**MoonageMin's Trick-a-Week 2022- #51- NANDA KANDA -End of year challenge $50 YYE gift certificate prize!

Welcome to Friday! Hope you guys are ready for the weekend. You know i love FrontStyle and Repeater so when @mable suggested this i couldn’t hesitate! Relatively easy so we can learn this one and catch up!
Velvet Rolls - by Chris Makita

VELVET ROLLS

9 Likes

I haven’t 4A’d in a while, broke my bearing and I have a cold, but here is my ATTEMPT in my cramped hallway.

5 Likes
7 Likes

Well done!

1 Like

Velvet Rolls

5 Likes

Beautifully done!

2 Likes

Still working on getting them consistent, especially not missing the string as often as I am.

4 Likes

Week 44 — Superman

There’s a new Superman in town (Superman 3), but for those of us unfamiliar with the original here is this week’s trick, the original Superman.

Or if you prefer our own inimitable @AndreBoulay

11 Likes

More like Super Knots!..

4 Likes

I do not like performing this trick at all. The pop up through the triangle around your wrist to undo the kink in the wrist mount near the end is so awkward. The magic drop from within a wrist mount is so awkward, but I guess that’s more on me for just never doing magic drops. These elements just feel so dated since modern tricks never touch on this kind of stuff, yet the players of old were doing these elements on Renegades/Freehand 2s like it was nothing.

Much respect for the old players.

This is the cleanest take you’re going to get from me since this really isn’t something I want to spend time practicing. That pop through the wrist mount to undo the kink is so tricky, and that’s just an element I feel like I’m never going to use unless I’m trying to copy the tricks/style of the 00s.

7 Likes

I definitely need more combos that involve wrist mount… but ive already frustrated myself with Rodeo knot this year :joy: and over 6 months to get consistant.

1 Like

These two tutorials are different. In @Tricksyouforgot44 's the Magic Drop is to the back requiring another step with a jump back to the front. @AndreBoulay 's predates this tutorial but he drops to the front so you can then go directly to the hop back out.

Ive learned it both ways, but the going to the back is a harder variation.

3 Likes

Thanks, I didn’t realize the back variation was harder. Just tried it Andre’s way and it’s so much easier.

6 Likes

Oh right yea I did that one…

Tuts were/are all over the map on this trick when I was researching to make mine. Made it that way since at the time none of them exactly matched Jason Lee’s original debut of the trick since matching trick’s original vision is part of the MO. Other one definitely easier to hit agreed. Pick your pick.

4 Likes

Anyone else have trouble with the first double on? I keep binding up instantly coming out of the double on into the magic drop… if i get out of that (it’s ugly) but i can land magic drop on the back string and (really ugly) get through the rest of the trick.

1 Like

Try to keep the strings more taut. It might seem a little counter-intuitive, but trying to keep the strings all tighter during that will just let less loose string cluster up around the response area of your yoyo.

I lied when I said I wasn’t going to keep practicing this. Using a responsive plastic Freehand 1 and getting way smoother on this.

7 Likes

Thanks excellent Tip @mable … i think I’m pulling too taught cause i kill the flow but I’ll get the hang of it.
Now after the second double on… what’s your tip to throw the yoyo through the TH triangle back into regular WristMount?

Also anyone else think practicing this trick is shredding your string faster then anticipated?

1 Like

Sounds like a tricky one this week! Hoping to get involved once I’m over this illness. Great seeing your videos as always.

1 Like

That part you’re talking about now is by far the hardest part of the trick I think.

What’s been helping me is to keep my hands further apart during it, and to focus on trying to swing the yoyo in an arc through that triangle. I think when your hands are closer together or you’re trying to pop the yoyo straight up through the triangle it won’t work as well.

Would also love some tips for this if anybody else has some. It feels like even at the max size the triangle is still really small, and any extra movement you do wants to make the triangle even smaller.

1 Like

Wow, this thread is great, why do i see it just now?!
However, coincidentally i learned superman this week when i saw someone post his superman3, so here is my take. looking forward to participate more :slight_smile:

12 Likes