Modern yoyo bearing seats, too tight? Why do they suck?

A gradual taper will shorten your area of engagement to locate the bearing, so long as you’re only tapering a portion of the seat, it can definitely help lead-in the bearing.

Small tapers and chamfers are easy for a little grooving tool to do while in a lathe, Post-production it wont be so easy.

2 Likes

The reason why their tight is because it’s easier to make a smooth yoyo with a tight bearing seat than a loose one, and everyone in the community is/was obsessed with smoothness, so the machine shops went this direction to sell more yoyos.

You can still have a tight bearing seat and easy assembly, they’re not exclusive. My first prototype had a HORRIBLY tight bearing seat where it was next to impossible to get the bearing off, even with a tool. I tweaked it for production and while the bearing is still tight it can be removed easily with a multi tool, and the yoyo screws together/apart flawlessly.

8 Likes

I never unscrew my yoyos unless I’m cleaning or swapping the bearing. I always put in a wooden toothpick and pull the knot out. This isn’t to say a very tight bearing seat is acceptable or that you shouldn’t open your yoyos, but I do lean toward don’t open them unless you need to.

I do occasionally practice 2a, and I suppose I have to take those apart to get knots out. These yoyos often come part very easily though. Also axle knots seem pretty rare for me when practicing 2a.

3 Likes

Im personally not afraid to open any yoyo, if problems occur then i just wont buy from that company again

1 Like