Looking for my first serious throw.

I’ve been throwing for a little bit and I want to get my first serious yoyo. I’m mostly into 1A, and would love any suggestions you may have.

Ok cool I could help if you tell me how many yoyos you have?and are any of them metal? Also do you know how to bind?

I have a serious yoyo…despite my amazing sense of humour it never laughs :frowning: :(…ona more"serious" note…you can perform any trick in the whole wide world with enough practice*…you dont need a good looking and expensive yoyo to land em tricks…you need da skillz…

*above advice only applies when you are living in a world where only 1A tricks exist… cant loop with 1A yoyo

I started with a FAST 201, but have moved to a Dark Magic II. I don’t have an all metal yoyo, but I do know how to bind.

Really, 99% of modern yoyos will fit the bill in terms of performance and play.

Rather than have people posting up tonnes of suggestions, which will make picking one even more difficult (we’ve all been there, the choice is overwhelming), my suggestion would be the following:

1. Look around at what YYE currently has in stock.
  2. Pick out a shortlist of the ones you like the look of the most.
  3. Report back on these forums with your shortlist and await people’s opinions.

Alternatively, we can all just give you suggestions, but it would be easier for us if you could fill out the following questionnaire:

This should give us a better framework to work from, so that we can hopefully direct you towards your perfect match. :smiley:

I get that. It’s not the yo, it’s the throw. That being said, there’s a reason they make high end items. You can hit a target with a rifle from wal-mart, but a high end one is more accurate.

Gambit,
Great name by the way.
1.) Right now my Dark Magic II is my favorite.
2.) I don’t know enough about shape to know what I like.
3.) As for weight, I like a yoyo a little on the heavy side, with the weight on the edge for stability.
4.) Somewhere around $150 or so. Give or take.
5.) I really don’t have a list, but the Seven Summits looks fascinating.
6.) As for brands, I’m no picky. I have been looking at One Drop and CLYW.
7.) I am learning grinds, so it would be a plus.
8.) Finger spins are not essential.

Thanks for your help. Since you’re in London, I hope you’re not a Spurs supporter. I’m a Gooner, tried and true.

And…now no-one is going to help you :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously though, unless you really have an urge to drop $150 on a single yo-yo I’d buy a variety of things to see what you like. There are a TON of good yo-yos in the $50 range now, and the performance jump from $50 to $150 isn’t going to make you a better player overnight. Look at Gentry Stein, he just won Nationals with a $15 Replay Pro fresh out of the box.

[quote=“Chimera,post:8,topic:77290”]
And…now no-one is going to help you :stuck_out_tongue:

Sigh. I guess I’ll have to find a Gooner yoyo forum. You know, I actually feel a little bad for Spurs fans. It must be hard looking up at us in the table… FOR THE LAST 20 YEARS!! :joy:

MidnightExpress,

Since you do not have an all-metal yoyo, I suggest starting with a budget metal. My recommendations are the Shutter and Horizon, but the TooHot is great as well.

There’s a joke in here about picking the 4th best yoyo but it’s before coffee for me and I can’t quite figure it out :slight_smile:

Actually Simon “Sottle” Welch who’s one of the main yoyo organizers in the UK is a big Gooner so you have an in with him.

For your question, the Seven Summits is actually fairly light so if you’re looking for something heavier that might not be ideal. I’d consider doing something like a $50 YYF (I like the new Genesis but any of the others are good too) and a Benchmark so you get a couple of options and are still under your budget.

Going to give you the very best advice you can get:

Whatever yoyo you do decide to buy, just buy one, it can be a 15-30 dollars magic yoyo (best cost/value I’ve seen), or a 200 dollars japanese bimetal, but stick with it for at least a couple of months before you buy something else. Having too many yoyos in the beginning will only distract you from the actual practicing/learning.

1 Like

I went from Shutter (first throw) to Summit (second throw) and then finally to 7 Summits (third throw). If I could go back and change it, I wouldn’t.

You mentioned a 7 Summits. I am a HUGE fan of the Summit but totally smitten with the 7 Summits.

The downfall of the 7 Summits is availability. Finding them i stock may pose a challenge since each batch was limited to 50 each. That being said, IF you find one and buy it, you gonna love it.

I found the reg summit to be a powerhouse but the 6061 body is just so soft and susceptible to gaining damage that the 7 summits would shluff off and never show. But durability aside (since the 7 Summits is 7075 which im in LOVE with) there is something very special hiding inside the Summit.

check out my review contrasting the two here-
http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,86786.0.html

I would echo the Shutter or Horizon for budget. You could get both for less of the cost of a Summit and both perform beautifully.

There is nothing my summit can do that the shutter cant do, but the feeling I get from the summit is far superior, however i couldnt tell you exactly why or how.

Also take into consideration the Side Effect system. If you strip the shutter, you get to buy a new one. If you strip out a Side Effect your only out 12 bucks or so. Plus you can change the weight and color which is worth time to think about.

If you cant find a 7 Summits get a regular Summit and put some spikes on it. You get the heft, the flow, and power that just never lets up. you wont be disappointed by a LONG shot. :slight_smile:

if you have the money to spend you should by 2 or 3 throws of different dimensions and see what one you like the best. one drop has set of throws called the bench mark series that have a variety of shapes and sizes.

Got it, recommendations I would make are

1. 86400
  2. New Genesis
  3. Joyride
  4. Arsenal

I’m digging the benchmark, but which shape? Also, what do y’all think of the cyborg 2.0?

If you want to spend around $150 ( its a little bit more than that) i would get 4 one drop 2014 benchmark throws, one of each shape. YYE is doing a limited time offer where if you buy 3 shapes you get the 4th free. If i had the money i would be all over that deal.

Ok, if you could have just one shape, what would you go with?

My favorite Is V shape, but most people seem to like H.

my two favorite shapes are W and O, but again you can get all four for $174. If you only bought 2 you would be spending $116, for $58 more you get 2 more throws. I know its a little more than what you said you would like to spend but still its a good deal and you might want to think about it, or not, maybe if you have your mindset on what you want then go for it.