Love for the Mondial

So- even though I made another thread recently asking about comparisons between the Mondial and the SB-2, I just felt the need to make one more thread detailing the deep level of love and appreciation I’ve been developing for the Mondial.

I picked up a “new in box” Came-yo Mondial about a month ago when I decided to start yo-yo-ing again, and at first I felt I had wasted money. Now- that it has been broken in, I think it’s a masterpiece. The buttery smooth responsiveness of the metal starburst, the way you can essentially make it semi almost un-responsive by adjusting the AWESOME ratchet mechanism- man it’s all just really been growing on me.

I think this is a yo-yo that just doesn’t get quite as much love and appreciation as it should.

Especially given the time it was made. But I think even now it plays amazingly.

KEY To making it play smooth and amazing- had to take apart the whole thing becuase my friend broke the ratchet mechanism, so that gave me an opportunity to clean and oil the parts. Then - I stuck on a fat modern string instead of the thin cotton strings it came stock with.

Then- I replaced the original yellow rubber O-rings with tougher cream colored ones and stuck the old yellow ones into the sides of the body to get a few grams of extra weight And safe storage. This baby is amazing.

Just saying- i think the Mondial should really kind of have a special place in the “yo-yo hall of fame”.

It’s all about adjusting the gap and the bearing lubrication etc. but it’s freaking amazing once you find your spot.

They should never have stopped producing these things…

3 Likes

This is a real shot in the dark- but does anyone know how I might be able to find out where to obtain replacement parts, like ratchet mechanism, O-ring, all of it. I want to be able to have enough supplies to make this thing last me for at least a decade or two.

Anybody have any personal connnections with Harry Bair? Even though he sold the rights to Duncan I imagine he might have spare bits and pieces scattered in a box in the basement at least lol.

I’m just desperate to try and make this baby last becuase it’s so cool. Good job Harry… wish I knew how to speak German.

Here is my Mondial, slightly modded. Isn’t she pretty

4 Likes

Can we see some some pics of the inside? I’m interested in this ratchet system.

Thanks.

3 Likes

Totally! I’ll post some pics when I get home later. The ratchet system is beautiful. The way the two halves “click” when you twist them is just plain satisfying.

The only catch is that it is somewhat finnicky to put back together, and it’s also easy to break the ratchet if you hand it to a buddy and he starts twisting the two halves a little too vigorously lol (Speaking from experience here) fortunately I was able to fix it so it was no big deal. It is finicky though.

1 Like

Some mondial and moonstar love

5 Likes

Nice! Where did you get the O-rings from, and what kind of material are they made of? I ordered some white “Viton” polymer O rings recently that fit but they don’t have the same soft feel as the original yellow ones. I took off the yellows And stuck them in the sides as makeshift weights becuase they were getting too beat up.

Those are the originals they came with

4 Likes