Learning other peoples tricks

I’ve seen some bad comments and some good remarks on learning other peoples tricks.
I’m talking about taking a player ex. Jensen and just learning the entire trick of, lets say,
from the Ghost clip. Things from what I understand about doing this:

1. Using it as a learning tool to expand your knowledge of mounts/etc.
  2. You’ve plateaued and need to seek a way of getting better.
  3. Inspiration from a specific player that you may want to learn an aspect of his/her playing
    to give your style a little bit of jazz.

As for posting the entire trick as a tutorial,
The good: helps the community learn a trick, benefits everyone.Why?
Some kids/teens/dudes learning curves are weaker/stronger than
others and some people just can’t get the grasp of watching a trick with
no explanation as how to breakdown a certain part that they want to learn.
And then there’s the bad. Yes by doing so, it allows everyone to learn
a trick that could have taken the original player, a very long time to
create the trick. With that, you may see loads of videos/ players
just performing other peoples’ tricks without the creativity of their own
tricks.

It’s just a thought… I guess I got tired of seeing people bagging on others
just because they learned some one’s trick. Learning is supposed to be
fun. I’m very curious as what others
may think of this subject?

2 Likes

awesome topic. i both makes tricks myself and learning cool tricks. i’m fed up with my bud saying only losers learn other people tricks, and the result is they doesn’t have the IDEA at all, and makes a tons.
yoyoing is about sharing tricks with your friend. if it’s way too wrong, there should have made a rule

Hmm I thought the purpose of such forums as this was to help one another improve and share the joy of yoyoing. Sometimes it helps to learn someone elses trick, gives you a new perspective of the possibilities as well as a different feel for yoyo play. Why would anyone hate when learning anothers trick? It’s really a ver nice compliment. Oh…anyone here ever learn the trapeze? Who created that trick?

2 Likes

I don’t understand why people look down on people who learn other people’s tricks. When Paul Escolar invented GT, everyone wanted it. Jason Lee and chopsticks. John Ando made body elements popular and Mickey’s horizontal play. The same people who look down on people who learn other people’s tricks are probably the same ones who hopped the bandwagon and play yoyo like the guys I mentioned above.

I mean, really. What are the chances that you don’t see a GT on a routine/video?

normally when i watch a video of a certain player i don’t learn their tricks, but i take elements from them. lets say for an example the player does a certain move or mount that i really like. i can remember that and innovate it somehow into my own tricks. Although in the begging it’s inevitable to learn other peoples tricks, once you get better you can build off of things other people have made. That’s the joy of creating tricks in actuality hahaha!

normally when i watch a video of a certain player i don’t learn their tricks, but i take elements from them. lets say for an example the player does a certain move or mount that i really like. i can remember that and innovate it somehow into my own tricks. Although in the begging it’s inevitable to learn other peoples tricks, once you get better you can build off of things other people have made. That’s the joy of creating tricks in actuality hahaha!