Kwijibo question

So what actually constitutes a Kwijibo? Is it only the final hop into DoN?

I ask because I know of two different ways to get into the arms-crossed position that precipitates that last hop-and-uncross-into-DoN move:

• Throw into 1.5 mount and cross the arms over in one motion (this is how Dylan Kowalski and Tom Velto like to do it).
  • Throw into a trapeze, then hop-cross-and-catch into the same position as above (this is how @AndreBoulay teaches it).

AFAICT, both are referred to as Kwijibo but the only thing they have in common is the final mount position that you hop out of, uncross and land into DoN.

I think the 1.5 mount beginning would just be considered a variation

This is Kwyjibo.

4 Likes

The first hop puts you into 1.5 essentially. Don’t think it really matters either way, just preference

So then Kwijibo would be described as these two elements:

1. Get into a crossed 1.5 mount however you like.
  2. Pop the yoyo up and uncross into Double or Nothing.

Wasn’t kwijibo required to be started form a trapeze, then cross your arms and land the yoyo on the front string (which is basically a cross-arm 1.5 mount)?

I always considered that the hop needed to be fully vertical, and the yoyo needed to land straight down into the cross arm string config. Any other way is cheating imo.

3 Likes

According to who? The fella that created it? I don’t think so. I mean… feel free to do whatever you want but “Kwyjibo” starts in a trapeze. The yoyo hops straight up in the air and is intersected…

Eliminating the trapeze and vertical hop is just eliminating part of the trick.

5 Likes

That’s exactly the kind of clarity I was looking for. Judging from @shatterFX’s comment, there is some dispute among players as to what defines Kwijibo.

Things in yoyo most certainly can and do evolve, but to answer the initial question (to me) means how was the trick done originally.

4 Likes

Oh, and since it is spelled Kwyjibo (with a “y”) in the Simpson’s episode, I’m thinking maybe the spelling should be fixed on all the YYE trick ladder info? I keep misspelling it because I only know the name from the yoyo community (which seems to misspell it constantly) and not the show (which I never really watched).

The pop out of straight trapeze is definitely part of Kwyjibo. Just throwing into 1.5 and continuing from there is skipping part of the trick for sure.

I wouldn’t say I dispute what the trick is, just that I don’t think it matters that much. If you’re talking “officially,” then yeah, you start from trapeze, based on probably any video tutorial of it.
I was just saying the first hop of the trick puts you into a 1.5, then you cross your hands, then hop to double or nothing - it’s just people usually rotate past the 1.5 because of the momentum of the yoyo.

Sorry, that’s my fault. I should have been a bit more clear that I was asking about the “official” form of the trick in its fullest expression. In that sense, the details matter, at least to me.

1 Like