Metal or plastic..

I know you’re not asking me, but I figured I’d chime in. It depends on what style you can see yourself adopting with a wooden yoyo. Some folks like to see what “modern” tricks they can translate into fixed axle play. It’s very challenging as you can imagine, considering the response and reduced spin times. Here you’ll want more weight for spin and to a lesser extent something with a more pronounced butterfly shape. Personally, I enjoy stalls and regens. I am rarely whipping the snot out of wood trying to get extra spin. I like lighter wooden yoyos because they work better for me with tricks like shoot the moon and they are easier to control on stalls for the most part. Also the light weight helps to reduce string burn on longer sessions with a lot of stalling and regen-ing action. All the eh yoyos are great if you can get one, as are lots of the TMBR and OUT throws.

I appreciate the input man. Really. I’m not sure how I would approach wood lol most likely try to translate my modern play as you said.

the passion never dies

Forgot to mention it, but the no jive is a great option also. Replaceable axles, great shape, they can take you a long way

Not trying to hijack - all of those (OUT, TMBR, No Jive, and also Hildy Bros) are wonderful options if you decide to see where wood takes you. Plastic/metal/wood are all different sides of the same… 3-sided?.. coin. It’s just what speaks to you and what’ll help you to throw “like yourself”.