just not balanced in the first place?

I don’t think using the OD Side Effects axle is a bad idea at all though, at least not at this stage of the game. You’ve got a ready-made system that’s easy to attach and play. The only downside is getting them in quantity.

Yeah… the 3D printer is not perfect. at least not for this level of accuracy. Nothing need to modify after print, it comes out in one piece. The CAD model is good, but not when it got produce by the 3D printer. I really wish I can find a place where I can make a metal Version. of course, this is not meant to be Metal, but I want to try it out anyway. haha. I totally again with you that the YoYo need to be heavier, but the 3D printer is very limited. And I truly don’t have access to metal shop for such operation. But I guess. if the YoYo is done in metal, I wouldn’t use OD side effect. For two reasons, it is really own by OD, not me. and it would be much easier just use regular axle.

For now, I need to figure out a better way to make this YoYo. but I am 100% sure How, haha.

Another good idea is to do something like that with the northstar and protostar… weight rings! It could be easily added to it just find out how much heavier you need it and then go to some department store or something and pick up a few weight rings and the and the place for the weight rings, print the yoyo out and pop the weight rings in also you could try sanding the yoyo id the sides weights aren’t even… hope these suggestions helped :slight_smile:

how does the ABS grind?

The Weight Ring is such good idea, actually making this yoyo in reality (not 3D printed) with Plastic would almost require to making the YoYo half into two part because of itself shape. Adding a Weight Ring give a great reason to do so, instead of a “much done” kind of things.

As far as Grinding goes… I can’t really tell you much because it is the YoYo is unstable enough to even grind… It can’t even do “walk the dog” because it wobble so much. It would be just jumping on the Floor at the same spot, which looks kind of funny. However, I did manager to do a thumb Grind once. It feels amazing… maybe is because the printed texture. of the ABS plastic and the Grind “hold” is so close to the center of the YoYo, instead of toward to the edge like most YoYo are. But this is so subjective, so all I can do is tell you how I feel about it. ABS Plastic should Grind Pretty well, but there are simple too much variable, and I am not expect on ABS anyway.

I really want to make this YoYo a reality.

wish I had a 3d printer when I was in school…looks really good though

I was tempted to go back and see if I could use the cnc machine and make a yoyo but i’m not to sure…

Dude! I totally need one of those!

what things can the 3-D print only plastic ??? anyway nice job! :wink:

Try finding a new axle.
stuff a weight rim in there.
I could suggest sanding it a bit to make it more smooth in texture seeing as it is.
You gotta make it Heavier , Smooth.
Have you put silicone circle’s in it?
Is it a C-Bearing yoyo aswell?

Yeah, I just find a new axle system, doesn’t have to do make one yet… and yes, I use flowable silicone for the respond system and C size for bear. I it is pretty “Standard” in that sense.

i want a 3d printer…

ME WANT!!!
MUST… GET… A… 3-D… PRINTER…

beautiful idea dude i work with 3danimation software sometimes just for fun so imma gonna get cad now thanx to you ill design my own yoyo and i have access to a 3d printer too

Things you need to look for is that. Don’t design them as Metal YoYo, because they act very differently. the Axle system I choose doesn’t work. so I suggest you take a look on some plastic yoyo’s Axle system. YoYo as the Counter Attack from yoyo fa, is a good one to look at. and because of the way how 3D printer print, the yoyo would be lighter then what you might think.

Wish you the best, sure your result!! haha