Lots of 2A questions.

Instead of making a new thread and annoying others, I’ll just edit an existring thread that’s kinda related and still annoy others.

I finally got my 50/50 polyester/cotton type6 string on the mail and I’ve changed my string for the first time. Now my question is often I should change string. And what do I see and determine on the string when it’s time to change?
Also, how often should I lube my loopers?

I don’t want an answer that saying “it’s all about your preference” because I don’t know what to look for at all, let alone adjusting things for my so-called ‘preference’.

Sooo, how often?

[s]Yeah yeah, this is one of those threads again. And I know there are similar ones too but I don’t want to necro an old thread just to ask because this will be a bit different from the usual questions. Hear me out.

I’ve ran out of 50/50 poly/cotton [slick 6] string that I use for 2A, and I’m wondering which string will work best.
I know some people who use 100poly that plays just fine [I mean, it only melts if you have a wood axle]. I also know people who use Kitty String [and that’s what my friends in the Philippines recommended me almost unanimously]

I know that no matter which string type I use I’ll be able to play just fine, but I want to buy a pack of string solely for 2A use.

Jayyo, I need your help on this. Everyone else too.

Slick 6, YYE 100 poly, or Kitty String?[/s]

You’re gonna want string that’s a bit more responsive and changes tension easily as you’re gonna have to constantly maintain it. I recommend slick 6 for my own personal reason because I found it easier to do a bit of 2A than Poly. I’ve never tried Kitty.

Different players prefer different strings.

50/50 is usually the standard that people go for, but recently there have been quite a few players switching to 100% poly. Usually people tend to stay away from it due to the fact that poly can pretty much melt under the friction of 2A play. but it seems to not be an issue with many.

To play it safe, 50/50 type 6 seems to be the way to go.

Since I’m just starting out and getting the hang of 2A, should I just play it safe and go with 50/50 type 6?

If that’s the case, then I’ll just switch over 100% poly/Kitty String once I get pretty good at 2A

Copypasta from the now-edited OP

Insert Quote
Instead of making a new thread and annoying others, I’ll just edit an existring thread that’s kinda related and still annoy others.

I finally got my 50/50 polyester/cotton type6 string on the mail and I’ve changed my string for the first time. Now my question is often I should change string. And what do I see and determine on the string when it’s time to change?
Also, how often should I lube my loopers?

I don’t want an answer that saying “it’s all about your preference” because I don’t know what to look for at all, let alone adjusting things for my so-called ‘preference’.

Sooo, how often?

If I’m doing some serious 2a practice, I generally go through strings in an hour or two. When strings get old they really start to loop poorly for me. The more looping I’ve done, the better I’ve gotten at distinguishing that loss in performance.

I changed my 2A strings just like 1A, whenever I feel the string is dirty or kinky, it needs to be changed. One good advice I’ve got is to pull the new string before using it (after it has been attached to the yoyo). This way the response will be more consistent. When the response weaken, don’t readjust the yoyo setting, change the string instead.
As for lubing, I relube my loopers when they are starting to get snaggy. I’m not sure how to say this but loopers without lube will feel like they are going to sleep at the end of the string, but not because of the response. I think the best way to explain this is to get one of your looper’s bearing lubed and the other one cleaned. Use only one yoyo to test both bearing, you’ll notice the different for sure.
I’d recommend using thick lube in one side, and vaseline grease in the other side, but depending on your preference you may want to use only lube or only vaseline…

Thanks, Rizki. You’re the only handful of players learning and giving advice on 2A :] Ohh, pulling the string to keep tension also helps in 2A? Okay, gotta keep that in mind.
I used to change the gap setting before and I thought it’ll compensate by the string thin-ness.
I only have YYF thick lube with me, and I don’t know if I have any vaseline. I understand what you’re talking about though…the whole snagging thing. I might just clean my bearings right now and start fresh.

Worth noticing I’m using Shaqler Loop900s

I find that 50/50 works the best (I use type-8). They don’t last as long as polyester but I like their responsiveness more.

As for how often you should change string, you will find that older string will affect the play of the yo-yo in an adverse way. Don’t think of changing in terms of how much time or appearance but how the yo-yo responds to your inputs. The more playing you do, the more you will become sensitive to the changes in play of the yo-yo.

Sometimes older string that is too worn will make the yo-yo sleep at the end of loops and not respond accordingly (even after tension adjustments). Other times, the string will loose its elasticity and tend not to twist back into shape nicely even after removing tension (especially with right-handed inside loops).

When I practice, usually 2-handed looping, I’ll occasionally switch the strings from one yo-yo to the other. That way, the effect of tightening the string (left-handed inside loops) is balanced out. You’ll even see, after removing the tension from both strings, that the left-handed string appears thinner and becomes a little longer than the other.

In any case, if you have enough string, I recommend you change string before any of these situations arise. But again, that takes experience…and if you’re serious about learning 2A you’ll get a lot of that. ;D

tR.

Thanks for your input, tR! Appreciate it a lot! I’ll keep that in mind. I think that I’ll be able to tell eventually once I get better at loops. Though I notice it a little bit even now :smiley:

And since I’m just starting out, I decided to cut my string a bit shorter. Like from the tip of my finger to the tip of my shoulders. Pretty short >.< But I’ve noticed that I’ve been looping more consistenly and with control, after I fixed the gap accordingly to loop straight, of course. A lot of control and I like it :]. Looping got easier for me after making the string shorter

And to my next question, what’s your preferred string length? Is my string length good for learners like me? I’m looking for different options. I’m cool with experimenting and finding my sweet spot :smiley:

Speaking of 2A, I believe that we should have an updated 2A guide. While Shawn Fumo’s guide is more than good, it’s outdated and almost none of the newer players [like me] will be able to relate to it. Anything from the basics, modding, and whatnot. There aren’t much compiled 2A guides anymore and almost all of them disappeared because of expried websites and such.
I’m not saying this in a selfish manner, but we also should help future 2A players who want to pick up the style. The fragmented and super separate 2A threads aren’t doing any justice.

In terms of string length, that is a preference call. I usually measure the string from where my neck and shoulder meet to the tip of my thumb when my arm is extended. I never go longer than that but I would go a little shorter.

In any case, string length will definitely affect your play. Looping is very much about momentum. If the string is too long, it can make it difficult to keep momentum as the yo-yo looses steam at the end of the loop. When that happens, the yo-yo can tilt as it approaches the end of the loop and make it very hard (although not impossible) to keep the orientation of the yo-yo optimal. That’s when you throw that yo-yo out again and it goes all over the place. If the string is too short, you increase the speed of your loops. That can be difficult to control as well. Again, with experience, you will find the “sweet-spot” for string length.

The more reps and time you put into 2A the more the muscle memory and feel you will have for the skill (like everything else). Good luck! :slight_smile:

tR.

Hmm, I see I see. Then, I must prefer short string that goes from the tip of my middle finger up to my shoulder blade. But no matter, I like the fact that I’ve been looping more consistently and this is good for learning. When my string was longer, I noticed that the yoyo might sleep/stagger for a bit before responding to my tug to go back.

I’ve been putting a lot of more time in 2A more than I ever did, and my 2A jouney just starts now :]

Thanks, tR