Let’s Talk Tom Kuhn SB-2

My guess, based on what I’ve seen already but has yet to be described, is that it’s simply a 2024 SB-2 with a new optional spacer kit. Think Duncan’s MOD Spacers kit from 2011 (although at that time the spacers were patent pending). I suspect the spacer kit will be more along the lines of the proto design found on the TK RDX from 2016.

We’ll see.

2 Likes

I’m also a fan of the SB2.2 set up of cotton string and turbo discs. The feel of the response is “close enough” to the fixed wooden axle of the Silver Bullet, but in my experience it’s more consistent.

3 Likes

This was posted prior to the SBX announcement

and @edhaponik been playing a Gold SBX Proto

7 Likes

That would be really neat. Thank m excited for more info on the sbx that sounds like a great time to me

1 Like

I’ve seen this type of device before. I asked @Skon if he would recess a first run Mg and he told me that @taka sold these things and that I should use them instead.

1 Like

I plan to print a set of spacers for my xt now I’m thinking I could do the same for my al2000 and just find the right length set screw.

3 Likes

If this is the case, it is a little disappointing. I mean how many sb2 halves are there left to continue without any new development, and if there is ongoing production of SB2 halves without any updates to the design or machining… that’s a whole 'nother issue.

2 Likes

You use to be able to buy them al Wally World

2 Likes

Really miss the SB-2 I had. My dad bought it for me around 1998 when the Cold Fusion came out (he got both of them for me as a present) I stupidly sold / traded them off years later (around 2006) on the forums. It was such a great and fun yoyo, it was my first high-end metal at the time too. I think I still have a spare set of weight rings and bearing in my parts case haha!

They are both yoyos I really regret letting go of especially because he passed last year it would have been nice to still have it for sentimental reasons. You never think about those things though, until it’s too late.

I do still have pictures of it though!

DSCN0964

DSCN0963

DSCN0961

10 Likes

If we’re going to talk about the SB-2, we should discuss the other Tom Kuhn Yo-yos that are directly related to the SB-2. The other yo-yos in this “cat”-egory include the Tom Cat, the Fat Cat, and the Cool Cat. These three models took the adjustable gap advancements of the SB-2 and combined them with different shapes to provide players with more butterfly-like options.

The Tom Cat was the first butterfly shaped aluminum yo-yo from Tom Kuhn. It was released in 2002 after a three-year gap in new models from the company. The shape of the Tom Cat is a traditional butterfly shape with a flared gap that helps players land the yo-yo on the string. Aside from the shape of the yo-yo the other noticeable difference between the Cat line and the Silver Bullet line is the center hub. All the cat models feature a stepped center hub rather than the bullet shaped hub that gave the Silver Bullet line its name.

The Fat Cat is another variation on the butterfly shape released eight years later in 2010 by Tom Kuhn Yo-yos. This model features a less tapered, more angular shape. The halves look like slightly tapered hockey pucks with the outer rim being wider than the inner rim near the gap.

The final original Cat model from Tom Kuhn is the Cool Cat and I don’t think it ever got past the prototype stage. I’ve seen a photo of the one Tom Kuhn owns, but the photo doesn’t show the shape of the gap. You can see this yo-yo on the Museum of Yo-Yo History here.

Many years later, in 2017, Tom Kuhn Yo-yos released the Black Cat model. This model has an identical shape to the Tom Cat but a unique finish. The Black Cat model has a bead-blasted finish that gives it a smooth feel unique to other aluminum bearing yo-yos from Tom Kuhn. In addition to the unique finish, this yo-yo came in a charcoal colored anodization with a fancy laser etched rim. The Black Cat was limited to 150 units.

9 Likes

I never got my hands on those but boy do I still want them.

The Tom Cat and Fat Cat are still available on TomKuhn.com. The Fat Cat is my personal favorite adjustable-gap, metal yo-yo from Tom Kuhn. I’m hoping that the SBX is available in a manner that I can put the spacer in a Fat Cat and give it a go.

3 Likes

Oh I know where to get one. I just can’t justify the cost with so many other metals needing my attention. I’ve owned several sb’s over the years. Heck it was my first “high end” throw. There used to be a guy here in town who owned an excellent toy store and they sold yo-yos. This guy I think his name was Gene had a contest and they came to Grass Valley. In his store they had a brand new Silver Bullet 2. I took my kids to get strings and I asked the guy which yo-yo was the best and he pointed at the sb2. That one he said, it’s one hundred dollars. And I instantly thought who in there right mind would ever buy such a thing. So I think I’ve had six or seven over the years and Did start with the Silver Bullet and when I upgraded I got rid of my fixed Tom Kuhn stuff. My spare axles went to Steve, the throw went to England and I kept the holster. Man good times.

3 Likes

Looks like these will be available 2/1/2024

Specifications
Weight: 55g
Diameter: 2.25″
Body Shape: Modified
Body Material: Aircraft Aluminum
Adjustable String Gap
Turbo Disc Response System
Ball Bearing Axle
Gap Width: Adjustable
Material: Specialty Aircraft Aluminum
Color: Gold anodized

7 Likes

Awesome I’ve been wanting to see the guts of the sbx since I saw it on Ed’s insta. Im excited

2 Likes

I know an SB-2 when I see one. Looks like the Duncan mod kit in the middle. No way José

2 Likes

It does look like it’s using SB2 halves (except for that third half in the picture? What am I looking at, there?)

Hopefully the mod spacers and axle will be sold on their own at some point. TK has been very good about selling accessories and replacement parts.

2 Likes

I don’t disagree but I’m also just happy TK is still pumping out SB2s in general.

4 Likes

They are produced in limited edition of 500 pieces. MSRP $129.95

1. Assembled with adjusting screws – adjusted for narrow string gap, this setting allows looping tricks
  2. Responsive Play: The SB2 allows for amazing yet responsive play by adjusting screws to a wider string gap.
  3. Unresponsive Play: Remove the small axle shaft, small bearing, turbo discs and adjusting screws, re-assemble with longer metal axle, conversion spacers, silicone Turbo Discs, C bearing. This set-up is for unresponsive play.
5 Likes

The spacers can’t sit ontop of the turbo disks? That’s a bit of a pain

2 Likes