Location of future WYYC & WYYC in czech republic? (merged)

I’ll leave this here. Mind you that back in the day there were about 2-3 world contests happening: Greg’s Worlds, Proyo/Playmaxx Championships, and Yomega. Correct me if I’m wrong in this one, but I remember hearing [and seeing past contest videos] those three existing at about the same time.

If it happened in the past, why can’t it now? I don’t have the finances to fly to Orlando…let alone Prague but I believe that competition is good.

Just like Johnhubero’s wrestling example, it all makes sense.

By the way, what’s the currect US dollar/Czech koruna exchange rate right now?
And how much are the stuff in there? I was reading this thread [http://www.yoyoz.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=9779.0] and one of them said that registration fee for ONE Worlds division will probably cover 4 nights in Prague. That says something.

A cheapass as I am, I’m going for whichever I get my bang for my buck.

Grabbed from the same yoyoz tread mentioned above and sources is from a Facebook group for heads and members of National associations.

I’ll leave this here.

No worries, I’ve been bitching at Greg for three years that he doesn’t publicize the prize money nearly enough so it’s easy to see why you wouldn’t have the figures.

www.xe.com is the best place to look for exchange rates.

I have had a bit of time to digest this as well as read some of the comments on this topic from around the community.

I think that I have fallen prey to the “tradition” argument in a conflict that has nothing to do with tradition. Tradition is that WWYC has been put on by the same person for many years. Tradition would say that the promoters have run this contest through the “lean” years and deserve to keep their franchise as the industry expands and the money rewards expand as well. Tradition would say that the promoter of the Orlando event is under no obligation to “negotiate” with anyone about his/her event.
But, as I said, it does not appear that this is about tradition. Those that are against holding this contest in Orlando bring up some valid as well as not-so-valid points when they cite reasons to move the contest. What stands out to me when I look at those issues that I see as valid – is that they inevitably revolve around exposing the contest and yoyoing to more people in more places and in more innovative ways.

While these are all laudable goals that I fully support – these are not goals that will directly benefit the organizer of this yearly event in Orlando. Indeed, these issues will more likely detract from the relative importance of this event meaning less revenue for the current organizer. Expecting that organizer to be motivated to serve the potentially conflicting interests of manufacturers is not realistic.
If YYJ, YYF, Duncan and all the other manufacturers want this event to expand – then I believe it is up to those best served by this to do so. To this end it seems logical to me that these same manufacturers should be the ones to create a “Yoyo Sanctioning” organization. The purpose of this organization is twofold.

For yoyo-competitors, this organization will:

1. Sanction the yoyo contests in each country that lead to qualification for Worlds.
  2. Enforce uniform rules/scoring at all sanctioned events in all countries.
  3. Ensure fair/objective judging for sanctioned contests.
  4. Certify contest results.
  5. Certify national qualifiers.
  6. Award and collect sponsorship fees for sanctioned events.
  7. Serve as “Official” contact and rules/enforcement body for yoyo-ers of a particular country.
  8. Ensure that players/spectators have positive yoyo experience at all events.

For Members (manufacturers, contest organizers, contest sponsors(YYE, YoyoRewind…)) of this Sanctioning Body:

1. Pay Dues to the organization based on market-share or some formula agreeable to the industry.
  2. Pay/defray costs for the organizing (bid/award/contract) and monitoring of sanctioned yoyo events in each country.
  3. Their dues will also help national organizations promote yo-yoing in their respective countries.
  4. Participation in this body will implicitly acknowledge all legally-binding patents held by other sanctioning body members until such time that they are overturned by the respective-governing courts.
  5. Membership in this body will shield all members of this sanctioning body from lawsuits related to participation in sanctioned competition and specifically sanctioned events.
  6.     Members can advertise/sell at sanctioned events at reduced rates/free.

Through this new organization the “World Yoyo Championship” could then be something bid-for on a yearly basis. The event in Orlando could bid for the title just like anyone else. This would open up new marketing opportunities, however, that would transcend a single-contest. Linking the World Yoyo Championships with something like the X-Games seems particularly interesting. But that is for the dreamers.

I seriously can’t go to the Rosen Plaza again because that carpet in the ballroom gives me a headache it is SO horrible!

I was browsing the 44Clash-Russia website and you know what was awesome about that? I learned that foreign participants [anyone outside of Russia] get to stay at a hostel for free and admission to the 44Clash event itself is free.

FREE.

So they only have to worry about your visa, plane ticket, and personal expenses. Which I’m sure food [and drinks] there is a lot cheaper than overpriced Rosen pizza. I’m pretty sure Russian food is bomb, too.
Even that, 44Clash-Russia staff will help you out to make sure everything is good with visa and such.

Just to put something in perspective. If Kohta and the Russian Yoyo Association can cater that much to foreign players, why can’t a world contest, supposedly the highest contest of all, do the same?

1 Like

All I ask is that they plan these two worlds for different dates.
Back when we used to have the proyo worlds, and the yomega worlds, yes they were essentially competing world contest, but they never had the two on the same days, as they understood that this could cause less to go to one or other.
Orlando had the date before the Prague contest did.
If the prague contest keeps their date the same, they get no support or respect from me, as this just shows an obnoxious and ellitist attitude, one that I personally do not want to see in the community as such.

J

3 Likes

History is full of people doing what they believe is for the good their cause. Some are considered traitors, some are considered heros. All I ask is people keep their mind open and save the judging for when they know more than the speculation that is currently what most people are forming opinions based on.

2 Likes

I am a student of revolution.

The problem I have with this analogy is that when rebels take up arms, or otherwise oppose the status quo, observers generally understand the goals and motivations of the rebels.

Your goals and motivations are far less clear and objective. Clarity might lend credence to your claims. Until then, ambiguity does not help me recognize your noble ambitions.

To the point: You are simply speaking in abstractions. Until you are specific; your motives are suspect.

1 Like

I have stopped caring. Yoyo is yoyo, and no matter what happens in the contest realm, i will still love and enjoy it. i just hope that we can all make nice and everyone can understand that we are talking about competing with toys, spinning, speeding, toys. I love them, and i know everyone else here does to.

:slight_smile:

let that end this thread please :wink:

My only hope is that the two sides can come to some sort of an agreement where we can have one unified yoyo world organization of sorts. This competition is not good for the community.

1 Like