major problem

My problem is that I want to try out kendama apart from yoyoing but I know absolutely nothing about kendama on where to hold it and how to hold it.I also don’t know the different areas/parts of a kendama and what there called.
All I know is that it’s made of wood,has a string,and a ball.I’ve seen videos on people use them and it looks fun.
I’ve never seen or even touched a kendama in front of me so I don’t know what the ball is made of.
I want to try it out but I don’t know anything about kendama’s so can anyone explain to me how it works or post pictures,diagrams,instructions,labeled areas of a kendama to show me or expalin the different parts of a kendama and show me how they work.
I really want to know and figure it out and try it because it looks very fun.
you can even put a link to a video or website to show me and explain kendamas if you don’t want to post pictures,diagrams,etc…
I would really appreciate it if anyone took the time to explain or teach me and show me how a kendama works.
I really want to learn.
:slight_smile: thankyou to all that would try to help me out.

Well, I knew as little as you do about kendamas when I got mine. I picked it up at toys r us. Its made by yomega and says “Kendama” on it. And as you can see I still know pretty much kapoot about them. But I do know the two hammer bowl ends are called cups. The spikey thing sticking out above the handle stick thingy is called the spike. And I’m not sure what to call the handle, so I call it Freddy.
As for the ball. I know they’re a wide verity of materials used for the ball (wood or plastic) but the yomega one I have is plastic.
When I got it I just threw it around doing what I thought was right. And it turns out… It was! Someone posted a video on the tread I made and it had ‘beginner Kendama’ tricks… That I was trying! So really just do simple catches and progress over time. It’s a lot like the learning process of yoyoing, but instead of yoyos… It’s Kendama

I also forget to mention whats a good kendama for someone who wants to try it out/beginners.
I need a recommendation. :slight_smile:

I can’t say for sure, but I don’t think there’s that much of a variety compared to yoyos, any Kendama should do. just might want to start with a short string. It’s easier to control. AGAIN I’m no expert, just trying to help ya out.

1 Like

how much did that yomega kendama cost?

$11.99 + %6 tax

1 Like

Well I’ll post some videos that should give you a good idea:

This one explains some of the parts as well as some beginner tricks you can learn once you get a kendama.

This one shows you how to replace the string, which I’m sure will come up at some point once you get a kendama. But I must remind you that this will work for most kendamas except Kendama USA kens ( the piece of wood attached to the ball). This is because the Kendama USA kens are one solid piece and do not come apart. However most kendamas are actually 2 parts that are connected together and will come apart as seen in the video.

If you scroll down on this channel you will see a playlist called “Tips & Tricks [Insert Skill Level Here]” this is what you will use to learn all the tricks you wish to learn (although you don’t have to use this but it is a good place to start).

As for which kendama you should start with…If you want something cheap but known to be rather good I would recommend the Kendama USA Classic:

http://shop.yoyoexpert.com/product/949/Kendama-USA-Classic

You may think of this as the YYJ Classic of kendama it is good and only $18, but the down side is that the ball (which is called “tama” in Japanese, and is what most kendama players will refer it as) isn’t sticky which will make balance tricks a bit harder (however if you learn your tricks on these your skill will greatly improve, still it can be a bit frustrating at first), but as a beginner you really won’t have to worry about balance tricks too much yet, because you begin to those tricks once you get to advance, but I know some people like to skip ahead and learn the “cooler” tricks. So your ball on the Classic kendama will be slippery at first, but as you play more and more the ball should break in and become some what more sticky. Which means by the time you get to the advance tricks you should have a nice broken in tama, and so balance tricks will be a little bit easier. Oh and another thing, remember how I said before that Kendama USA kens are one solid piece and do not come apart, well forget that (well for this kendama) because this kendama is a simple one, just the basics, so it doesn’t come with that “system” like Kendama USA’s other models come with. Meaning that this kendama does come apart and you should be able to replace the string like in the video.

Although If you wish to spend a little bit more money in order to get a tama that is sticky and will actually get stickier the more you play it (some may refer the term “sticky” as “tacky” but it is all the same thing) and will thus make balance tricks easier from the start, I would recommend the Sweets
Atack:

This Kendama is $27 but it comes tacky right out of the box ( unlike the Kendama USA Classic which takes time to break in). And it actually gets more tackier the more you play it which should be great for learning on. This is good and all but the thing with tacky kendamas is that…it is sort of cheating. The real challenge is doing the trick without any kind of “assistance” but as you are a beginner  I suppose it is okay, but I would recommend that if you do go with the Atack (or any other tacky kendama) that at some point you get something that is not tacky, so that your kendama’ing involves more skill and less dependence on the tackiness of you tama.

Anyhow this post got a bit too wordy, if you have any questions, ask away, and I’ll answer as to the best of my knowledge. Thank you for taking an interest in kendama, and I bid you good luck in your kendama journey. Keep dama’ing. :smiley:

1 Like

I’d recommend an Oozora. The best part about it is it can advance with you. You can learn on it, and it is legal in competitions for when/if you get good