MoonageMin & Twitch's Trick-a-Week Challenge! (2020)

Pfft, that’s easy, I could do that all day.

The belly and head thing not kamikaze or Slingy lol.

6 Likes

Took me 3 months but now i throw JL sling into all my frontstyle at any point. It’s a great element.

5 Likes

That’d be awesome :smiley: this trick-a-week could be a great way to push you into some new tricks and elements moving forward! I’d love to hear about your progress! :smiley:

Okay well this is not the thread to be posting about fixed axle. Since this is your first infraction here at this super serious Trick-A-Week, we’ll let you go with a warning.
lol :stuck_out_tongue: post away anything and everything man! I love watching your vids and seeing you progress!!

Really cool you’ve jumped into 0a! It’s a style I’d like to work on eventually as well!

Nice job on the Double Kwiji!!

haha nice!

you getting sick of me commenting on your new lighting/backdrop set up yet? Cause holy damn it looks good!

Well…I mean…when things are actually in focus at any rate! lol :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Oh! Nice job!! :smiley:
lol it looks like the door behind you is drawn with a pencil like in old comics to me haha…looks really neat!
Jason Lee’s Sling took awhile for my head to wrap around as well…lol it looks SO simple (and really, it is)…but you’re moving your hands in opposite directions and it’s a bit boggling.
It’s not one I’ve worked on much since…I’ll have to start using it again cause it really is a fun one!

6 Likes

Week #27 : Jade Whip → Iron Whip → Follow

So this week we are back to 1A tricks and following on from my rant about drilling the fundamentals and going back to basics before we start learning flashy stuff we are learning these 3 tricks.

So basically I really want to learn Follow, so we are learning the Jade Whip which is a precursor, and the Iron Whip which is a variation to Jade Whip (and a trick ladder trick) in order to get there.

Jade Whip :

Iron Whip:

Follow :

6 Likes

Awesome :smiley: Really looking forward to jumping back into 1a. I took a big step back from yoing in May, but fully plan on getting back into the swing of things here in June!

3 Likes

Funny you read my mind. I started practicing iron whip when i realized i don’t know any whips other then plastic… spread sheet pointed out my missed tricks.

4 Likes

Yeees!

First time seeing Follow and it looks incredible.
Same thing for Iron Whip!

These two tricks will be perfect to change a bit while I work on my speed combo to catch up week #3

I learned Jade Whip as part of the first 50 tricks:
It was my favorite trick to learn so far because it has no big impact on string tension (it actually decreases tension if you fail and pass the whole loop around the yoyo)
So you can enter the « yo-zone » and just try it non-stop for 15min straight. (RIP throwing hand arm though :grin:)

I discovered that you can also choose to « fail » it and make the wrong string go into the yoyo gap, setting you up for a really cool one handed bind.
(For this you need to align the pinky finger side of your hand with the gap, whereas for the real trick you’d try to align your index side with the gap as you whip)

EDIT:
Made a quick video show the difference in hand position in case it can help anyone:

Basically your hand at 00:08 is should be closer to you compared to the normal whip at 00:03.

3 Likes

Very cool bind! :smiley: I’ve gotta learn this!!

2 Likes

I just landed 3 of the ugliest Jade whips nooneelse will ever see… took an hour of jamming… and i couldn’t repeat it if i tried, but i landed them😀. Video to follow… as for FOLLOW! Wow i think that’s going to be a catch up video to come.

Jade whip any pointers on catching that loop with your TH? When the yoyo comes around the TH how close is the yoyo?
I basically either catch the yoyo string and have a pretty loop, or i miss the whole thing and the yoyo landes in a sleeper.

3 Likes

Congrats! If you already landed a couple ones you’ll have it for sure by the end of this week. This trick is really one of those that just « click », like boingy boing.

Are you bringing the yoyo to a full stop once (or a bit before) the string makes contact with the side of your throwing hand?
You really want the yoyo to stop completely in the air and start falling straight down once you grap to whip. It is 100% worth practicing and helped me a ton.
Also make sure your hand palm is facing up as it swipes beneath the yoyo.

As for distance, I’d say not to overthink it. Once the yoyo has stopped motion in the air, swipe your hand beneath it with enough distance that you won’t hit the yoyo. Hope that helps!

3 Likes

@AKYOYOMIKE

That is the most important thing in learning this trick. Also, try going pretty slow. You want to grab the string and let the slack fall into the yo-yo gap. Once you’ve got it down you can change it up however you like.

3 Likes

Honestly these are some of my favorite tricks

Here’s a video of different iron whip variations:

And here’s an example of adding more whip slaps to those variations:

I’m really excited to see youse guise learn follow, it’s a slept on banger for sure

8 Likes

OH thank you Giovanni for the contribution!!

We are doing what we can and additional content like these really help :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My pleasure Min!!

Since first seeing it I had an immediate affinity for follow…it was one of the first tricks I learned (even before properly knowing how to breakaway)

I just thought it looked so cool that I HAD to learn it - I’m so stoked to see ya’ll smash this group of tricks this week

3 Likes

Damb I guess I need to get off my butt and grind it out tonight. (Pun intended :slight_smile:)

3 Likes

@stringKnot thank you for that awesome tip. I have landed jade whip a few times already… slow and grab the whip as the yoyo stops and drops. And @ryanmcg for emphasizing the importance. I might have a chance at follow now. Thanks guys.

4 Likes

Awsome! Landing it the first few times is the hardest part, you got it man :slight_smile:

@Damb I don’t know if it’s just me, but I can’t play your videos.

Also for everyone… I’ve been practicing follow and I’m starting to get somewhere but I highly advise to use a double slipknot around your finger instead of a simple one.
During follow, the loop around my finger got loose and well, see below what happened…

(I’m usually self-conscious of the constant weird faces I make while throwing but this one was too funny not to share :joy:)

7 Likes

@stringKnot uploaded to da Tube! You should be able to view now

4 Likes

Wow your whips and their variations are smoooth! :open_mouth:
You’re next level.
I’m gonna try to learn slaps, looks fun.

4 Likes