Let’s talk craft beer (for those legally able to drink)

Gimme like 10 months

2 Likes

And this one is good: https://www.castledangerbrewery.com/

1 Like

I have recently just finished a six month abstinence from drinking alcohol. Tomorrow evening I am having my first beer of 2019 and I CAN NOT WAIT!!!

3 Likes

There’s one local brand I absolutely love

They have very fruity, fresh beers. I’m usually a stout kinda guy but they do great beers.
Love the names.

2 Likes

Vocation Love & Hate New England IPA. Yuuum!

AZ has some great beer. 1912 Brewing (Naughty Naranja Sour) and Borderlands (Citrana Sour, Noche Dulce Porter) are my two favorites here in Tucson. Dillinger Brewing in Tucson also makes Mango Nada, which is a mango sour brewed with Tajin. Tastes like summer in SOAZ.

Goldwater up in some part of Phoenix (Chandler, Tempe, Gilbert, Phoenix, they’re all Phoenix to me) does some amazing things, most notably the Hop Chowda they had this spring and P-40 they released and sold out of within a week.

Non-local-for-me favorites include:
Belching Beaver - Tastes Like Space
Stone - Imperial Russian Stout
Santa Fe Brewing - Java Stout (@HVizier if you want something to go with breakfast for dinner, this is it. I throw an espresso shot in it when I’m feeling squirrelly.)
Weihensteffaner(sp?) - Dunkelweisse
SanTan - Juicy Jack (pretty easy to come by, kinda cheap, real tasty)

Loving the porter/stout love! Most of my buds are into IPAs so nice to see some fellow darker beer lovers.

I live in NYC and we have a bunch of independent breweries. Brooklyn Brewery, Bronx Brewery, Gun Hill Brewery are some of our faves. We’re also pretty spoiled with a fair bit of craft beer regularly in stock in the local supermarkets with a great selection if I’m willing to drive like 10 mins north of me.

Just discovered barrel-aged ale this Monday and I’m kinda in love.

1 Like

Seems super strange that we don’t have any PNW representation on this thread given this area’s long (and early) history of craft brewing and hop production.

You can’t throw a rock without hitting a craft brewery around here. I literally have 3 of them within a 5 block radius of my house.

That reminds me I’ve not had any Innis & Gunn in ages, they have their brews in pretty much every supermarket over here, I seem to recall they changed their process or something because they’re not as good as they used to be.

Yesterday I had this. Cloudwater are a world class craft brewery from Manchester, I have had loads of their beers and they have all been really good. Here is their Double Dry Hopped Pale

1 Like

IPAs are gross and I’m glad that they seem to be losing favor among consumers.

Belgian White is the best style of beer.

That is all.

I’ll be honest, I’m not much of a drinker, more so a 420 advocate. So, I’m actually not too sure what qualifies as craft beer, but here’s some beer I like:
Kilkenny, Newcastle, and Yuengling’s. However, if I’m having a drink, it’s more likely a Jameson+ginger ale instead of a beer.

2 Likes

How was your first beer in half a year? Everything you remembered and dreamed or a bit of a let down? Been thinking of going dry for a while, curious what prompted your hiatus?

It was good! My alcohol tollerance has gone right down so I could really feel it.

What prompted it? Well last year I was drinking frequently and quite heavily, it was mostly a form of self medication to deal with anxiety, stress and depression caused by a terrible job I felt stuck in at the time. I have since found new employment, however I decided to take a proper break to clear my head and I am really glad that I did as it was certainly beneficial to my health :slight_smile:

3 Likes

1 Like

I’ll bet that first sip peeled your eyelids back a bit.

Utmost respect for anyone who lays down anything they consider to be a vice. Self control is in short supply it seems these days.

I’m currently under the impression that craft beer is from smaller, local breweries (like Stone from when i was in SD or Maumee Bay Brewing in NW Ohio) but I honestly have no idea lol. Like I said, I’m not really much of a drinker. Maybe once a month, if that.

1 Like

Ehhhh, IPAs aren’t my favorite style (especially if I’m having more than one). But I wouldn’t say I think they are “gross”.

That said, they were WAY over produced there for a while and everybody ignored all the other rad beer styles. Thankfully that seems to be coming to an end. Far more browns, reds, porters, pilsners, lagers, sours, etc on taps these days. Still, I popped into the news brewery in my neighborhood the other day for their “sift” opening…3 out of 4 the beers they had on tap were IPAs. I’m hoping that’s just because they are just starting and waiting for other batches to be done.

I’ve been dipping my toes in trying beers. Most stick to scotch. I know I enjoy a good sour, but this caught my eye. Made in Iowa.

1 Like

I used to agree before I tried what is referred to as a ‘Juicy Hazy IPA’. It takes the depth of flavor from a normal gross IPA, and replaces a lot of the bitterness with a much more pleasant fruity flavor. Standouts are DDH MT6 from Modern Times, and Hop Chowdah from Goldwater.

I also am happy they’re kind of going out of style though. I love me some thick stouts, sweet porters, and tangy AF sours. Wish I had a little more money to spend on it though.

3 Likes