MoonageMin & Twitch's Trick-a-Week Challenge! (2020)

:star2: :star: :star2: Trick-A-Week #31 STAR COMBO :star: :star2: :star:

Sorry for the late announcement guys! @MoonageMin has been slammed with workā€¦and Iā€™m not exactly sure whatā€™s going on with me this week. Iā€™m a bit out of sorts though!

Butā€¦weā€™ve got a cool one lined up for this week! Looks tough, but I think itā€™s manageable! Itā€™s one Iā€™ve wanted to work on for a while now!

I hope you all have a good week and stay safe! :heart:

8 Likes

Great jobā€¦and for being in a dimly lit room, the quality here was great! Everything is very clear and easy to see!

Heck yeah man, youā€™ve got this :D. Iā€™m too busy counting all your wins you continue to rack up as the weeks and months pass to keep track of any mistakes you make!

Yes! A bit more practice and youā€™ll have these down like theyā€™re nothing!! :smiley: Well done!

5 Likes

Thanks a lot for updating the trick of the week nonetheless, I hope both of you guys realize how much the time you put in this thread is appreciated! :slight_smile:

Hasnā€™t been an extremely yoyo-productive week for me neither except during the week-end. :sweat_smile:

This weekā€™s trick looks great, I definitely had 2 or 3 ā€œwooah!ā€ moments while watching the preview.

4 Likes

Thanks for the kind words @stringKnot I really appreciate it.

My enthusiasm and confidence ebb and flowā€¦not sure whatā€™s going on right now, but itā€™s okay :slight_smile: Things are good and will work themselves out!

ā€¦
Iā€™ve only put about 20 minutes into this trick so far just now, and Iā€™m up to the first star in the combo! :smiley: This is the best Iā€™ve felt on a trick in a good long whileā€¦I actually feel like I can do this one! lol

5 Likes

For the last couple of weeks Iā€™ve been trying to focus on already learned TaW tricks, and tried for the first time to find some ways to combine them between each-other or find nice ways to go from one to the other.

Here is the result, made in majority out of Trick-a-Week tricks (Only exception being the basic rejection at the beginning and some Kwijibo parts).

Hope you guys enjoy it, I feel very grateful for finding this topic!

9 Likes

haha wow! So cool you got this on camera! Thanks for sharing! This was very impressive! Love how you got parts of so many T-A-W tricks in there! Parts of Kamikaze and Smoothie, as well as Jade Whip, lots of hops and a complete Black Hops like it was nothing!

Is this a combo you hope to continue working on? This would be a killer combo to show off to others if you throw in front of people in the 3d world!

4 Likes

Also we appreciate having you man! Youā€™ve added a lot of support, encouragement and positivity to this thread!

4 Likes

Thanks a lot @twitch77!

Definitely :smiley:, at the moment Iā€™m really happy with the kwijibo/superflow/kamikaze hybrid at the beginning, they go so well together and feel really satisfying to land.

Iā€™m looking for new weird ways to dismount the Jade Whip and different variants of the Smoothie/Black Hops but these three are giving me a harder time. I did experiment with some Kwijibo/Black Hops fusion and it looks cool but is tough to land.

4 Likes

Holy cow! Everything about that video was fantastic! That was effing smooth and crisp and i needed to watch it a few times. BLACK HOPS! Mid combo like itā€™s nothing! YOU DA MAN! @stringKnot you should make more videos!
Can u post the trick order if your willing? I like putting together TaW combos, that one may have been the best ever!

On a much less smooth noteā€¦ 45 seconds of your time and a thank you to @PCaliyoyos for a cool yoyo. This is the second matio star ive learned. He seems to have a endless library of cool stuff to throw into your routines. This is a keeper for sure.

@twitch77 & @MoonageMin you are both extremely appreciated. I hope things settle down for you. I know life has been crazy for a few months, honestly i donā€™t think mine is going to go back to anything close to normal any time soonā€¦ positive it leaves a lot of time to throw with you guys. :wink::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::crazy_face:

6 Likes

Cool star at the end of this Trick AK! I totally plan on learning this so I can finish this weekā€™s trick with it like you did! :smiley:

Also, the Superstar is such a great little throw! Wish they made them in green :frowning:

4 Likes

Both are mr matio tutorials.

2 Likes

Do you have a link to the tutorial by chance?

2 Likes

Z grmly star [the second star i threw)

This weeks trick just to stay organized. Star combo yoyo trick tutorial - YouTube

Seriously this guy has tons of great stuff

4 Likes

Thanks AK!

3 Likes

Thank you very much @AKYOYOMIKE, glad you liked it :smiley:
Of course, hereā€™s the trick order:

• Start with a double or nothing

• Do a Basic Backhand Rejection
    ā€“ Important: On the rejection hop, Adam lands the trapeze on his index finger like normal, I land on my thumb. (Iā€™m actually using this Rejection to sort of hide the fact that I start Kwijibo with thumb)

• From your ā€œthumbā€ trapeze, launch a ā€œthumbā€ variant of first part of Kwijibo into a 1.5.
    ā€“Important: Itā€™s like throwing a normal first Half of Kwijibo except youā€™re replacing your NTH index with your NTH thumb.

• Once in 1.5, you can do a Superflow. Mind that it will look/feel a little different because of the NTH thumb replacing the index.

• Right at the end of superflow you can do the second and final hop of Kwijibo. Youā€™ll notice that you actually land in Houdini Mount since you used your thumb instead of index.

• From Houdini, you can do your usual Kamikazeā€™s first part (I skip the magic drop)

• Then a Jade Whip, that you dismount by putting your finger inside both loops and can make it roll like from a double or nothing.

• This will put you in the perfect momentum to start a Smoothie

• At the end of the Smoothie, instead of binding I dismount and go for triple or nothing

• Black Hops

• Your favorite bind :smiley:

As you can see, the beginning differs from the rest as itā€™s much more ā€œhybridā€ and less ā€œone trick after each other back to backā€, Iā€™d like ultimately for the whole combo to feel like the former.

Wow, you already got this weekā€™s trick super fast, looks great!
And thanks for sharing the second one, thatā€™s a perfect match.

3 Likes

glad i could provide a good yoyo! :smiley:

3 Likes

Wow, that was nice! And MF Copi FTWā€”thereā€™s been so many times Iā€™ve been trying to land a trick or combo and I just canā€™t until I switch back to Copi (or Dragon).

Did it take you long to come up with that combo and land it?

Iā€™ve recently been toying with superflow with a thumb trapeze to include bits of Candy Rain in some combos.

3 Likes

Nice work man. I guess I need to get on it and start working on this weekā€™s trick.

3 Likes

Yeah, I agree with you about MF Copi and Dragon! They are on my two most played throws (got Dragon on my Ti-Vayder) and they feel so great to play with, especially for slacks!

I already knew it was possible to combine Superflow/Kwijibo and I just got curious if I could land in Houdini mount after that same trick by using my thumb. Once I found it out, the rest of the combo took a week to get smooth.

Itā€™s not a too hard combo to land imo, as almost all elements were part of T-a-W, the Superflow definitely makes it look more complicated than it is :stuck_out_tongue:. Iā€™d say I can land it 20% of the time flawless, with the most common failures being:

• the rejection to thumb trapeze at the very beginning
  • Black Hops at the end

Oh wow! Just looked up Candy Rain and it looks like a perfect fit with Superflow, looking forward to read/watch your result! :smiley:

5 Likes

Well I never really accomplished what I was going for. Iā€™ve got a few other combos Iā€™ve been working on and really really need to get on film sometime soon. Itā€™s just really hard for me to find time to film and set up my equipment.

I did make a vanilla Candy Rain video up aboveā€¦ among the thousands of posts :rofl:

Iā€™ll just link it here, a mere mortal doing Candy Rain:

5 Likes