Making A YoYo?

I have seen threads that ask how to make wooden yo-yos, but I want to make a yoyo such like the dark magic. Is there any company anybody knows of that will make a yoyo for me of my choice of design? I am really wanting to do this as I am think to enter into a contest and I want to have my personal settings on my yoyo so I can do different combos I made up. If you don’t understand what I am asking, like Andre Bolay, he created the dark magic, how? I know yoyojam did it for them but how do you contact them to ask them to do it for you. Are there any requirements to make a yoyo such as to win 1st place in a yoyo contest (I highly doubt it).

Andre Boulay had the Dark Magic made because he was a good yoyoer, and sponsored by YYJ.

3yo3 will often make custom yoyos for a price.

1 Like

I am new to this business stuff. How do you get YYJ to sponsor you? I am a pretty good yoyoer. Do I have to enter into a contest or something? 3yo3 I will look into.

You don’t look for a sponsor. They look for you.

As far as getting your own yoyo made 3yo3 is your best bet. Won’t be cheap though.
Also if you think you need a certain yoyo to be good then you are wrong. You need to be able to win contests with any yoyo out there. So many people win even though they had no part in the yoyo’s design.

you could win with the DM or a YYF lunatic. the yoyo really doesn’t matter.

1 Like

So your saying that when you win contest and stuff, the companies (YYJ) contact you because your good and then you go from there? That’s pretty cool though. I think I’m entering next year :wink:

Yes but don’t get your hopes up. There are thousands of really great yoyoers and only a few spot on any given team. Some of the best yoyoers may go forever without ever being sponsored.

1 Like

I am aware of that. Thank You all for that info!

You are welcome.

1 Like

no problem

May I ask what relevance your post made? I mean if you are going to post make it worth while.

Intention of making a self-made yoyo? BTW, how much does it cost?

For just one it could cost as much as 300 or more.

which is oddly enough the most expensive one, the first one. Copies of it are -much- cheaper. Simply put, just to make one yoyo you will be paying a premium to order any specific tool inserts, material, station setup, labor, and G-Code Programming, god forbid you not have your own tumbler/blaster because that is going to cost a little bit more to have done as well. Now if you make multiple copies of it, the copies wont be nearly as expensive as the first which means, if you are going to do it and -plan- on trying to make a profit, you need to get a quote, and itemize everything you plan to have done and figure out a reasonable price to turn a buck. Casey would know considering he is the designer and creator of the IKYO Agape. Also remember, the tighter the tolerances of the yoyo, the more expensive the work. The bottom line is, if you plan to do it yourself you need to have a fairly deep wallet.

Cyclontzy on another forum does custom delrins for $100 as well.