Let's talk Mechanical Keyboards

I use a Happy Hacking Keboard Lite on my Linux computer and a Logitech MX Mechanical Mini on my Win 11 desktop. The MX is very nice. I would have one on my RPi 4 but I just can’t get it to hook up. :frowning:

2 Likes

took home my work keyboard and mic’d it up for a quick typing sounds video as well.

1 Like

Yeah I really love the dampened sound profile you get with well lubed switches. I’m also a fan of putting relatively quiet switches into louder boards and vice versa, just to mix things up, so right now I have some lubed gateron milky yellows in my portal65 and some lubed techno violet long pole linears in my Keychron q2. Things tend to balance out that way :grinning:

2 Likes

i’ve yet to try some long pole switches, ive only recently seen that as being a “thing”, can you explain what that does? sounds like it will just reduce travel, and change actuation point relative to bottom out
because the bottom would move, but contact would not, correct?

2 Likes

The keeb thread is poppin! Glad to see that! Here is my Switch Conture Alice with milky yellows and Drop MT3 keycaps.

2 Likes

Yeah long poles feel more clacky and solid, and the main sound from the switch comes from the bottom out sound rather than the return clack. I wouldn’t say the reduced travel is that noticeable.

1 Like

I got into keyboards a few years ago. I tried a few layouts, built a couple of them, then found my endgame and quit while I was ahead. Relatively speaking. It’s a Corne with Kailh box navy blues. I haven’t had the need or desire for anything else ever since I built this. I also can’t type on a staggered layout anymore. It’s embarrassing trying to use other people’s keyboards.

4 Likes

Can I ask what all of you do with these boards? I know gaming is a big reason for them, but all I use mine for is work feels.

1 Like

mostly work, also playing wow (the oen game i play lol).

the keyboard is one of the primary means of interfacing with the computer, i very much enjoy having an optimized tool built to my specifications for interfacing with my computer lol

1 Like

Yep, same as Brandon, I work in cybersecurity and I type a lot, need a tool that performs at 100% and is also comfortable and satisfying to use so I don’t get burned out. It also helps me be more excited about walking up to my desk every morning. Plus I like to collect and see how they are all different. Same with yo-yos or retro handhelds. It’s an expensive mental issue, being addicted to collecting lol

3 Likes

I use mine for work.

1 Like

It sure is. There’s about 600lbs of vinyl in my living room that attests to that.

1 Like

I’m a software engineer so I use mine mostly for work. I keep a Preonic on my desk at work and rotate around the rest of my collection on my desk at home.

I got into mechanical keyboards on an IBM Model M at my first job as a librarian’s assistant in middle school. I got back into it as an adult to get a tougher board after breaking 3 Microsoft Ergonomic 4000s in as many years.

1 Like

I’d love a layout like this, but how do you live without the arrow keys? I’d need those and a number pad and that would be my idea of perfect.

1 Like

Layers. On this board I’d probably use Lower plus hjkl

1 Like

layers, it becomes second nature really quick. i used a 40% ortho (planck) for months before i finally realized i dont care for ortho linear. i didnt miss the numbers, but the grid got old lol

1 Like

FWIW I chose Preonic over Planck almost entirely because I could dedicate real estate to arrows in the main layer.

2 Likes

I totally ignored your comment about numpad. Orthos are great for sneaking a numpad into a layer as well (because numpads typically are ortholinear). Unfortunately the best place for it is right where I’d place my arrows, so it’d have to be on another layer.

If I had a job that required significant data entry, I would choose a full sized layout, or possibly 1800.

Thanks. I could probably live with using two layers (one for numbers, one for arrows). I really like the one @ToastedOats is using, but I’m having trouble finding that particular board/kit anywhere. Is it still available?

I hold my thumb down and then use JKL and I for up. so it’s like regular arrow keys.

Looks like the white board that you assemble yourself is still in stock. This is the site I bought from.

This is the keymap I’ve been using, if anyone is interested:

3 Likes