Monthly Throw Speculation Thread (SPOILER WARNING)

Yeah this month is no Grandmaster that’s for sure :frowning:

5 Likes

That’s disappointing. Mine will be here Monday, I guess I’ll see.

1 Like

I tend to agree. Mine is slightly glossier on one side. Maybe you and I could half-swap to get one consistent color :rofl:

So I have some beefs

• monometal 7075
  • company I’ve never heard of
  • inconsistent ano per side

That does not scream “$120 value” to me?

The Grandmaster last time was awesome though!!

8 Likes

I purchased the Grandmaster direct from YYE in my choice of colorway for $100 when they dropped. What am I missing here? It’s not a $120 value either. I’ve heard about this program before and visited the site but it’s way too confusing and doesn’t honestly seem like a great value.

6 Likes

The value is there, but a bit “hit or miss” as far as popular yoyos; though, historically, there have been more hits than misses.

Agreed.

6 Likes

I’m not a subscriber, but curious if they often throw in bearings and other extras to get the monthly box up to the right value level or is it just the yo-yo?

5 Likes

Sometimes but not everytime. Monthly Throws definitely litter the BST.

7 Likes

Last tier 2 was very solid in my opinion. The liberty is really fun. This tier 3 is… Pretty weak. Value isn’t defined just by what the company that makes it sells it for. A lot of us only buy yoyos in the 100$ range when it’s a company we really like or if we’ve heard amazing things. This has neither of those qualities. Nor does it feel unique or different enough to justify anything even close to it’s price range. But hey made In America I guess?

Also when they posted a pic of a pink g2 coozie on their insta about 2 weeks ago I got pretty pumped thinking it was a hint about the upcoming throw lol.

5 Likes

I can’t be the only one interested in pics of what this yoyo looks like.

3 Likes

I’m interested too

1 Like

The first rule of YoYo club is…

Here ya go guys

8 Likes

Oh wow that’s strange. I see what you mean about the two sides.

3 Likes

I’ve been subscribing for 5 months now, so far I’m kinda disappointed. I’m going to give it another 3 tier cycle, and then decide if it is worthwhile or not. I didn’t care for the little league, I haven’t put enough time into the liberty to decide. I hate the colorway on the liberty, but maybe thats just me. The grandmaster was my first tier 3, and I think the cool exclusive colorway makes it worth more than the $100 price of the retail drop. The grandmaster has been the only monthly drop I was really excited by. It’s an incredible throw.

A $100+ monometal better be something very special, something like a G2/opyoyo, or it needs to come with some really nice extras, or some kind of super cool exclusive anodizing or engraving.

I was hoping for a bowl for this month’s drop. An unknown vendor with no presence on the internet, I feel like somebody is just dumping a custom run of yoyo’s when they don’t have the street cred to move them at that price themselves. I’d really like to be wrong.

6 Likes

That’s a nice color and an interesting shape. But a big wtf on the mismatched halves. It almost looks like a different blast on either half?

2 Likes

Yea the halves do seem slightly different also theres one spot where the ano is either so thin that you can see through it or they slightly dinged it during testing, not sure. Either way I tend to agree with the assessment that these were essentially a custom run that would have NEVER sold at their supposed price point otherwise.

I feel like I’m talking a lot of ---- on this yoyo so I will say that it does play solid enough but then again what doesn’t these days.

2 Likes

I have a theory here.

My first Monthly Throw was a Tier 2 Recess Snack. Nice colorway but tons of pinprick ano flaws. I reached out to Ryan at Monthly Throws and he gave me a heads up that that month’s throw was supposed to be a different one, but that there were issues at the last minute. So he reached out to Tyler at Recess and they rushed out a run of Snacks with a custom colorway. Unfortunately, because of the rush, he wasn’t able to inspect all of them and a couple got through with ano issues. He also sent me an A-grade Snack to make up for it.

I wonder if something similar occurred here. Maybe it was a rush and Ryan didn’t get a chance to QC all of the units. He really seems to value his brand and the customer experience so I don’t think he’s trying to scam people into buying overpriced b-grades. I’d definitely recommend reaching out to him and giving him a chance to make it right.

I subscribed to Tier 2 for a couple of cycles and Tier 3 for ~a year. Aside from the Snack, I’ve honestly had a really good experience with them. I only unsubscribed because I’m kinda moving away from mystery boxes in general—being more selective about what throws I spend my hobby money on since I’ve been getting more into other hobbies recently.

4 Likes

Probably. And the company is based in NJ I believe, so a lot of companies from the east coast get featured more often (recess, 2sick, oyy,etc)

3 Likes

I can’t make up my mind about mystery boxes. I’ll never buy one from the community (no offense), but I am intrigued when a company offers them.

The YYE/YoYoFactory boxes have been hit and miss as well. I didn’t like the Marco, I REALLY loved the KEDGE box, and I REALLY didn’t care for the last one. So I’m only hitting about 33% happiness with that system, but I’ll absolutely sign up for the next one because I am an addict and the highs are SO GOOD. #notacryforhelp

The throw in this last box may have underwhelmed a bit, but I do enjoy it, and I got what I wanted out of the suspense and torture of waiting for the mail carrier. #alsonotacryforhelp

11 Likes

Mine looks exactly like this, and the anno has some thin spots also. I tried some finger grinds and it tilts quickly since the halves have different friction. I’ve bought better B grades. Definitely lodging a complaint.

2 Likes