Law of Diminishing Returns

Hello!

I’ve been chasing Kwijibo for the past 48 hours. The majority of that time has been spent focusing on the final element- the pop to double or nothing, the other parts I got relatively locked in quickly! However, I’m starting to get to a point where I can’t even hit that first pop now, I’m assuming because of fatigue.

Have you experienced this sort of fatigue from chasing one single trick? Any tips to combat it because to be honest, I’m stubborn and I’m so close to nailing it!

9 Likes

Take a break. Move onto some other tricks or set it down all together. Take a break half the day but the other half don’t grind that one trick just to be fatigued again. Try some other tricks until you feel better.

10 Likes

Thank you! I know I need to but I’m just dying to figure out this last part of the trick! :cry:

4 Likes

The fact that you’ve obsessed over it, will increase your chances of hitting it after taking a break.

11 Likes

That’s a good point! I think I’ll take a breather!

8 Likes

When this happens to me, I just work on getting other elements smoother and general flow. Revisit the trick after a while or sleep on it. Are you having problems visualizing what to do, or are you just unable to stick the landing? Iirc it took me a couple weeks to land it, and months to get it consistent.

7 Likes

yeah this is definitely a reoccurring thing for me, ill start to get better but eventually, when i get stuck and the temper goes up i get worse, usually when i come back to it the next day or do some tricks i can 100p of the time for a while itll come to me

3 Likes

Another thing is don’t ONLY practice the trick from the beginning!

I know some disagree with this, and will say you should always practice from the start of the trick. The thinking being that eventually you’ll get very to a high success rate with all the elements leading up to the one giving you trouble, and then you’ll start to get to that point more often, and you’ll start getting more reps on that element.

To me, the problem is that by the time you get to that element your muscle memory has forgotten what happened the last time, so to speak. Furthermore, while you’re working your way up to that trouble element, you might find yourself distracted thinking about the trouble spot, and miss the stuff leading up to it; making your attempts even more spread out. Lastly by stopping and starting over, you’re actually reinforcing the error.

I think it’s important to try to maximize the number of rep attempts on the trouble element into a short period of time.

In this case you’ll need to figure out how to get into that cross arm formation before the last hop. That can be a bit cryptic here, but there are more ways than one to accomplish it. Figuring that kind of thing out is also good for your yoyo trick composition thinking, and will help with your own tricks, combos, and variations. See if you can come with a short repeater to help you get max reps in the shortest time on that element. Use that philosophy on the next element you have trouble with.

DO spend a lot of your time playing all the way through tricks, but IMO that should more often happen after you’re comfortable with the individual elements in the trick.

4 Likes

This x 9000

I try to work out individual elements more often than not now, and I learn tricks in minutes to hours instead of days to weeks. Some of that is because I’m just better than I used to be, but not that much.

The only exceptions are if I have the individual elements down and putting them together smoothly is the hard part, or if I just can’t figure out a way to get into the right string configuration without going through the trick. In the latter case I work on the beginning of the trick till I can speed through it almost effortlessly to whatever part is giving me trouble, so I can still just focus on the hard part(s).

Another thing I do is I watch a trick over and over and memorize the whole thing or as much as possible, or at least have a good overview of it in my mind, then I can do more reps without having to refer back to a video over and over. Sometimes that leaves me with details to figure out, and sometimes I figure it out a little differently than whatever tutorial I’m using, and that’s helped me learn to figure out tricks that don’t have tutorials available.

I’m still just ok at throwing, but this method of learning tricks has made my progress so much less stressful… and also possible at all with how limited my time is now.

3 Likes

Isolate the problem, hop high, hop low, hop medium, add slack to it, reduce slack. When you find what works, it will be fine and you’ll be able to do it 95% of the time. Slow down tutorials, that helps too. I’m going to guess you don’t have enough slack in the string, you rush is and there’s no place to land.

2 Likes