Mental Illnesses

Remember… I stated something my Mom had related to me; many years ago.

She was a Pediatrics Nurse for decades. Working with young people.

She had a number of experiences of witnessing the aftermath of suicides. How relatives and friends would be Crushed to various levels over a death by suicide. And blaming themselves for not seeing the signs, or seeing things going South but not possibly doing enough. And if they could/ would have/ could have done more; maybe somebody would not have killed themselves.

Personally; I have zero training in Suicide Prevention. But using a logical mind; my view would be that when a person is contemplating suicide; they are primarily focused on their personal Anguish’ and not spending much time concerned about others feelings.

To me; when many people[not all] are contemplating suicide; it’s more about stopping the ‘mental pain’ and little else. I don’t think most want to ‘die’; to end up simply dead.

I think it’s more like a light switch. You flip the switch and the light goes off.

Some people for their various reasons; take on so much pressure and pain… and ultimately make the decision to ‘turn out the lights’.

My Moms’ take on the selfish mode was her view from watching the continued suffering of all those left behind. Alive; to recall, remember and regret missed opportunities that may have achieved different results.

My Mom had a major stroke and dropped dead one year ago.

Or I would have been happy to ask her to provide more depth on her statement for clarity.

3 Likes

:frowning:
That’s tough.
It’s been 2 1/2 years since my own mom passed. 3 years ago it wasn’t possible in my mind to ever be without her.

4 Likes

That’s why I didn’t quote the source. No need. There is no clarity needed on what the victim mentality is or its psychological validity.

Personally, burying someone isn’t any harder than taking care of them for me. To think the human body is permanent or comes with some guaranteed expiration date is to think unnaturally. This unnatural thinking does cause suffering and pain, whether through suicide or death of natural causes as you stated.

It is a daunting topic. The blame game has done no good in what I’ve seen around the issue. Shaming someone on the thought of suicide isn’t helping them. Suicide is a birth right of consciousness and being a top 10 killer in the US, 2nd leading killer in the age groups 10 to 34, the subject needs real discussion and the taboo stigma removed. 20+ veterans take their life daily, they’re not all weak.

The idea that someone contemplating suicide should think more about the feelings of those who, many times, are the reason they are considering suicide in the 1st place is another common misunderstanding. There is a difference between killing yourself to punish another as to remove your own personal pain. Many people should feel guilty and blame themselves. They ignored and watched this pain progress for years and did nothing. Many family members actually goad their ‘loved’ ones into suicide thinking that is how you were supposed to help. By teasing and bullying them for sharing their feelings. So be glad you are in control, you are strong enough to handle all that life will bring. But do not compare yourself to those who are not as strong as you see yourself, that does them no good. Comparison is not truth. I can tell you how to help a little, in most suicide cases. Just listen. In small or large portion I am sure if you listen closely enough, you will see a reflection of yourself somewhere. Your strength can help the suffering, but you will have to become intimate with them. An intimacy that transcends any of your judgment and possibly understanding. But, that is the test at times. Can you be compassionate to someone you do not understand.

I’ve worked hotlines, have family suicides, friends, and service members. To say it is only ‘mental’ pain is to ignore what level of mental pain some have to endure, but just as many are in extreme bodily pain. I assure you, you would be crushed just as easily from a rotting dying brain. Many blame Robin Williams for not toughing it out. Sure, but at least try to understand what he was going through. That his brain was sending him false information about everything. So the idea that logically they are only thinking of themselves is a chance to open your mind to a larger understanding. So many kill themselves to save their loved ones from years of full time care and a certain horrible end. In that, there is love.

Your moms’ take didn’t understand the victim mentality is all. It does not mean anything else. No one else can make you feel anything you don’t want to. That’s the basic fact of how the victim mentality persist. Those people she watched continually suffer will choose to suffer no matter what, the suicide didn’t manifest that suffering. It was there long before that. The tragic part is that many times this constant suffering is a major contributor to the suicides reasoning. ‘Mom/Dad is never happy, so what chance do I have?’ is taught to children through no fault of their own. So it really has nothing to do with the ‘others’ behavior. Those people want to suffer and will make it so.

Better to drop dead than some outcomes of a major stroke no? Have you found gratitude in that? It is there waiting for you if you haven’t. Same with your mom. Ask her quietly in your heart sometime. See if love is capable of energy transfer without a body.

4 Likes

I was raised by a Mom that was a career Registered Nurse. She focused mainly on working with Kids. But she ‘floated’ (worked different departments; ER Triage, Terminal wing and Internal meds)
W
Two of her best friends worked the Cold Storage(where they put the dead bodies before transport). And one other Doctor friend; that did Autopsies.

One thing she never got use to was to work the Terminal Wing and she children as young as a few years old; dying with little hope for even a miracle. Dead players;so to speak.

And on the Autopsy table; dead young folks with no apparent medical problems. Just a problem from the neck up to cause the resulting suicide.

I would hear my Mom tell my Dad, ‘I really wish the people that decide to ‘clock out’ could somehow trade places with the young dying kids’. She would say that the poor kids would struggle to survive one day at a time. And others with mental issues; kill their heads and take their healthy bodies with them’.

She knew the ultimate reality is that suicide victims don’t spend much time considering a better solution to their issues.

So; when she passed; I was already prepared without even realizing it.

We all take turns dealing with death…—

PS. Your stating that my Moms’ ‘take’ didn’t understand the victims mentality at all’ is drawing to much of a conclusion from not enough information.
My Mom was a Nurse for decades. A good Nurse that dealt daily with all types of mindsets in a multitude of trying situations. Regardless of your stated experience; you haven’t the slightest actual understanding of my Moms’ views and understandings based on her life experiences.

Your point of view gains little extra validity by discounting my Moms’ words.

Just give your views and leave my dead Mom out of your part of the conversation.

Thanks

3 Likes

It is an interesting outlook for sure. Thank you for sharing about your mother! A registered nurse is a very respectable career. She sounds amazing.
I messaged this before your edit so I hope this isnt taken out of context. My mother was a nurse too so thats pretty cool.

Im gonna edit this again. Just saying. I can see this thread derailing inti some pretty controversial stuff. I personally am not bothered by it but just putting it out there.

1 Like

If I had to estimate the percentage of people who had their minds changed about serious real life issues through discussion/arguments on the internet, I’d probably put that number at close to 0%.

With more serious topics most people usually have their thoughts firmly fixed in their head. It takes a long amount of time of repeated discussion with someone you’re close to or respect to shift your position or a significant event in life that causes you to reevaluate your perspective.

Seems like a very serious topic that could lead to some animosity based on different views. But I could be completely wrong. Regardless I think it’s derailed the thread from its original intent.

5 Likes

I couldnt have said it better.

3 Likes

Yeah, I agree. While the discussion has touched on some very important topics, and I appreciate everyone’s contributions, whether I agree or not, it seems pretty far from:

4 Likes

i honestly think getting a little off topic can lead to a more interesting discussion though :kissing:

3 Likes

“And alligators are ornery because of all those teeth”. Don’t know what else to say. I was talking about known psychological facts on the victim mentality. If you say another made you suffer, you are being a victim by your choice. Those are the facts. I didn’t invent this stuff, I’m just a messenger. I did not mean ‘victim’ of suicide but used the term (victim mentality) as a psychological definition which might have made it confusing? We are not speaking about the term in the same context.

The cold and harsh judgemental attitude many have towards suicide is a means to discount any amount of suffering the suicide was going through. It’s a dehumanizing technique used in various forms of social conditioning. It is also considered narcissism in respect, but don’t blame me for that. This is based off of us collectively being studied. It is what C. Jung said,

We cannot change anything until we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses.

All the old tropes are not correct. In the world of suicide prevention and education they are broken records of false data. Being angry is normal. But owning that is the 1st step in coming to resolution for loved ones. Unless you are a loved one, or know them intimately (not sex, time/knowledge) of a suicide you really don’t have a valid judgement of them, ever. You just don’t know. Sure you can compare them to a ideal that does not exist, but so what? The fact is this world is a terrifying and painful place to many or it became so through living here. You will have to find compassion for such people or you will never help them. There is plenty of room in the love filled heart to have compassion for all the patients in a hospital.

Before or after death, I just meant love and pain or fear cannot co-exist in the same place. So if you want to feel love, you have to drop the others. So just drop the suffering for a second and the other can approach/be. Be positive/grateful. I know it’s easier said than done, but it is doable. I cared for my father from becoming home bound, to chair ridden, to bed ridden, to a fetal position. I’m fine. Life is beautiful. I would have been fine if he died much sooner too. Seriously. But, he was a Marine and to his final breath he fought. Literally. His arms and legs were cold for hours before he passed while his body fought to maintain a life sustaining core temperature.
I held it together until the Marine handed me his flag while saying the President of the United States of America thanks you for your fathers sacrifice. Then I started shaking and crying and sobbing. It was so beautiful to have that anguish pour out of me. And when I was able to look up and see through my tears again, I saw two battle hardened Marines crying completely with me. I shared a moment with these men like I had served with them somehow. It was what is becoming cliche every time I type it, beautiful. So when I say be grateful, I mean it. When I say it is there if you have not found it, I mean it.

Funny story, decades earlier I almost got fired from the operating room when I went ‘toe to toe’ with the head nurse on being the hospital that was putting feeding tubes in guaranteed beds for the nursing homes. Guaranteed beds are beds with insured non-responsive patients with no family or visitors in them. After putting FT in fetal, non responsive, no family, no hope patients, so the nursing homes could bill another year or more off their insurance/medicare just became to much. I learned what being naive meant yet again. I also learned hospitals are not sacred ground filled with sacred people. By a long shot.

Suicide is a mental illness and a valid part of the discussion imho. How I saw a reason to post some factual information was just that. Plus, no one here could make me feel animosity, or anything. I’m not a victim. :blush: In fact, I think I might be a comedian? I’m always cracking these hilarious jokes to myself when I’m reading.

2 Likes

Well; this is the bottom line for me.

I would never even consider suicide.

Not me…

I’d kill myself first!

The end…

7 Likes

We should go for the longest quoted out replies medal Doc! :crazy_face:

JK.

But I was looking forward to discussing this with you for a reason. Not for who said it, but the truth in what he said and lived by. These ideas are quite important to the strong imho and I do not believe I have misjudged you or your representation of yourself is false.

I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence…
But I believe that nonviolence is infinitely superior to violence, forgiveness is more manly than punishment. Forgiveness adorns a soldier…But abstinence is forgiveness only when there is the power to punish; it is meaningless when it pretends to proceed from a helpless creature…
My creed of nonviolence is an extremely active force. It has no room for cowardice or even weakness. There is hope for a violent man to be some day non-violent, but there is none for a coward. I have, therefore, said more than once…that, if we do not know how to defend ourselves, our women and our places of worship by the force of suffering, i.e., nonviolence, we must, if we are men, be at least able to defend all these by fighting. – Gandhi

~fin

I learned of this hotline through the Ya Na Si YoYo site. https://www.crisistextline.org/
Their description:

Crisis Text Line is a crisis support hotline that functions through text messaging. By texting HOME to 741741, anyone can receive crisis support from a trained counselor.

1 Like

One of the reasons I enjoy this hobby is that it helps with my anxiety. I’m a vet who suffers PTSD and I find that throwing around a yoyo helps to keep mind from wandering onto negative paths. The thrill of mailing a new trick is a positive endorphine release and come simply enough at this point. Working on the yoyos (strings, bearings, etc…) helps too. I enjoy things that keep me occupied like this. It sure beats playing WOW for days. :laughing:

5 Likes

What branch did you serve bro?

3 Likes

Air Force. I was a maintainer on the AC130-U gunships (shout out to my 4th AMU Ghostriders).

4 Likes

Neat. Im guessing you served way before I did sense you are a bit older. I was in from 2009-2014

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s been about 20 years since I signed up. I was class of 2000-2005. Had a blast, though! The U mods are AF spec ops. Stationed in beautiful Ft. Walton Beach Florida. I got to spend 5 years of my early twenties in the heart of spring break.

4 Likes

PTSD

1 Like

2 Likes