Memory (bad habits)

I find it interesting just how long deeply ingrained memory sticks with us. Obtaining a modern yoyo just a few weeks ago has been almost frustrating - by that I mean my muscle and mind memory is getting in the way of me enjoying my new toy.
While in the 6th grade in the late 1940’s yoyoing was a serious fad. We tried to out-do everyone else requiring us to practice for hours.
Now I’m having to consciously try to form the correct hand shape to throw in even the most basic downward direction. Forget anything else for now.
To explain - the yoyo’s of the day had a very narrow slot to allowing the string to enter to wind around the fixed axel. Therefore the throw was directed by pointing the finger where the string was secured (all the way as close to the palm of the hand as possible) to whatever direction desired by just rolling it along the finger using the groove to keep it aligned to the end.
That doesn’t work with yoyos today but for the life of me I find myself unconsciously doing that and making some really bad throws.
Yes, lingering bad habits are hard to break.

9 Likes

Keep at it Tommy2! You got this!

3 Likes

How is the sleeper coming along a week later? Any new tricks?

2 Likes

Learning more and more - even able to make a reasonably good downward throw. Wish the string was a little longer but should get used to the usual length too. I’m quite a bit larger than when in the sixth grade and feel the yoyo should move (old muscle memory thing again) farther away from my hand. This must be a good example of loss of reaction time too - seems before I had much more time to catch it when signaling it to return to my hand.

Also the yoyo needs to roll off my hand the same as back then but I’ve noticed that my fingers not being able to straighten out (each one is a little differently bent inward from arthritis) causes the yoyo to not move straight out unless I pay very close attention to the ring and first finger positioning with each needing to be different so the tips will align.

Didn’t realize this would be such a challenge; however, is a fun exercise to help get back some hand flexibility and maybe even develop quicker reaction time!

4 Likes

That’s great! You should definitely check out the “learn” tab on the YYExpert site for tutorials on the basic tricks. @AndreBoulay ‘s tutorials are easy to follow and great for learning the basics. Another great trick resource is the Yotricks first 50 tricks tutorials.

If you are using the same length string as when you were a boy then you definitely need longer string. A good rule of thumb is to have the string about as long as your belly button when the yo-yo is on the floor. I’d be happy to send you some new strings of sufficient length if you don’t have any. A yoyoer is only as good as a proper string!

I have minor Arthritis in my left hand after chopping off my pinky on a table saw many years ago. It can be a bear after throwing for a while for sure. I do find some temporary relief by using the “biofreeze” product on my joints after long yoyo sessions, but who knew getting old would be so painful.

Glad you’re having fun! Shoot me a message with your info and I’ll send you some nice strings and a fun mystery yoyo! Can’t wait to hear about more progress. Happy yoyo!

2 Likes

Hi Tommy2,

Congratulations on getting back to yoyo. While you and I are a bit older than a lot here, there are many adults like us who enjoy playing yoyo. Remember to relax and enjoy the experience. I know I’m not nearly as quick as I was in 6th grade (or 12th, or when I was 20, 30, or 40 years old), but, that really doesn’t matter, we are having fun and learning new things. So, at least this old dog is learning new tricks :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’d love to find out if theres any health benefits from learning something new when your older. Especially with yoyo, for example does it improve reaction time, or spatial awareness or are these just benefits of youth.
I’m guessing at least one benefit is keeping joints moving, but wether this is true or just my wishful thinking i don’t know.

1 Like

Oh yeah there are documented improvements on the benefits of learning, both cerebral and physical, something new as one ages. I have been walking downtown to the “Y” for over two years - about two and a half miles total rain or shine, and have improved my physical acuity tremendously. I’m working with the dining services and a licensed dietitian from the “Y” to get good and nutritious food in the dining hall. I feel better and test better both balance, strength and alert wise now than before.

Started, without a clue about music except some is nicer to than others to listen to, to learn to play the classical guitar. Because of this past couple years worth of lessons and daily practice I feel more alert and interested in life. Of course all this is my summation.

I hope the Yoyo will enhance my reflexes - just by trying to catch the thing every time - being a single color I can’t tell when it slows down.

Air2

3 Likes

Thanks for the info tommy.
I’ve changed my diet (slightley) and increased my exercise (well started really).
So no sugar as best i can, i read the packets on produce, whole meal bread etc. Swimming at least 4 times week for 45mins. Cylce everywhere even for the weekly shop (no car).
I still can’t thread a needle anymore (can’t see it :laughing:) but i’m hoping the yoyo will help to at least maintain some sort of dexterity.
Some very clever person once said Youth is wasted on the young, i never truly appreciated that in my youth :rofl:

3 Likes

We’re all dying to know some tricks you’ve learned thus far! Are you able to get the Horizon Ultra to do a bind yet? Hope your having fun with everything!

1 Like

Well…the video makes it look so simple…maybe next time. Actually have set a goal - there will be a gathering of yoyoist (that what we are?) in Grapevine on the 27th and I’m determined to have binding down by then and attend that gathering. Really looking forward to going and maybe meeting others at my level of interest, Tommy

3 Likes

Was down to my every-other-day visit at the YMCA this morning and the class coordinator asked that if they scheduled a class on Yoyos would I teach it…Heck, I can’t even bind. You know anyone who might be able to do this in Fort Worth?

1 Like

I don’t know anyone in that area, but I recall seeing several folks from Texas here on the forum. @KesmEyeball is out that way maybe? You should start a new topic on the forum asking for yoyo instructors in the area. I’m sure you’ll get some help from the YYExpert community. Good Luck!

2 Likes