Looking for help with first new throw in 20 years

Well, after spending even more hours reading and shopping here, I decided to just pull the trigger. The MaxBet was screaming too loud at me, and so I just bought it. Figured I loved my SB-2, how wrong could I go. Got it in the black with gold, 100 pack of kitty string, a Terrapin ceramic bearing and some IrPads. Should be a fun new adventure. Thanks for all the help.

You made the right decision. Buying the yoyo that appeals to you the most and the one you want the most is always the best option, as you’ll love it so much more than buying one that was suggested whilst having others still in the back of your mind.

Also, you bought a high-end Japanese yoyo… I don’t think anyone can argue with that decision. Enjoy! =D

1 Like

I believe one of the big reasons for having titanium is that since it is very strong and light the designer can place the weight exactly where they want. If they want all the weight on the rims, they can do that by making extremely thin walls which is something you can’t always do with aluminum.

Lots of YYR on the market for cheap prices because of two factors:

1. YYR “Lucky Boxes” - put lots of YYR in peoples hands. Because the throws received were random; many such as myself are selling their doubles for reasonable prices.

2. YYR put many of their older models on sale in preparation for the release of new model lines.

In either case you would do well to grab these deals while you can. These are not yo-yo’s that are normally found on BST. Once they find a home; the tend to stay there.

I say go with the onedrop Code 2. Never used one, but it’s pretty heavy, spins forever, and stable.

OK, I have the sickness. In addition to the MaxBet, I am pulling the trigger on the whole lot from pertyo in the B/S/T. E=mc2, DreadnoughtG, ReClash, Triplet, Attune, CLASHcube. He accepted my offer for all 6 this morning. So I am over budget, and getting 7 throws.

I thought it might be fun to have some spares for friends, and to sample some of the others, especitally since 2 of the yoyos I was very attracted to were in his list.

So, one question: can I get bearings for any of these to make them responsive for my less coordinated and dedicated friends? I think having one responsive set up might be a gateway to the hobby for people who I hang out with. Any thoughts on this?

Just get an extra bearing and put some lube in it. Lube makes bearings responsive. The more you use the more responsive it will become.

You can then clean the bearing later if you choose to make it unresponsive again. Also playing the bearing will cause it to become unresponsive over time.

[quote=“RobK,post:26,topic:55207”]
Some yoyos can be made responsive using a slim bearing. YoYoJam make a number of yoyos designed to work like this. I doubt a slim bearing would work in a yoyorecreation as there’s barely any room for the axle as is. You could probably add thick lube to the bearing to make it responsive or put an extra knot or two around the axle.

It kind of funny imagining someone giving out YYR of beginners to try. They’re really designed for advanced players. You’d be better off picking up a cheap plastic for them to try. It’ll stop your nice YYRs getting banged up and it also hurts less having plastic hit your (friends’) knuckles than metal.

I wish I could just find my SB-2. That would be ideal. I guess I’ll just get a $20 plastic for the guests.

It’s terminal. And trust me, it gets worse. :stuck_out_tongue:

You’re right. This is so addictive. Up to 16 throws, getting close to the $1k mark. Dying for a few Titaniums, some Oxygenes, an Anglam CC. Argh. I will be one of those guys with 200-300 throws in a couple years. I’m not a collector by nature, but this may be my first collector hobby.

So, anyway, I started playing with the new YYRs that came in a couple days ago. Loved the DreadnoughtG right away. Spent the day with it yesterday. Today, strung and threw some of the others. The big surprise for me was how much I love the Attune. This is my favorite so far. Easiest to get a good throw, easiest to get a good bind. Stable, good spin, comfortable. Based on descriptions and appearances, this is not what I would have guessed to be my favorite. This is why it is good to try a bunch of things. The MaxBet is at best my 3rd favorite right now. Maybe 4th, as I also really love the ClashCube. Another surprise. The Dreadnought, Triplet and E=MC2 were the ones I was most interested in my 6 pack from pertyo, but theAttune and ClashCUBE are leading the way at this point.

Cant wait for some TI and the mighty flea…

I knew you would love the Dreadnought! I even recommended it! I’m glad to see that you like all your new throws! the Clashcube is a great little throw, isn’t it? As for the Mighty Flea, new run of Mighty Fleas are coming, so you might want to wait for those.

Yeah, too late on the mighty flea. I bought one on BST, and then saw they were coming. Probably over spent, but getting that plus a bunch of flea accessories for $90 shipped isn’t the end of the world. Price of being new, and overwhelmed with all the new info and the addiction.

You sure were right about the Dreadnought. Your recommendation and description of the DreadnoughtG is part of what pushed me over the edge in buying the lot from pertyo. So thanks for that. ;D

YYR is a real winner to me so far. I really like what they do. The stuff looks stunning, and plays great. I may need to get them all. The Z-ON is one that really looked great to me, and perhaps I should look more closely at it…

Oh right, I don’t need another $500 in yoyos until I get passed split the atom! That will be my reward. No new throws (except the new NSCO Ti throw) until I can do split the atom. 18 is my limit.

Proof that I’m not trolling:

http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,64308.0.html

Hold the heck up… You got 70 yo-yo’s in 1 month and 10 days? You my friend are my hero in a whole new way. Do what you want!!! ^^^^ He started it ><

Wait wait , I jumped to conclusions. I counted 38 … still very very impressive.

Lol, this sounds just like me a couple years ago. Slowed down a lot since then. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve mostly slowed down already.

I have this thing I do. And I just noticed the pattern. Every year, this time of year, I pick up a new hobby, or resuscitate an old one, and then spend $3k-10k on it.

My day job is supper laid back for 9 months of the year, and then for 3 months in the late spring/early summer, it gets stressful. By the end of the stress period, right as I’m hitting my breaking point, I go hobby crazy to try to salvage my mental health. More fun than a shrink’s office, but I need to find a better way. Fortunately, I think I’m getting promoted out of the stressful position this month, so maybe I can spend like a reasonable human being again.

Anyway, I’ve promised myself no new yoyos except the VSEPR and the Pride until I complete the Advanced Part 1 section of this site. That should slow me down at least a little.