Learn to Win Absurdity - Presented by OPYOYOS x YoYoExpert

You can do it Toby. I know you well enough to know how quickly you pick things up and I’m here if you need help.

I’ve been given a lot of advice for my next tutorials and I’m definitely taking it all on board. Unfortunately, the tutroials for this contest are already recorded (all in the same place and style) so they’re all going to suffer from the same drawbacks, but in future I’ll try to do better.

8 Likes

You’re doing super well Min. I told you it’s going to be hard but you’re definitly rising to it. Mega impressed!

6 Likes

By hook or by crook, this trick’s just not in my book.

Enjoying the contest Jordan, nice one.

4 Likes

Haha how could I not.

When I see something like this,

My childish nature goes “Challenge Accepted”

Must admit it’s been super taxing on me and I have been spending every spare minute on this trick and when I am not this is all my brain thinks about all day. I even dream about it these days. Lol.

12 Likes

watch it five times (or in slow mo) then go do something else for a little while, then repeat. i promise you’ll start to learn it

6 Likes

First one out of 3!
Link! (Was having issues with Instagram embeds)

6 Likes

Nice!

4 Likes

Nice dude. And welcome BTW!

3 Likes

Nice one. Well done!

3 Likes

Sweet!
Looking good there Alek, lol pity about the missed bind :laughing: let’s ask Morgan what he thinks :rofl:

1 Like

Here’s my entry for the first trick. For someone that complained about the quality of your video, mine is not very good either. Tell me if you need me to redo it.

4 Likes

He was actually in the room while I was shooting the video :laughing: I was trying to teach him how to do it just prior :rofl:

2 Likes

No need to refilm it, you nailed it. Great work!

3 Likes

Side note - I’m keeping a spreadsheet of everyone who lands the trick so I can make sure everyone gets the correct amount of entries.

I can’t wait to see more!

4 Likes

I am really enjoying learning to nail this trick, it has pushed my yo-yoing skills beyond the comfort zone.

But I need serious help with that hook.
Serious help.

5 Likes

What are you having trouble with?

1 Like

I would say everything.
But I’ll try be more specific.

The two main problems currently are:

It’s hard for me to grab the string with my throw hand as I whip it around without effecting the power of the whip.

And I can’t get the string to to whip around my non-throw hand far enough for it hook onto the yoyo. I can see the string coming over my hand but it doesn’t seem to go far enough.

Thanks!

5 Likes

Ah have you been watching my practice sessions?
This sounds exactly like me.

I even drove two hours each way in a storm to see Jordan yesterday and spent 6 hours learning the hook. 6 hours of almost non stop hook practice later I now understand what I need to do but still not got one to land even with careful and excellent tutelage by the creator himself.

I even learnt -1.0 and Brent Stole hooks in time before I went down hoping more hooks I know the easier it will be to learn and for Jordan to teach me lol. Turns out it didn’t help other than a seized shoulder :rofl:

I also struggle with grabbing the string with my TH as the whip comes round. And when I do I don’t get enough of a whip to go around the hand to land the hook. But it’s not a power restriction. I think I just need to practice the motion enough now to get it whipping with minimum effort.
Grabbing the string on the other hand is weird to me can’t see to quite do it yet.

5 Likes

For this part I suggest to stick out your nth index finger so that the string loops around it and not around you whole hand. Also keep your hands close together (with the yoyo in the middle) when doing the hook. That worked for me

6 Likes

This is awesome! /cheer

4 Likes