Isn't soloham just multi-diabolo with extra steps?

No, it’s not! And I’m not the only one who thinks so! I spoke with 4a world yoyo champion Michael Nakamura about a ton of interesting 4a yoyo theory on this week’s episode of the “kill your yoyo” podcast, but one interesting point he made was that soloham is pretty boring if it’s just a rip off of the tricks that diabolo players have already been doing for decades.

He argued that the best use of soloham would take advantage of the unique abilities that an offstring yoyo has over a diabolo, more specifically, the ability to bind, the speed of a lighter prop, and the lack of handsticks. With these features, soloham is its own unique art and in time it will continue to differentiate itself from multi-diablo while still retaining lots of the neat overlap (like orbits around different body parts and the ability to do anti spins). Listen to everything he had to say in the full episode available at this link!

5 Likes

That’s like saying isn’t soloham just 3a?

Absolutely. But at first, that was sort of the general perception. I know at first I thought soloham was just a novelty. Over time it’s definitely differentiated itself, but to the uninitiated, it might seem just like double diabolo even today!

To be fair, a lot of basic soloham tricks are taken straight from diabolo, like orbits and wraps and it doesn’t really help that soloham players often do those tricks instead of tricks that are more unique to 4A yoyos.

1 Like

Nice podcast, I enjoyed listening to it.

Ive only gotten about 30 minutes in but plan to finish it up soon. subscribed :call_me_hand:

Eyyyyy glad you’re enjoying it!