MoonageMin & Twitch's Trick-a-Week Challenge! (2020)

I went backwards in progress yesterday haha.
I only got about 30 minutes in again (been such a busy week for me so far!!)…and though I did land another 20+ Magic Drops, I was having a heck of a time with them.

I think rough days like yesterday are actually good for us though. I’m too tired to try and figure out how to explain that haha…but I think we need to struggle in order to learn and to get better.

6 Likes

It looks like it’s tilting when you let it sit in the position after the drop right before you hop into the top string. You want to leave it there as briefly as possible, as the strings are all slightly out of alignment with each other, so just to keep the yo-yo from going out of plane you have to kill spin, which just makes everything harder. Right before the hop, you can make a quick adjustment if it’s too off plane to finish the last part of the trick, but you need to do it quick. Then hit that top string and finish the “whirly bit” in plane with the yo-yo—whirling the yo-yo around out of plane with the yo-yo kills spin pretty fast.

4 Likes

I 100% feel you, my man. Same here. I work in retail marketing and November & December are always hell for us. Lately I’ve been so fried that I haven’t had the energy for any hobby stuff. Just vegging with the cats playing Civ or hanging with the Mrs.

That said, @MoonageMin @twitch77 this thread and videos are starting to get that spark lit in me again. It’s been a long while since I’ve learned new tricks. Might have to play catch up once the holiday season is over but please keep this going!!!

8 Likes

I’m really glad @twitch77 and my practice plan is benefiting so many of you lovely people here

6 Likes

This is so nice to hear! :smiley: Very happy for you man!!

6 Likes

Today’s progress or lack thereof :slight_smile:
I’m not sure at which point I’ll be satisfied with saying I did the trick because if I just want a clip of one take I reckon I can already but as you can see it’s not really though is it. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Ill see if i have time to make a tips and tricks video on it later tonight to try help out the people running into problems. @MoonageMin I think one of your problems might be hitting the strings with so much power. You gotta treat that yoyo like an egg to keep it from tilting.

Also this is how my throw hand is right before the magic drop, so all I have to do is flick my thumb under to be in position.

6 Likes

Seconded. I was trying to post the same thing earlier but got distracted. Seemed like he was even getting a bit tired from all those failed Houdini mounts.

5 Likes

My favorite part is at 02:52 when you almost lost your face!
lol :rofl:

If I’m going to start filming myself on a regular basis, I’d like to pick up a black light as well to help the string pop a bit more.
What light are you using?
I’ve been thinking about picking this one up:

5 Likes

Yep, he almost joined the facewhacker club. It’s an exclusive club with elite membership, so maybe he’s not ready :rofl:

5 Likes

Haha I know I almost did the Twitch there on camera. Haven’t quite got there yet :slight_smile:

Yeah I saw @JWaugh’s insta videos and was like wow that is amazing (both the tricks and also how his strings pop so much due to black light)

So I had a look in the rainforest and bought one during Black Friday.

This is the one I bought, but it was £16 when I got it on Black Friday.

4 Likes

Awesome, thanks a lot!
I’ll pick one of these up eventually…
Here’s a link to the same model (I think?) for those of us in the USA:

4 Likes

Power cable is a bit short but from what I read all of these are on the short side. It’s pretty fun to play around with but I wouldn’t t spend a lot on one. It’s more a novelty at this point

3 Likes

Yeah one of the advice I received from (sorry can’t remember where) was to try and get to the end with more power left and to do it quickly before it tilts.

So yesterday I was trying to go as fast as possible and it looks really messy.

4 Likes

Something really important, under 20watt the string barely glows, above 20watt and it can hurt your eyes, so only get 20watt ones

6 Likes

I’m struggling so much still with this trick!
lol I was so enthusiastic at the start of this week too!

I’ve absolutely gotten better with Magic Drops…but I still miss it a lot. Especially when I’m trying to do it during the Kamikaze trick itself lol…that transition from the flip thing directly into a Magic Drop is tough.
And when I do finally land everything up to and including the Magic Drop…that ending bit is rough!
Then I hit everything in the trick including the ending…but then I fail to land it on the trapeze at the very end! :rofl:

Everything is also very stop and go for me atm. I’m not smooth at all. There’s no flow to the trick…it’s like I need to take a short break during each part of the trick to work my way into the next part.

All this being said…I’m loving working on this trick. It’s frustrating, but frustrating in a rewarding way!

5 Likes

Hey this is really informative! I wouldn’t have known so thanks a lot!

3 Likes

I was wondering how you set yours up so it doesn’t bother your eyes. I have mine to the side of me instead of front on

4 Likes

in the beginning you said “i’m trying to do the first bit ad fast as possible so i have more power left” and if you throw hard enough and do double-or-nothing slower you should have enough power but when you throw extremely hard and go super fast your chances of landing double-or-nothing going way down

5 Likes

It was me who said to go fast my bad. I should have tried to explain it better. I mean do everything normal and clean, but just try to cut down on the time that the yoyo is sitting on the string doing nothing. As soon as the yoyo hits an element of the trick you want to be going on to the next. Your swinging a sword, not battle axe. Precision and timing are better than power

6 Likes