Looking for a Bi Metal throw under $120. Looking at Nightmare, IYoyo steel,Rave

I’m considering buying a Bi Metal. I am leaning towards the Nightmare, but have not seen much on what people think of it. I am looking for something that can do a little bit of everything on. Just wanted a little help with knowing the Pros and Cons. Don’t have a preference on shape.
Thanks Guys!

The YYF Nightmare is an excellent yoyo for the price! I own a black one, and it is absolutely nice. The Nightmare plays heavy, but very maneuverable and agile through play. Great choice for competition and recreational play :wink:

1 Like

Nightmare is nice. If you like fast, nightmare will do it. Some of the original Nightmares had axle problems but had heard they fixed it in their newer releases.

Rave is also powerful and stable. It is also more comfy to hold.

… If only only the mystery boxes were still available, that was the best deal ever for a bimetal yoyo.

1 Like

Well after hearing about what happened with the axles on the nightmare, i kinda feel like a should get the IYY Steel or Rave, but i wonder if the IYY is too heavy? Does it play like a lighter throw? Also is the rave a good stable choice? Ugh cant decide… so hard!!!
Thanks for the help!

I have an early nightmare and no probs for me with it even after taking it apart a few times to change bearings. If you death grip or cross thread it like any other yoyo, it is going to have problems. Maybe slightly more problems than longer axle’d throws but still works fine for me.

No problems with my axle (yet) but I’m always careful when tightening it as I feel like if I snugged it like any other throws, it will give. I did have 1 situation when my Nightmare kissed the tile floor at work and noticed one of the rings had a slight gap from the aluminum. Had a little vibe. I pushed the ring back into place and seemed to work. But something to be careful of. One of my friends had a problem twice over with his Nightmare where the axle threads stripped out on him.

…now if you’re willing to spend closer to the $120 mark, you should get a Pulsefire. It’s a really nice throw, similar shape to the Nightmare (not getting into a debate of if Axis or YYF copied each other’s designs as I own both anyway) but has a slightly more solid feel - as it’s 7075. Only downside to the Pulsefire is that because of its material, some of the ano will start to fade a bit. Mine still looks pretty good though after playing for several months.

Don’t get blinded by sheer numbers, although obviously it is difficult if you make online purchases.

From my personal view (Ben, feel free to chime in!) I feel like the Nightmare does feel heavier than a Steel, although it is 3 grams lighter. Stainless Steel weight rings can truly make a big difference to the play of a yo-yo. For example, I would never have believed the Draupnir is actually that light when I played it.

So if the only thing that’s keeping you away from the Steel is your fear of it being too heavy, you’ll probably be fine.

From what I heard / played of these throws you mentioned though, you will be getting a great yo-yo from all of these choices. :slight_smile:

You picked 3 very differently shaped yo-yos - H-shaped Steel, V-shaped Nightmare, and O-shaped Rave - I would just pick whichever you feel you’ll be more comfortable with. They’re all great yo-yos and you won’t be disappointed with any of them.

I have to disagree with Dave on the Nightmare feel however. I own a Nightmare and a Steel and play them both regularly. The Nightmare feels lighter in my opinion, but I wouldn’t say the Steel feels too heavy at all. Neither of them offer that light Draupnir type feeling though if thats what you’re looking for when you say “lighter throw.”

Thanks for all the help guys, i just saw the Neptune recently does anyone have any exp with that?

You need to look at the Zeekio Volt. It’s absolutely amazing and for the price point you cannot find a better bimetal yoyo. I was doubtful and then…just WOW.

yoyoempire rainfly is only 65