MoonageMin & Twitch's Trick-a-Week Challenge! (2020)

Yeah man totally makes sense. I say keep it up Min, even if it’s just for the sake of learning to edit, its absolutely useful to just work with the content surrounding you. Like you said, it might not be the most popular stuff out there but who cares its not for that, its for the sake of learning how to edit more, create more type of content, its essentially practice. And there’s no better way than practicing than going through the motions of start to finish with whatever content you can do at first. Work with whats around you, everyday life, some jam sessions, projects your up to…all that good stuff. Just learning how to be comfortable with the camera, the content you capture, and your editing skills is going to be the value in it all right now you know.

1 Like

Nice man. Those regens look fun. Nice seasick and arm trick.

2 Likes

Dude, good call on the dad channel, you’ve got the charisma and drive to make it happen :call_me_hand:

4 Likes

Thank you sir! Let’s see where it goes :grin:

2 Likes

Thank you my man, I really appreciate that :pray: :blush:

2 Likes

How is everyone doing with the horizontal tricks? Still trying to get it down myself lol. I finally got the banana turn over to trapeze and bind but no real combos or anything yet. All in all though, having tons of fun finally putting in some time on horizontal. I used to play with spintops a lot back in the day and it immediately brought back the feeling of tricks with the bearing ones lol. Anyways just wanted to see how guys are doing with it? Whats working for you guys what hasn’t been and so on. Hope you all are having a great day :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Havnt got to start yet. My new job is quite physical.

The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised.

I just started my spintop journey( again) and can see how this week’s trick is heavily related. Today is a day off. I’ll be giving it a go.:wink:

5 Likes

Nice! Look forward to seeing how it goes for you my man. Yeah the spin top skills definitely come up right? What type of top are you using?

3 Likes

Spintastics with a fixed tip, I received it from @ta0 years ago. I should be better considering I have a previous world champion in my city as a coach. My own fault for not pursuing more aggressively.
I’m remedying that though.:wink:

4 Likes

I can throw, banana turnover, mount, bind, but that’s it. But I learned that a year or two ago. I gave it a go and can still do it, but I’m working on some other stuff this week instead. I don’t have a good space for doing horizontal… and I do the majority of my throwing when the wife and kids are asleep, I don’t think they’d appreciate the inevitable sound of lamps, shelves and baby toys crashing to the floor :rofl:

Hoping to remedy this situation in the near-ish future.

3 Likes

Nice! Thats sick! Its so hard to find em nowadays

2 Likes

hahahah I hear you on that. Whenever I mess around with 5a at night I’m pretty certain they think I’m just destroying the house lol. I have 3 kids myself and if not looking out for hitting random objects, its looking out for small children or mesmerized cats lol. So far so good lol.

4 Likes

Haha! I tried 5a for the first time back in May, and doing 5a at night lasted exactly one night.

3 Likes

Horizontal just isn’t clicking with me :confused: I’m not ready to give up on it as its a style I’d love to get down eventually, but it still feels super awkward and uncomfortable

2 Likes

Haha sorry guys I haven’t worked on my horizontals at all!

Been working on this all day today XD

My second video for the new channel

7 Likes

So I’m been grinding horizontal hard and it’s finally starting to come around. I’ve gotten the modified skin the gerbil smooth a few times now and thought “hey, I could probably hit a double or nothing and roll out of it”. Nailed it first try! My face that is…not the trick :joy:

6 Likes

So here is my progress so far on horizontals.
Must admit that I actually didn’t practice at all this whole week (haha sorry lazy) and only started today.

What I found helpful was to do a normal Skin the Gerbil once before each horizontal attempt.
This helped me clean up my normal gerbil and got that feeling of doing the trick in easy mode before attempting the same thing in hard mode (i.e. Zontals).

So if you are getting the banana turnover, trapeze & bind, but struggling with the gerbil in horizontal, I think working on your gerbil in normal side style first will def help. Whilst in side style try and execute the trick without stopping and keeping the yoyo in motion the whole time, just like you would need to do in horizontal. Really focus on the direction changes as those are the toughest bits to get right while going zontal.

So this is my progress update so far, on hindsight I should have aimed the camera up higher as half my zontal bit isn’t even in frame XD.

6 Likes

You have any tips on zontal? Mainly just binding and mounting lol.

3 Likes

Well for me anyway, it was similar to when we first learnt trapeze and binds, just had to do it over and over again until it started feeling a little more natural.

I think when it comes to something as basic as mounting and binds it really is muscle memory.

Having said that there is one tip that I kind of figured out by comparing when I landed on the string vs when I didn’t.

When you want to land on a string, the hand opposite to to the one that the yoyo is spinning around, (i.e. your throw hand if trying to land a trapeze) needs to be slightly lower down as due to gravity having both hands parallel means you miss just below of the string.

4 Likes

Ohh yeah still struggle with that one often. Video looked solid cap’n!

3 Likes