lighter fluid vs Mineral spirits vs denatured alcohol

I bought 2 gals of mineral spirits at walmart for $1 each clearance… dunno why they were cleared, not like it’s going to expire…

all you need is something that dissolves oil…
i think you can just go to dollartree and get a bottle of fuel injector cleaner, which is mostly kerosene, and use that.

the plastic nylon 66 cages are resistant to petroleum solvents.

I posted in another section just a bit ago about how acetone, which I had used almost exclusively on my duncans with no problems, all but froze up my yyf centertrac. When I cleaned the centertrac with lighter fluid it was good to go so I believe you on ur kk issue. I know for a fact nothing was in it. It was almost new, took the sheilds off, dropped in the acetone, shook, spun, let it evaporate and then played it. It was super responsive and spin times were drastically decreased. So I tried again with the same results. So I cleaned with lighter fluid and it was fine. Blew my mind.

So… I will probably stick with lighter fluid. Also I haven’t noticed a difference in using zippo type fluid or grill fluid. Seems the same to me.

The problem with acetone is that it evaporates too fast. A fast evaporating solvent tends to leave a residue in the bearings that tend to clog them.

Ref: http://www.dif-e-yo.com/Tech%20Tips.htm

You never get a bum steer from Frank. :wink:

Frank Difeo told me (yes via email) that using denatured alcohol is fine as long as you dry the bearing after.

1. C4 and long fuse.
    If not available, MEK.

2. Not inside. Not near the freezer in the garage (sparks). And with vapor respirator. If that sounds too involved, refer back to #1