IYYF/Worlds 2023 Music Rule Changes

leaked playlist of the songs contestants are using for WYYC 2023

3 Likes

If my reconnaissance was successful, I believe the person I @ on the forums to complain about this is…

@unklesteve

?

Would love some commentary from the other side to understand the decision making process here.

2 Likes

Official statement from Steve about it (from the CLYW discord)

TL;DR: “We hear you and are working on it”

8 Likes

I would like to add, that sending hatefull messages to anyone will not help at all and is just wrong no matter what.

8 Likes

Yes, this 100%, do not harass anyone!

2 Likes

As a competitor this baffles me like seriously I had multiple songs already edited since 2016 and waiting to be used in my future competitions, if this rule don’t change might as well creating my own music or just use DOVA SYNDROME non copyright songs that don’t vibe with me.

1 Like

This was my first thought when I started reading this thread.

1 Like

Interesting read.

I loved the reference to Evan’s 2018 worlds.

If the reason is a “Money Grab” can some one break down YouTube economics for me.

I just looked at Evan’s 2018 worlds and it has 531k views. What is the payout on this? Excluding the pre-video ads.

I’m just curious and maybe others reading this thread will have a clearer picture as well.

Edit: Google search shows about 5 dollars earned per 1,000 views. So if I am understanding the complaints, if this video would have had a No Copyright song it would have made nearly $2,700 dollars over the last 4 years.

Thanks.

As of 2023 Worlds, this change won’t be affecting me personally as I have written and have full ownership of the song I will be using this year. For that reason, I feel I can have a pretty objective take on this situation.

I think the absolute ban of profanity, even if censored is too far. Lots of songs played on the radio have censored profanity. This will massively restrict the options competitors have.

I do have some questions as well for the IYYF regarding copyright.
Question 1: What kind of licensing is required to use a particular song? Is it sufficient if I just buy a song from the itunes store and use that? Or do I need to purchase a license from ASCAP or BMI? Licensing can be a very complicated process. If this doesn’t get cleared up, then competitors will have no choice but to use non-copyrighted music.
Question 2: If I cut/remix a song, will I need a license to the original? If so, that will add a whole lot of complication, especially if I want to remix multiple different songs together.

I can understand if the IYYF wants to be safe in regards to legal issues. We as competitors and spectators must accept that we don’t have full scope of the issues that the IYYF sees. Perhaps it’s a way to bring in more money, or perhaps there are genuine legal concerns that we are not aware of. I really hope to see updates from the IYYF giving more details about all of these rule changes, because at the moment, it’s quite vague.

9 Likes

the response is out

6 Likes

It was a little soon to cut peoples world music this year when it comes to profanity. But as someone who is taking my 2 year old to a contest in a couple days, I get it. I haven’t thought once about him being exposed to profanity in music simply because I always thought it was a rule and its a Yo-yo contest. Most venues do not want profanity being played at their venue simply because at the contest I’ve been too in the last 15 years there is always another business being conducted besides the contest.

At the end of the day, Uncle Steve and the IYYF made the correct decision to put it off until the end of the year. They tried to give an answer that the majority of people would agree with and had hate directed at them as a result.

Contest are meant for all of us and I look forward to all of us helping further with the IYYF in the future. Its simply amazing to me that three people are running the show due to lack of participation from our community. I know personally I would love to help in any way possible and hope too in the future. :heart:

4 Likes

https://iyyf.org/official-statement-on-music-rules-for-wyyc2023/

I think it’s super important to note a few things:

1. Our communication was absolute trash on this. This should all have been done fully a year ago, and all of this should have been run through a larger group of players for feedback & editing before posting. Had that happened, we would definitely have realized this was a bad solution to the bleeping issue and an unclear ask for the copyright issue.

2. The copyright issue that we have is that JASRAC is incredibly strict about music rights in Japan and so we as an organization have to have official language that discourages piracy and encourages proper, legal methods of obtaining (purchasing) your music. Also, players submit some really garbage quality files for Worlds, and when run through a $100k sound system the results aren’t great.

Translating this from Japanese to English made it unclear what we were actually asking, so instead of literally any human being in the yoyo community with my phone number calling me for clarification, the immediate assumption is that we wanted copyright free music so that we could make a few hundred bucks off YouTube views.

I would like to remind people that the IYYF is myself, Hironori, and Ondra Sedivy. We’ve proven ourselves and our motives time and time again. There are plenty of ways to contact us. Next time you have a question or concern, feel free to reach out.

1. The bleeping/blanking issue isn’t going away, and it was caused entirely by competitors doing a bad job of following the rules about clean music that have been in place for the entire history of the World YoYo Contest. Our solution obviously isn’t the one and this is getting kicked down the road for me to deal with at next year’s contest in the interest of fairness to the players, but please, for the love of all that is decent in this world, do your part and edit your songs correctly. Gentry did it beautifully, let that be your measure of success.

I’m embarrassed by how late and poor our communication was on all this, and as a community y’all absolutely deserve better from us. I apologize for that, and promise to do better.

19 Likes

Talk dirty to me lol

For real though, thank you for the clear, transparent communication and owning up to the poor choices that lead to the miscommunication in the first place

1 Like

required regulatory language and bad translations is what’s going to give me a small stroke at work. I feel for you on that one.

2 Likes