Mk1 Mechanics - Yoyo design - Part 10, why not fingerspin?

Well awesome! Looking forward to this!

1 Like

There have been some production delays, but I’ve been sent at the very least a photo of some of them assembled.

This is a project for sharing, so you get to see the blurry photos, too!

12 Likes

Man that looks amazing

1 Like

I’m sure they will be done soon Mark! Love that colorway!

2 Likes

These are finally done and on their way to the MK1 home office!

12 Likes

Yes finally !!! The wait is almost over !!! I can feel it :star_struck:

3 Likes

Got the big box on Tuesday. Planning on testing this weekend, also working on another video for the design series that documents this part of the process.

Desaturated to save some colorway reveals for later!

17 Likes

So if everything is all set and assembled and packaged, what is the testing?
Just curious what actual goes into testing, i guess i will have to wait for the final installment of video series

I have to test and inspect each one before packaging them. They go into an Mk1 box with a string and a sticker.

7 Likes

Yay! I’m excited! This will be my birthday yo-yo this year (August).

3 Likes

That was fun. I’ll probably make another series like this someday.
Available tonight at YoyoExpert :slight_smile: New bi-metal release from MK1 - The SPYGLASS!

14 Likes

Finally its here !!! Im crying with happiness right now :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

Quick 15 minute discussion about fingerspin design elements. There’s a good reason why they aren’t used on every yoyo design - I go over why and talk some numbers in this video.

The short version is that you have to add a lot of center weight to a yoyo to get a good centering slope. A design can either just accept the weight, remove weight elsewhere, shorten the axle considerably, or change the design considerably.

I usually like to think of a mass “budget” when designing something - there’s some upper limit to total weight that I consider depending on overall dimensions and intent. Sometimes, the desired moment of inertia is easy to hit within a budget, and that’s when I look at fingerspin elements. Other times, the finger spin is a key part of the design, and everything else is molded around it.

9 Likes