Meeting the Pros?

I haven’t been around that long, but I’ve interacted with some. I wanted to meet Andre Boulay last year, because he was my favorite. I think he’s the most well rounded guy in the business, beyond a pro player status. I’ve seen him a lot since then. His personality exceeds expectations. One of the most kind people I’ve met inside or outside yo-yoing. He’s very perceptive, bright, talented, gracious, and he is extremely kind to his fans and customers. Very down to earth and just a very normal guy.

I met Ann Connolly last year. I approached her while she sat with Ben Conde, and I asked her some questions to post in the “female yo-yoers” thread last year. She was very receptive to the conversation, and very kind to me, while signing a trading card. I have said hello to her since then, and have always been greeted with a smile. Ben Conde was not the focus of that conversation, but he was a perfect gentleman when we met.

I’ve met Eric Koloski, who always has a smile on his face, very personable, and he’ll make conversation and sign autographs, no problem. He’s a gentleman. Same for Dan Dietz, his smile will light up the room. He’s very good with kids too. I met Graeme Steller another guy who always says hello and greets with a smile.

I had some online communication with Sebastian Brock over a BST deal recently. He was very good in communication and went out of his way to add an autographed card (2 in fact) with the package.

I have heard some stories about certain other pros being standofish or rude, but mgiroux77 said it best. Don’t just walk up to people and start talking. Put the meeting in context. Think about whether the person is already talking to someone else, if they are working at the event, or practicing a freestyle. You may think they are rude when they want you to go away, but they may think you are rude for not seeing the context, using common sense, and giving them some space. It goes both ways. But, Also, I’ve said it many times on the forum. These people are human, and they are entitled to a bad mood, a bad attitude or a bad day just like the rest of us. No one here is perfect and has been nice 24 hours a day 7 days a week for their whole life.

1 Like

I want to meet Tyler Severance and Jensen Kimmitt, there my favorite yoyoers, I especially want to meet Tyler, he’s awesome.

At Cal States this year, I got 2 pictures with Jensen. The first was of him being Jensen, and the second picture was of him “not being a wiener”.

I remember after Charles Haycock finished his prelim, Jensen stole Charles, and ran off :smiley: He’s quite the character.

Yes that was truly awesome, Jensen swooped charles with one arm, and sprinted out. Quite a scene

I would love to see them in real life too, not just one of them but both at once ;D

The pros i have met were at triple crown last summer. i met andre and Steve brown, both these guys were very friendly andre was busy working sounds so he couldn’t talk very much. but the little conversation i had with Steve was awesome. and some pros go to the same yoyo club as i do. i saw Eric tranton but never introduced myself, and Ben conde goes every now and then just every time he goes i can’t make it.

Meeting them both at once wouldn’t be a good idea. They don’t have a good past together.

Just warning you.

I’ve met quite a few pro throwers at contests, and they’re pretty much all wonderful, nice people. There’s only one well-known thrower I met who was kind of a jerk to me (won’t name names).

At NER I asked a bunch of the more famous throwers to sign my contest shirt. That almost all looked at me with a big, surprised smile, like “who, me? really?”.

Yeah, that MIGHT (probably will) end in disaster…

I know the “history” behind them, duh, that’s why i want to see them both at once ;D

Well played

I noticed Jensen clapped for everyone but Tyler at cal states :stuck_out_tongue:

But anyways, all pros I have met are awesome! Probably only a few remember my name though…

This, this, this. I’ve hung out with a few of the YYF folks [and many more, including former world champs] in contests and whenever I say that it’s an honor for a nobody like me [seriously, I feel out of place lolol] to be chilling with the greatest and they just say around the lines of “don’t be…we’re yoyoers just like you”.

I mean, shoot…there are some who are not sponsored players but you know they’re good at the craft and they’re still chill.

wait, what history!! Lol, im kinda new :slight_smile: lol haha

Jensen’s girlfriend cheated on him with Tyler

Ed haponik goes to my yoyo club and he is one of the nicest guys out rhere

I’m sponsored and I’m a delight to be around.

2 Likes

Joe Wilson is the kindest guy ever! I wanted to buy a throw off of him, and he offered to personally come to my house to sell it to me! Sure, it’s only 30-45 minutes away, but still, that’s way unexpected.

While meeting most of profesional yoyoers I can say that two guys in particular stand out…in a good way

The first would definately be Paul Dang, he’s a great guy and a great character! His personality is amazing as well

The second yoyoer that stood out for me is Jensen Kimmitt. Jensen has started to take yoyoing and yoyo competirions a lot less seriously which is a good thing in my opinion, because that gives other players to place higher and lets him interract with more people

(I appologize if I spell anything wrong, I’m in a hurry abd don’t want to spell check :P)

Paul dang is awesome.
I also got to meet Zach gormley. He let me try out his Glacier Express and Canvas. Zach is a cool guy.
And during my last contest I met Jennifer kouri, Patrick Mitchell, Joe wilson and Tyler. They were really nice.