Mrcnja's Mods

This yo-yo has been one of my most stressful mods that I have ever done. With that said, it did turn out very nicely.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5525/9371123730_e0a3966eb5_z.jpg

My first real roadblock was that I could not get this yo-yo to take dye. I spent a full day trying everything I could, but still could not get any results. As it turns out, in 2011 Rit created a new dye formula and started phasing it in on some colors. I suspect that by now they have moved their entire product line over to the new formula. The new stuff is supposedly way better for dyeing natural fabrics like cotton, but it is horrible for plastics, especially delrin. With some late night research I discovered this fact and also read that iDye Poly works great. Armed with this knowledge, I bought the right dye and had success the next day.

The next problem was that I had no idea how I was going to hold the delrin and make these caps and I only had enough delrin for one attempt, so I had to get it right. A little in the moment ingenuity saved the day and I was able to make these custom delrin lateral caps.

Maybe

High walling is a pretty simple facing operation on the lathe. You just shave off however much of the face of the yo-yo you want, but it is best to leave the lip between the response and bearing seat alone so you don’t have to adjust the bearing seat.