RIT Dye for plastics...

I was wondering if anyone has used RIT to dye any parts of a yoyo. Another question about the dye is: Powder mix or liquid dye?

I want to dye my red theory caps black to have an all black theory, but I haven not used RIT before and do not know what works the best. Regarding the theory specifically, do the caps have an adhesive underneath? I would not want the hot powder mixture dye to loosen that staying power.

I know RIT is powerful and will stain anything, I do not need a lecture on safety processes

Thanks!

Unfortunately, RIT changed their formula, and it can no longer be used for dying plastics. I’ve tried with many different plastics and it just doesn’t work. At least it was cheap.

Normally, using Rit dye requires mixing it with acetone to work properly. The acetone softens the plastic and let’s it absorb the dye. Note that this does not work with delerin/celcon yoyos, only polycarbonate plastics. Making a red yoyo black is not real hard. You can make a yoyo a darker color but not lighter. Note that timing is critical, acetone melts the surface to let the dye take. Too long and your yoyo will melt.

How to dye a yoyo.

Some people recommend heating the acetone/water dye solution. Not recommended, as acetone is very flammable.

What are the theory caps made from? I guess I will not be trying RIT…

Also, it would be helpful to know how the caps are held in. I contacted YYJ, but I haven’t gotten a reply.

Ref: YoYoJam – YoYoExpert

They look like a pretty similar setup as the Classic. Thus, I present another post from my mods thread.

This would work if RIT still used the old Formula.

Yeah, I gave RIT a shot and it didn’t work. I was just being hopeful, but it literally took none of the dye. I believe that I am out of luck if I want to dye the celcon caps. I can’t think of any other way to color them the way I want to so I will have to deal with black on red. Oh well.

Do you even read?

Yes, I do. I appreciate the help. I wanted to try anyhow, so I did. It was old dye lying around the house that I used, so I figured it might be the old stuff. I guess it wasn’t. I don’t have the idye poly.

The problem is the material that your trying to dye… not the new dye forumla Rit is selling.

Quoted from the Rit Dye website "It will also not dye certain plastics, such as polyethylene, which are found in golf discs and components in RC Cars, and polycarbonates, which are hard plastics such as those found in eye glass frames. "

The plastic brand “Celcon” is Acetal… more specifically Acetal Copolymer. There are two types Acetal; Homopolymer/POM-H and Acetal Copolymer/POM-C. POM-C is more resistant to water than POM-H. It’s more resistant because it is less porous than POM-H.

What does all that mean.

Assuming (because i didn’t look it up myself) the caps are made of Celcon which is POM-C. It’s not a very porous material. Therefore it is extremely difficult for pigmented water to penetrate and dye the material. I’m not suprised it didn’t take any at all…

I have dyed several different things that are Delrin/POM-H/Acetal Homopolymer. Heat, Time, and concentrated pigment is the key and higher quantities than you’d expect you would need of each. Even then the pigment doesn’t go very deep into POM-H.

Find someone with black caps and trade them lol

I have experience dyeing delrin and celcon as well as experience with the new Rit formula and iDye Poly. I can safely say from a position of experiencing it firsthand, the new Rit formula is worthless for dyeing both acetal variants. Both delrin and celcon do a very poor job of taking the new Rit formula from a heated dye bath. You will simply get little to no color change.

Both delrin and celcon dye very quickly and easily in a heated dye bath when I used iDye Poly. If you are using the post 2011 Rit formula, you are wasting your time.

You don’t believe me? Let’s take a look at what others are saying about the new Rit formula:

1. New Rit Formula = No Dying Discs

[quote=“”]
2. RIT dye not working…

[quote=“”]
3. Rit dye

[quote=“”]
4. RIT’s change of dye formula

[quote=“”]

1 Like